Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selphydeg

Costco tile for a small white kitchen

selphydeg
11 years ago

I was at Costco today and saw these tiles for $5 per sq ft. That's an incredible deal.

I really like the marble mixed tile, but do you think the light blue clash with the brown?

The brown mixed tile is a better match color wise, but seems a little busy.

I also went to a local tile store and here are the Jeffrey Court glass tiles.

Some on sale tiles, but again, is it too busy?

Home Depot tile

I had the ugly Southern CA builder basic with yellow cabinets and white tile.

Eww

One week since the demo started and it is coming along nicely. I am keeping the cost between 20k to 25k because I live in a townhouse.

Comments (18)

• function_first
    11 years ago

Personally I like the blue and brown together, and I agree the other one is too busy. The question is how will it look with your cabinet color? The tile seems very cool in tone, while your cabinets look warm. Not sure they're a go. Any chance you could take a door to costco and snap a pic?

• drewem
    11 years ago

I like the brown and blue together also. Maybe you could buy a sample (just one sheet) and bring it home. Live with it for a few days, and take a picture to show us.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

bump

• peonybush
    11 years ago

I actually like pic #1 (blue) but I would buy a couple sheets and tack it up. I like pic #4 too--the field tile.
    Your new cupboards look really nice.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can get a box at Costco with their generous return policy. The cabinets look creamy due to the lighting. Its classic white from Dura Supreme, not the starkest white they have, but much whiter than their antique white. Thanks for the suggestions.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went to Costco again and this time I took a piece of leftover molding with me.

Used a different camera setting

Then I went to the tile shop in downtown

The first thing that grabbed my attention were those beautiful Porcelanosa slabs. The picture doesn't even convey how lustrous they are. I never considered just doing a big tiles like this, but wow, it was too gorgeous. The downside is that they only come in boxes of 10-15 square ft. I have measure carefully once the counters are in.

Back to more mosaics, they are all neutral color with slightly different shade or texture

This one is the priciest at $23/sq ft yikes

Picking backsplash has being the hardest thing so far. One the one hand, I don't want to spend too much, on the other hand, the labor will cost more than the materials, so I might as well get something perfect right?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

It is a tough decision! I have a crate of tile samples in the basement!
    I need to be on the computer to look at your choices.
    The cabinets are really pretty, so need just the right tile to enhance them!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Funny, I like your most expensive choice the least. I am not a "blue person", but I am really drawn to the blue tile with your brown counter. And, although I love browns and creams, I don't like the brown mix of tiles.
    It comes down to if you really like the blue. You say you have a small kitchen, but really it is a nice size with lots of wall for tile so you have to really love what you pick.
    Make the rounds so you know you have seen everything. You might find something you like better, or this might be the one.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

The mosaic with blue looks great as does the last glass one that you posted above the pricy $23sq. ft. one. I think you might need to get a sample of each and try it in your space. Good luck on your decision. Can't wait to see the results.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, I am not in a hurry for backsplash, but it would be nice to see the kitchen come together. I have been ogling over the Porcelanosa website.

My question is that these tiles come in big 13 X 26 and 13X40 sheets. Is it even possible to tile the backsplash with them? Anyone heard or done something similar? I think these are the first tiles that really wowed me.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Lilymila - I live in So Cal too. Who is doing your cabs? Also, is that Caesarstone Wild Rice? I am considering that for my counters as well.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Personally, I like the first blue tile the best.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey BlackChamois. My cabinets are Dura Supreme. I picked it because they allow free cut downs. For example, you can buy 36" cabinets and cut it down to anywhere between 30 and 36 inches. I need an usual height so its either that or spend over $1200 for them to reshape the soffit.

• selphydeg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to add, yes, it is Caesarstone Wild Rice and I am getting template today.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I may be in the minority, but I love the 2nd one from Costco and I don't think it's too busy. I also like the priciest one, but I can't decide which one I like the best out of those two.

• bumble_doodle
    11 years ago

Another vote for blue!

• bumble_doodle
    11 years ago

Another vote for blue!

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

I'll join Mrose in voting for the brown Costco tile. Maybe it is my monitor, but I don't think the blue works all that well with the counter.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor