Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catharine442

Here it is - Catharine's Kitchen Reveal - Paleo Style

Catharine442
9 years ago

THANKS everybody for your advice! Here it is.
There used to be more cabinets than we needed.
I follow the paleo diet so I wanted a different type of kitchen. You donâÂÂt need lots of cabinets for crackers and stuff if you are a paleo homemaker - lots of cooking space though! (We have a freezer with a side of beef in the garage too.) We finished at the end of September. My sister encouraged me to design the kitchen for my style of cooking and to look at the space itself before deciding on materials. The first three pictures are
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Comments (65)

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

The splash of turquoise is perfect. It's so crisp & refreshing. Can you tell me where you got the light fixtures or the brand? Thank you. Enjoy your kitchen.

• wags848
    9 years ago

Love it! So unique and full of charm. I really like your offset faucet w/sprayer; haven't seen one like that before...nice.

Enjoy your new space. Wonderful job!

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

Very pretty. That last shot of your sink could be in a kitchen design magazine.

Is your GE Profile range induction? I just got mine and am loving it so much.

What's behind the little curtain on the side of your peninsula?

I'm not confused by the couch at all. Looks like a nice sunny spot to relax with a cup of your preferred beverage and enjoy the view (inside and out). Enjoy!

• Liesl123
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Would you mind sharing the counter tops that you selected?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Really cool! And bravo for making it truly suit your lifestyle!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

This is neat!

Can you tell me the dimensions of your kitchen? Mine is 13x23 and I've been torn on whether to keep my long, narrow island or remove it for breathing room, like you've done.

Where do the doors on the range wall lead?

I like that you have a nice area to unload groceries for the fridge. I'd have probably used it for the mixer and/or toaster oven as I like room by my cooktop and hate people all up in my business while I'm cooking, LOL!

I confess, I love the look of fewer cabs but I have a cookware/serveware/china obsession and want those behind doors. I don't think I'd be as brave as you unless I had a big butler's pantry.
    You've inspired me to clean up and get my stuff in order!

• allison0704
    9 years ago

Very pretty, especially the colors. It's a very welcoming space.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

Simply gorgeous. As in, simple and gorgeous! You made some great choices. It is so inspiring!

• EricColbert
    9 years ago

Interesting shelf and storage solutions yo've got in the new kitchen! I never knew that going Paleo would reduce so much of the requirement for shelf space this drastically! But with kids running around the house, I think it's inevitable for me to have some crackers in the house so the cabinets are a must for us! Anyway we've got a tonne of crockery, so short of renting of self storage units...

Here is a link that might be useful: Supercheap Storage New Zealand

• fldirt
    9 years ago

Stunning! Love your lights & colors you choose.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

I love that you personalized it for paleo! I don't eat paleo, but I eat lots of fresh foods and not much packaged foods. My friends laugh at my empty food storage when they visit. So much standard kitchen advice really doesn't apply, and it can be hard to filter out. Kudos!

Wow, looking back at the photos -- What did you think about the cooktop on that tiny little island before?! Glad you moved it. That looks dangerous!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It's so nice! I bet you love it. It brightened up the space so much. I love your hood and the flooring is so pretty. Great job all around!

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Your new space is so filled with charm and personality! You must be so thrilled with it. It's hard to decide my favourite parts, but I love the wall scones, the backsplash to the ceiling and the "unfitted" look of the range wall with the open shelves and hanging utensils.
    Well done!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Any chance you could take a picture of just the flooring with maybe a little of the cabinet next to it?

I've never seen a herringbone floor in that color combo.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Very pretty! What a dramatic change.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I also would like a better look at the floor! Overall it is a lovely job, you created a lovely fresh space. Love the lights by the stove and the colors.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks practical gal!

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi EAM44, nom nom paleo is a great blog.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks OOTM and deedles , crl and gooster. @gooster: Is that called a bulkhead? I didn't have a word for that...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks romy718! I do love cooking in it - and lying on the sofa too...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks juddgirl2. The color is Sherwin Williams "aqueduct" but the cabinet makers put something in the paint that changes the color a little - like the white cabs were nothing like the SW "snowbound" which I am very happy about actually.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks desertsteph and artillery! It took them so long to finish my kitchen - I used to take naps in there just to get some use out of it.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks smalloldhouse and Christina222. Yeah, it took me a long time to find a floor appropriate for the Austin stone around here (house is Austin stone and some interior stone too). I love the floor. I have some bamboo in connecting rooms that I am not crazy about and it looks okay with that, so.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks enduring! I like the Kohler Side Spray but it IS strong when on hot. No force control at the hot end of the dial...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi lazygardens - you of all people should understand the sofa in the kitchen!!! I'm lazy too.
    It's a chaise, sofa, futon thingie from World Market and yes it is where we ate for the ten years my youngest had to live in the dining room. Now that there is no wall into the dining room, I figure I don't need another eating area next to kitchen. We might have a built in window seat added if we decide we don't miss the table.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@bicylegirl: All of the wall sconce lights are from Schoolhouse Electric which is a reasonably priced fabricator that uses a lot of USA-made parts including the shades.
    @wags848 Thanks! Yeah, the Kohler is the only independent sprayer on the market I think. I had to get the Rohl faucet because it could be used without its side sprayer.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Catharine, you're telling me there is volume control until you get to hot, then its just "full on"? I had the faucet in a box for my bathroom remodel but that was several years ago and can't remember the handle operation other than it was a lever on the side. I never had it hooked up. I was going to put it in my 36" vanity that I had made to accommodate an off set soapstone farm sink I made. The counter on the side would have been too crowded to handle the faucet and the general bathroom stuff thats needed at a sink. We even did all the rough in plumbing for it. My plumber was bummed, lol. He's a character loves to talk cattle with my DH. We have a small cow/calf herd.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ beanpiele Thanks! Yes that is the induction. I love it. Very responsive and very powerful ( I can't get natural gas here.) The little curtain is covering the place for the microwave but I am currently experimenting with not using the microwave which is still over in the hall where my temp kitchen was. So behind the curtain is my kombucha and lunch boxes and coke bottles and other ugly stuff..

