Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

Kohler Whitehaven sink - yay or nay? other sink/facuets ?s

lmgch
9 years ago

KD is strongly recommending the 36" whitehaven sink for our main sink - her experience is that it's more durable than the fireclay rohl. plus the design allows it to sit on a 36" sink base cabinet, which works just right for our layout.

i prefer the look of the rohl and that it's one extra inch deep. but could live with and probably end up liking...loving...the kohler. but would appreciate any thoughts on why it's a good choice, or why it's not!

we are also going to put a 24" sink in the island. wondering how people normally do things - do you end up doing a different material for the prep sink? i was thinking SS, but would that be strange? would appreciate recos for a good prep sink.

also please reco your favorite faucets for function and style - function being primary for me.

many thanks

Comments (5)

• User
    9 years ago

I don't have it yet but I am getting the Kohler Whitehaven 36" single bowl sink. I am getting the one with the shorter apron front, but it still has the 9" depth. I wanted an apron front sink and chose the Whitehaven for the reasons your KD stated.

There have been threads on this forum about fireclay sinks and some problems that may occur that the Whitehaven enameled cast iron sink won't have. Mostly, a more difficult installation due to the irregularity of handmade fireclay sinks like the Rohl (the irregularity is also part of the Rohl's charm at the same time!), and reports of crazing over time, particularly around the drain. If you are getting a disposal, a fireclay sink needs an extended flange - not a big deal, but kinda one more thing extra that you won't have to do with the Whitehaven sink. I agree that the Rohl fireclay sinks are gorgeous, but it's such a permanent part of the kitchen, that I didn't want to worry about the risks. Having said that, because the sink is such a permanent part of the kitchen that you will use every day, if you love the fireclay sink, let your KD know, cause you should get what you love.

I am linking a thread below about fireclay sinks, plus a nice video from Kohler on the Whitehaven.

Regarding your other question about a 2nd sink. My kitchen will not have a 2nd sink, but if it did, I would get a Blanco Silgranit sink as my prep sink. I had a Silgranit sink in my last kitchen and I loved it. The only reason I am not getting it again is because I wanted an apron front sink and Silgranit does not come in apron front. The Silgranit was so easy care, it was amazing. I hated the stainless sinks I've had in the past which scratched, showed water marks and never looked clean. If you get a Silgranit prep sink in white or biscuit (a creamier white), it will go with your main sink. Blanco will mail you color chips if you phone them and ask. Alternatively, you could get a matching enameled cast iron sink as your prep sink.

GW Thread about Fireclay Sinks

Kohler Video about the Whitehaven Sinks

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 8:46

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

The old rap against Kohler enamel cast iron sinks was that, over time, they used to chip. They seem to have improved the durability -- can't think of a single complaint on that recently.

The Rohl fireclay sink is, overall, very durable. But it requires a sink grid to avoid chipping. There was a time when they seemed to be cracking from the center but no recent complaints on that.

My Rohl/Shaw's is 10 now and in great shape. One reason to use it over the Kohler is that it can be pulled forward in the cabinet to make it really comfortable to use. Because you essentially stand against the sink.

Kohler's is designed to cover the sides of the cabinets slightly so it cannot be pulled forward.

As for depth, remember that a sink grid -- needed with either sink -- reduces the depth by 1 inch. I honestly wish my Rohl were deeper but I had a 10-inch deep stainless single bowl sink in our apartment for comparison. That was not pulled forward as it was under mounted. So I had to lean in.

As with everything, there are trade offs. However, Whitehaven vs Rohl are two good choices.

Additionally there are other fireclay and vitreous porcelain sinks made by other manufacturers though Rohl is best known.

• nancyj
    9 years ago

I have a Whitehaven 36" and love it. We just put it in 2 months ago so we haven't used it a long time but no problems thus far. I have small kids and so we make a lot of pasta, and I was concerned about potential crazing in the Rohl caused by draining boiling pasta water. I honestly don't know how legitimate of a concern that is, but with the Whitehaven I don't worry about it at all. I have a sink grid in my Whitehaven and really like it so far.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

I just chose a 30" Kohler Whitehaven sink. So far I really like it. One of the local kitchen showrooms has a display of this sink with a heavy pan next to it. They encourage you the beat the heck out of the sink with the pan to test it. I did, and was surprised at how durable the finish was. No scratches, chips, or dents. The carbon from the pan would leave a scuff mark if you really dragged it across the surface (with a lot of pressure), but those marks came out with a bit of soft scrub. I have a very small prep sink in also in white Kohler enameled cast iron. I don't expect this sink to have lots of heavy pans or pots in it, so I am not as worried about the finish getting damaged.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I have the 36" kohler whitehaven in cane sugar, LOVE IT! I also have a prep sink, Franke, SS. It is a nice sink, but I wish I had looked for another similar finish to the whitehaven, only becaue the whitehaven looks so good all the time, and the ss sink always has waterspots. I dont choose to spend my time polishing sinks, so the ss will almost always have waterspots...which wouldnt have bothered me if I didnt have the whitehave to compare it to constantly.