Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedonamazer

New shaker kitchen

sedonamazer
11 years ago

Posting first picture of new kitchen. We increased the size from 12 by 16 with 5 (yes 5!) doors to an open plan kitchen. The kitchen opens to the family room now and we've eliminated 1 door, replaced a sliding door with a single Anderson Frenchwood and increased the size to 12 by 20 by moving the powder room.

What you see in this picture is the Broan Sopresso fan, vented to the outside. We chose it because it would not block the view. However, it was supposed to be inserted into a kitchen without a second floor and be flush. Because we had a second floor, the fan hung down 11 inches and I needed to make a custom stainless surround for it.

The chairs are Stickley.

We have all custom cabinets under the peninsula. The counter is quartzite (Maya) and under the Anderson Bay, we have inserted a 7 foot length of glass counter. You see our counter depth Kitchenaid in the distance. Floors are porcelain that look like slate.

Comments (56)

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a view of my Stainless steel pantry from the other angle. This is an Ultracraft cabinet. It was 1/3 of the price of a custom SS pantry. It's 12 inches deep and it really works well. This is a picture of my Thermador convection/conventional oven. It's great! It took awhile to learn the appliances, but they work beautifully. I wish Thermador had courses. I felt I had to learn to recook.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Old 80s kitchen from family room. Useless soffits, cooktop not vented to outside and with my back to the guests. The sink was under the window...which I decided I didn't want...I wanted to hide the dirty dishes!

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New view of kitchen from family room...this was before we put in surround on cooktop fan.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Old view of kitchen...no counterspace! But, my tall husband did like ovens in wall as opposed to under counter.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last but not least...my finished sink area that replaced area above...sexy by night with undercounter lighting...the backsplash shows up.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Is it even the same kitchen???

Sedona,

Is the peninsula "attached" to the cabinets or the counter?

I couldn't tell from the pix.

Love the pantry!!!

• willtv
    11 years ago

Really nice.
    The glass counter is fantastic!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow.
    I love your materials and colors.
    You must be so happy in this new space!

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are really happy...we have double the cabinet space and two more appliances...steam oven and extra dishwasher. eleena, the peninsula is attached to the counter and cabinets. I will try to get better pix. Our kitchen was too narrow for an island and I wanted a big island. After a tantrum and many tears, I agreed to a peninsula again. Our old peninsula only housed a dishwasher. The new one has an oven flanked by two pull out cabinets where I store spices and cooking supplies. On the other side, I have a series of cabinets underneath the peninsula for items I use infrequently. Thanks for the compliments! We started with the KD in July, redid and redid...he hated the fact that I didn't want the sink under the window...and finally began construction May 1. It is now October and we still aren't done...because we moved the powder room and the laundry room to make room for the slightly expanded kitchen. We also added 1000 feet in the basement.

• camphappy
    11 years ago

What a transformation! Love your new kitchen with all it's details. How are you liking your quartzite?

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice kitchen!

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Quartzite is easy to care for and I love the striations in the stone. It will still need to be finished every year like granite.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

eleena, I just saw your earlier post. I got my glass at a local high end countertop manufacturer in NY. They also make zinc, stainless steel, copper, cement and gorgeous wood counters. One manufacturer is ThinkGlass. Mine was not made by them because the store no longer deals with ThinkGlass. Mine was made in Canada (like ThinkGlass). It comes in clear, amber or deep blue. You must have tops on top of the cabinets and put stainless underneath it as a substrate in order to make it reflect. You can put formica underneath it or paint the underside. Cost....4 times more than my quartzite, which is why there is so little. I would have done a larger area if I could afford it...but I had to have it.

• Rainwood
    11 years ago

One word describes your kitchen: cool. No, make that two words: way cool.

Great job!

• eleena
    11 years ago

Yes, please, more pix of the peninsula, please!

I am really curious.

Four times, oh my!

And I know we'd break it, LOL. I guess some other time, in some other kitchen. Sigh.

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

WOWZA!! Where to begin...an amazing transformation, to be sure.

- Really cool pendants
    - That glass countertop is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen
    - The quartzite is beautiful too.
    - Stainless pantry vavavoom!

Congratulations. Enjoy it!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

What fun to see! Love the SS pantry, your different CT materials, your cabinets and island seating. 5 doorways? Lots of great views of the kitchen now! Congrats on a fabulous transformation. Best, oldbat2be

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Ohhhh, so elegant and beautiful, so many unique choices. I love it!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lovely!!! Such a transformation!!!
    That glass is so sparkly and lovely.
    I wanted to do your peninsula/table in my reno but just could not do because of window placements.
    One word of caution - remind guests that the cooktop is not a cutting board. On my first dinner party - the guests told me to sit while they brought in dessert. I popped in to see one guest cutting the pie on our new induction cooktop. I politely moved them to the counter. No harm done but now I know to cover the cooktop when guests are prepping- I bought a pair of large silicon mats

• cj47
    11 years ago

Whoa..,that's some transformation! I love the pendants, and of course I'm partial to cherry shaker....but, two dishwashers? Sigh, that must be heavenly. Enjoy the new space!

Cj

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous and unique, love it! Tell me about the pendants?

• wdwsue
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Can you tell me more about the floor. Who makes it and the color.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

That is a fabulous kitchen! Congratulations on a job well done!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It's magazine cover gorgeous. I think saw one of those vent hoods in a magazine not long ago. I thought it was pretty neat there too but it's nice to see it in a real home too. Does it flatten against the ceiling when not in use?

• darbuka
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning!

What a fantastic mix of materials...all eye candy.

Thanks for sharing...and, enjoy!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!
    I saw your title and was thinking "here comes another white shaker kitchen"...yawn.

And then your pictures came in! Gorgeous kitchen, that glass countertop is stunning. Definitely nothing cookie-cutter in there.

Can you provide more details? Are all the cabinets Ultracraft or just the pantry?

• momo7
    11 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is way cool!

You have put some really awesome things in your kitchen and they look great. Love that glass! Would love to see a closeup of your backsplash.

Enjoy.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Mr. Sulu, set "kitchen" to "stun."

Awesome!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

sedonamazer your kitchen is lovely!
    Is Brooks custom the countertop place you used? I was looking into them for a range hood. That glass works SO WELL in your kitchen.
    Could you please share the details of your flooring tile. I have lived with beautiful wood floors in the kitchen and have porcelin tile now and will do this again, and your tile is very much like what I'm looking for.
    I love the peninsula in your kitchen with that wonderful quartzite. Where did you get it?
    Everything works well together. You must be so pleased.

• partyof7
    11 years ago

Beautiful job! The glass counter top is truly amazing!

Please, when you can, post a better picture of your bluestone and glass backsplash. It also looks like a beauty! Thanks.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Beautiful Glass! I want to swim in it : )

• eleena
    11 years ago

Where are the promised additional pix???
    (Insert stomping feet here). :-)

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much. We bought a new house 27 years ago and I hated my kitchen layout then and have been wanting to redo it for 27 years! I started discussions with a couple of architects and then settled on a kitchen designer who was recommended to us. He was independent of any store. We knew we needed more than just a kitchen, so we hired him. He charged us a whopping 3500 for the blueprints. If we bought cabinets through him, he applied a part of that to the cabinets. He purchased than from a Canadian company, Cuisine Ideale. The problem with dealing this way is that I had a limited choice of cabinets. However, I could go anywhere for tile, etc. If I used him, I got his discount and he charged me back 10%. I really didn't save very much with his discount, if anything, but he had good ideas and saved me time. He also sourced contractors for me. I had loads of contractor recommendations from friends but many didn't show up. His did and they followed through with bids because he sourced them work. The contractor I chose through him has done good work, but he has been a trial to work with. He shows up but argues about everything, bullies me, tries to talk me out of what I want, threatens me, and lies. His plumber sub was awful and we fired him. The project started May 1 and will finally complete next week. It involved moving the powder room, the laundry room, expanding 4 feet into the garage, adding 6 windows, removing a window AC, finishing the basement (1000 sq feet), moving doors, painting, adding central AC, redoing the foyer and fixing the living and dining room walls. It was major. We changed the windows in the 3rd floor bathrooms but that was it in the bedroom area. We are sick of the contractor and he is sick of us.

Yes, we got the surround for the ceiling fan and the glass counter from Brooks. We also got our sink there. They do lovely work.