This post was edited by Catharine442 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 16:25

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Liesl123 Thanks!The countertops are Carrara marble and I love them! They are already etched and stained in places even though they were sealed. BUT I DON'T CARE. Well, I care, but not enough to get fake marble.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kiwigem! My sister turned me on to GW and I got so much good advice and so many good ideas from everybody - mostly to make it the way I want and to really think about it. I was just going to say "give me some new cabinets and move the stove,". My sister said "Whoaaaa, wait a minute, this is your chance to get what you want."

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@alex9179
    Thank you. Well, not including the recessed cooking run or the bay window (which is too low for cabinets or anything and is on the other side of a path to my room) the kitchen itself is 12' by 17.5'. See screen shot of plan below.
    The left door leads to my room and the right door leads into a laundry room and then the garage.
    I actually wanted to keep utilitarian stuff away from the dining room, so no mixer or blender on the peninsula. But I did design the whole kitchen to keep lay people out of the cooking side. They mostly stay by the peninsula, the fridge, the left side of sink and maybe use the smart oven at right end of cooking run.

I have my good china, my vases, fancier platters, etc. up in those cabinets above the sink run. Also a lot of stuff I hardly ever use is up in that super deep cabinet above the fridge. It holds A LOT. Cereal, crackers and other temptations my family won't totally give up are in the front up there too and I am the shortest so I am dissuaded from the non-paleo goodies up there.)
    I also plan to have a hutch built for the dining room.

I'm glad I inspired you to get your stuff in order - I got rid of a lot of stuff but I got to keep a lot of stuff too. Also, I do have a couple of upper cabs over my washing machine I can use for paper goods, stocked up items, etc.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ enduring
    Yay cow/calf herd!
    Yes, there is only one control on that side sprayer. So, it starts off at low volume and cold, then goes stronger as it gets hotter! I know, it's kind of a bummer cuz you have to choose between full force hot and varying degrees of force:temp ratio...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks allison0704 and nancyjwb!

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ EricColbert
    here's what I told alex:
    I have my good china, my vases, fancier platters, etc. up in those cabinets above the sink run. Also a lot of stuff I hardly ever use is up in that super deep cabinet above the fridge. It holds A LOT. Cereal, crackers and other temptations my family won't totally give up are in the front up there too and I am the shortest so I am dissuaded from the non-paleo goodies up there.)
    I also plan to have a hutch built for the dining room.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks fldirt!

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@maxmillion
    Thanks!
    I hated that stupid island. It must have once had a jennair type exhaust because the vent was still in the cabinet underneath and was a neat highway for scorpions from outside :-/
    When our three girls were little I had a kind of fence around the cooktop. Oh brother...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey gr8day!! Thanks!
    Nice to hear from you. Thanks for your help.

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@AineLane - Thank you so much for the kind words. I do love it.
    @Thanks cat mom

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure MareLuce!
    It is tumbled travertine from Mexico (less "holey" than Turkish) and this color is often called "Noce." There is a high "V" number - very high color variation among the stone tiles.
    Here's a picture.

This post was edited by Catharine442 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 16:32

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@MGMum Thanks!
    @ Hydragea - I had the brushed nickel knobs that are elsewhere in the kitchen up on those high glass-front cabinets at first, but I thought they clashed with the sconces under there so I got some plain unfinished knobs and painted them to match the cabinets (which was the same as the trim color that was left over.)

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks raee! Such nice words.
    Here's the floor

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@crl_ I forgot to mention the toe kicks. My cabinet maker, who delayed my kitchen completion by about 2 months (bless his heart), suggested those toe "sweeps" to make sweeping easier - and it is. I asked for "feet" on the cabinets so they would look more furniture-like but I didn't want anything too ornate.

This post was edited by Catharine442 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 16:31

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should tell y'all that I count the side table(s) next to the chaise as part of my kitchen cabinets. That was part of the plan and why I am finding ones with storage...

• Catharine442
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also I used Autodesk Homestyler application to plan my kitchen. It is so realistic, does square footage measurements on flooring and you can look at a 360 panoramic video of your design. I'm attaching my virtual kitchen so you can see how close it was. The 360 'videos' are much more realistic.

Here is a link that might be useful: virtual kitchen pic

• marleyny
    9 years ago

wow this looks incredible! Love how dramatic it is. Desperate to makeover my kitchen as well.

• Lily Spider
    9 years ago

Just ran across this & was wondering about the counters. She said they are marble and they are stained & etched but she doesn't care. She still loves them. I want marble too but so afraid of them getting wrecked & my getting upset. I just love the look of them!

I need someone to tell me "just go for it!"

Thx!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

My favorite item is the lighting above the sink. I think I'm going to go with something like that.

If I had that duct tape in my kitchen, my kids would totally have come along with more . . . and make that triangle into a Deathly Hallows sign.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Your kitchen has such personality. Big Congrats!