The Ultracraft pantry was purchased from NJ Cabinets. They are super to deal with. We are very pleased with the quality.

The floors are porcelain and were purchased from Sams in White Plains. They weren't expensive....about 6 per sq foot and look just like stone. Sams hides the true manufacturer...There are loads of wonderful porceiain tiles available. We replaced wood. In our basement we used Kardean vinyl loose lay tile that looks like wood and no one can tell it is not wood. It is amazing.

The vent hood is Best Sopresso Cirrus. It is made to go into a one story house and is supposed to go flat into the ceiling. We have a colonial with a kitchen on the second floor (above ground basement is first floor). We found that the hood hung 11 inches down from the ceiling and had to have the surround custom made. It became VERY expensive. The fan is a good alternative as it has LED lights built in and you can get it externally or internally vented.

The cabinets are solid cherry. The side panels are veneer but the doors are not. Interiors are solid wood.

The backsplash is bluestone. The KD ordered glass pieces and had the contractor remove bluestone squares and replace them with the glass in random patterns. At first I thought it would be too dark, but it is very dramatic. He edged the backsplash with something he called pencil molding, which I had never heard of before.

I will post some additional pictures now.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bluestone granite backsplash with pencil molding. These were purchased from Westwood tile in Ossining.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another shot of the backsplash with the Anderson bay window and the glass counter. It took 8 weeks to get the counter in, which delayed the kitchen finishing since cabinets and backsplash and window finishing could not be done til the glass counter was installed.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For those who asked, here is a better view of the peninsula from the front. It houses the oven and the oven is flanked by spice, seasoning and oil cabinets on either side. on the left hand side under the appliance garages is a magic corner and drawers which house my dishes and utensils. There is a hidden third drawer inside the top drawer under the glass counter. I also lived in Europe and own some 220 appliances and have two 220 outlets on the walls so I can use my European appliances, such as a raclette maker and a teapot.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the other side of the peninsula. There are full cabinets with pull out shelves underneath. The long cabinets house a container for dog food at the bottom, and more pull out shelves all the way up.

Folks asked about the pendants. They were purchased at Klaff's in Scarsdale. Klaff's is also located in Danbury and Norwalk, CT. They were not very expensive. I forgot who the manufacturer was. I combed the books until I found what I liked.

All my pull out drawers inside are wood.

My designer came up with the pattern to merge my original wood floors with the new tile. I think he did a nice job with that.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the original layout of the family room separated from the kitchen. You can't even see the kitchen. Directly back to the left is the powder room with a door directly off the family room. The other door leads to mud room which was only 8 by 6 and had 4 doors-one to the garage, one to the family room, one to the deck and one to a back closet. It also housed the washer and dryer. It was a very dark room as the western exposure had all doors and the other exposures were northern and eastern.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Final pic...the wall between the kitchen and family room has been taken down and powder room has been moved. Where its window once was, now is a door to the deck. The cluttered mudroom is now an organized three room suite comprised of a laundry room with a bay window, set apart from the family room by a panel door. The powder room is hidden and you walk in from the garage into an entry way. The room is brighter, because we added a floor to ceiling stained glass window at the front of the house as well.

• jscout
    11 years ago

Well done. It's refreshing to see a kitchen that showcases the natural beauty of wood.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You asked where I got the quartzite...arena stone in NJ. The fabricator was Westwood Tile.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I love the beautiful cabinets, the counters, the floors, the appliances, and the overall look of your gorgeous kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow. I have never ever seen a glass counter like that, it is absolutely stunning!! Great cabs, with all the glass in them too, and so many other things to admire in your lovely kitchen. Congrats.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all for your kind comments. It means a lot. You remodelers know how we agonize about our choices!

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kitchen was in photo shoot today. Here are better shots than those taken with my iphone.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This shot shows right hand view of kitchen opposite wall above with view into dining room. The garbage/recycling to the left of sink and there are two dishwashers to the right of sink. Yes, TWO.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my 6 foot wide SS pantry from Ultracraft.

• sedonamazer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bay window with glass counter

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Absolutely groovin' on both your countertop choices and the wood of your cabinets. Clean lines... beautiful.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I am in love! Just love your new post with the updated pictures!!!
    Great choices and a lovely kitchen!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler