Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
favabeans5

now that i got it.. im not sure i like it? pictures

favabeans5
15 years ago

i dont know what it is.. but im not really thrilled with it..

i am thinking it might help if i got a few darker glass accent tiles like i think jodi and berryberry have?

does this work for anyone else? any suggestions on how to improve or should i just scrap it before i get too far along?

Comments (47)

• kompy
    15 years ago

I like your tile. I like that it's subtle. I'll have to check out the others kitchens. I remember berryberry's b/s....isn't it Daltile, Jeffery something? Gorgeous. But I really like yours too. At least in the photos it looks nice.

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok i just realized that i like it a good bit better without the tile spacers all over the place.. i think once i get some grout in there it will be a big improvement..

also still think i want to add a few different colored glass tiles..

anyone have a good source for glass tile that will match the shape etc. of the ones in the fire & ice?

• morton5
    15 years ago

Favabeans, it does look a little washed out. Maybe try wetting it so you get the look of it enhanced. I found that wetting turned the greys greenish, which might be pretty with your cabs (can't tell if your granite has any green tones in it).

Oy vey, I hope I like mine once it's installed because I've really splurged on it and I don't have any back-up ideas. My cabs are a lot darker, though- espresso, actually, and my granite is gold.

If you decide to keep it a darker glass tile substitution would be nice, I think.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I actually like the monotone look Favabeans. I think once you're done, all cleaned up and add accessories, you'll love it!

The link below has a good deal of discussion on where to buy the darker glass. It also talks about the net backing and grout.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire and Ice 2 X 2 Morena Tile-Amber

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Ha -- I was going to say you don't like the spacers! I like the subtle tone-on-tone look, myself. Flows very nicely. Grouting and enhancing will make a huge difference. I really think you'll love it. Or at least you should (just kidding!)

• whidbey
    15 years ago

I think it's beautiful! After seeing jodi's and your (fava's) backsplashes, I think I'm in love! I am completely confused though... I know it's called Fire and Ice, but who makes it? I looked up the Jeffrey guy's website and see the picture of the pattern, but where can you select the actual tiles?? Is he the only one who makes it? Where do you get the beautiful irridescent tiles?? Are there color choices??

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

It's in his Pietra Opus line whidbey.

I agree that you should wet it to decide if you want to enhance it or just seal it. I think it's beautiful but agree also that the darker tile will give it a little pop yet remain subtle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire and Ice

• footballmom
    15 years ago

I love the tile but agree that it is a little monotone. I also think getting some darker glass tiles may help make it the show stopper it is supposed to be.

• rosie
    15 years ago

The monotone is what I like about it, making an always handsome and never tiring background for your accessories. How about setting various favorite items from around your home there and seeing what happens? Visually strong things with a good contrast.

• slc2053
    15 years ago

I love your tile just the way it is..I think Jodi's darker accents worked because they matched her darker cabinets...your glass accents perfectly match your cabinets. Also, we just put in a tile floor in bath..dark tile that DH wanted (I wanted lighter) and I didn't care for it..now it has been grouted (ligher grout) and it looks great! At least you started out liking your tile where I started out not liking mine...now I am happy with mine and after grouting you'll be in love with your tile once again. Looks great!

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

I love this backsplash also, but maybe a few glass tiles with a little color like jodi's would look nice. either way it is gorgeous.
    Marilyn

• gglks
    15 years ago

i think it is a personal decision and you need to follow your gut. if you are looking for opinions, i like it. i think it is "subtle" as others have said, and to me, very calming. i would just jazz things up with accessories which you can always change if your mood changes. also, are your walls painted yet? that might change the feel too....

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Ha! Is one person's meat the other one's poison, or what?!! My take was that I love the subtle tone-on-tone look, that it is very pleasing on the eye. What I don't like so much are those brilliant, flashing glass bits because they look too jazzy. How's that for different? Anyhow, it may just be the flash that is catching and reflecting off the glass tiles but in the pics above, those bits are about the only thing I have reservations about. The slate is heavenly - both the colour as well the unusual long lean lengths. DEFINITELY not washed out nor too monotonous.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I think it is gorgeous and wouldn't change a thing about it. Once the little white things are out and it is grouted up, I think it will be nothing short of sensational.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Fava, I am curious, are you going to stair-step down your backsplash where it ends at the cabinets? That's what we did and I love it.

Jodi-

• hondagirl
    15 years ago

I think that the backsplash is gorgeous, different from the usual square tiles and works perfectly with your cabinets. I must agree with mindstorm about those flashy bits. Are those reflections from glass?
    What is your granite, if you don't mind me asking?

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I love the overall tonal quality of the cabs and the backsplash. I'm planning a very similar treatment in my kitchen-color wise. I'll have cherry cabs with a slate basket weave tile and dark granite(uba tuba). I want my pottery, cookbooks, etc. to provide the color. Rosie's idea was a good one- put some of your favorite kitchen accessories around and see how you feel. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jodi - i do like the step finish on the ends.. it fits better with the look of the tile.. there isn't anything close to a straight line in the whole thing so finishing the end with a straight line doesn't seem right..

mindstorm - the glass isn't really as flashy when you aren't taking a picture of them using the flash..couple pictures below give a better impression of the glass..

hondagirl - the granite is emerald pearl.. i actually wasn't thrilled with that at first either.. it has a bit of bling to it.. mother of pearl like flakes.. but with the backsplash in it is a bit more subdued and really looks good..

rosie - i think you are right that it just seems a bit overpowering to me right now because i am looking at it with nothing else on the counter.. which isn't what its going to look like when all is said and done..

i do like the way it looks behind the sink.. but that leads me to my next issue..

the window trim is white.. im not sure i like it white.. i am thinking it should be something else.. maybe a color that matches the cabinets? What did everybody else do with their window trim? Any thoughts on this?

thanks for all the great thoughts and comments..

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Fava, be careful with the "waterfall" or whatever you want to call how you end the backsplash. It took quite a bit of trial and error on my part to get it just right. If you're not paying attention, the waterfall will look like it dips down too much, a concave look.

I asked my installer to not make it a true stair-step, I wanted it a bit more ragged because as you said, that's the way of the tile. I came home after the installer had left for the day and found the waterfall too even for my liking so I started tearing out the tiles and repositioning them. She was smart enough not to use a quick set grout. Because I don't have a tile saw, I couldn't get it to flow like I wanted so I drew a template that I taped to the wall for her to follow the next morning. When I came home that evening it looked exactly as I had hoped.

Jodi-

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

in terms of seeing the mesh.. i did go back and noticed several glass tiles that the mesh was pretty obvious.. the majority are fine and not noticeable.. for those that i could clearly see the mesh.. it isn't too difficult to cut them back out and butter the backs and reinstall.. then no mesh problem.. it will give me something to do on a cold fall weekend..

i also noticed a few glass tiles that i might have been a bit thinner and set next to thicker stone? whatever reason they sit too far back relative to the stone next to them so i will cut those out and butter them as well.. it was rare maybe 2-3 total..

• chinchette
    15 years ago

Fava, this is a great combination. I love the backsplash just the way it is.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I think it is perfect for your kitchen. Grouting will make all the difference in the world. Trust me on this. It will tie it together. I like the lighter color glass. I wouldn't change a thing.

Another poster here had trouble liking her backsplash until she had it grouted. It brought it all together. It looked beautiful as does and will yours. It is gorgeous. Don't change a thing!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Fava, are you still considering adding darker pieces of glass? The more I look at your kitchen, the less I feel you should add darker pieces. I think it would be distracting. It looks so good the way it is now. Besides there is nothing else in your kitchen (that I can see at least) that would pull the darker glass all together.

I can't wait to see it all done. It will be beautiful!

Jodi-

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I agree with the others. That backsplash looks great. I'd probably enhance it but that's about all I'd do.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I like the subtle tones. I wouldn't do a thing, it's beautiful as is.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

You can put me in the camp who loves it as is - I think it's beautiful!

One thing I learned about doing my kitchen is that the "Finished Kitchens" with nothing on the counters are not at all, to me, finished kitchens. I live with *stuff* on my counters, & flashy, stunning, eye candy on the backsplash may look killer gorgeous when the counters are empty, but it's a different animal when you're actually using the kitchen.

Unless, of course, you're one of those people who actually manage to keep a clutter-free counter all the time!

• morton5
    15 years ago

In the second set of pics it looks beautiful, not as washed out as in the first set. I too vote "no" to tile substitution. Try wetting it to see if you would like it enhanced, though, especially since you have green in your granite.

Looks like you are doing a fab job! I will be paying more than $20/sq. ft for installation, so give yourself a pat on the back and go splurge on something else!

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jodi - and others i agree.. now that i have more of it up i don't see a need or place for the darker pieces at all.. they would be an unnecessary destraction.. thou i think they look great in your and berryberrys kitchens..

what grout did you use on yours?

Morton - that makes me feel pretty good.. i have some fix up work i wanna do here and there but all in all im pretty happy with how its turning out..

However I am a bit concerned about grouting.. with so much texture on the tile and varying thickness in places it doesnt seem like it going to be as easy to grout as a standard flat certamic or something..

thanks everyone for the positive feedback.. its all starting to come together.. it really is amazing to see how each piece can compliment and improve another.. i think once we get some paint on there it will look really nice..

next thread warnings..

"Paint suggestions" or "Something green" and "Pendants.. Why can't I pick out a pendant!"

thanks everybody

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Fava, I don't really know what grout the installer used. It was white and was not quick drying. The installer met with me before the job and got a good feel for what a perfectionist I am. As such, she used a repositional grout. :-)

Jodi-

15 years ago

I would ask Bill V about the grout. He can lead you in the right direction.

I am so glad to hear you are not changing a thing on it. I love it as is and can't wait to see it done. It is gorgeous as is your kitchen. The grout will bring it all together. I have seen that over and over on this forum. I love the lighter glass BTW. It goes so well with your kitchen and your cabs in particular. I am so excited for you. You are doing a GREAT job!

• morton5
    15 years ago

The tile shop told me to be sure it was sealed before grouting--otherwise the grout will adhere to the stone. Hopefully Bill V. will chime in with other tips. I think that the difficulty of grouting is why my install is costing so much (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself).

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I need to clarify about the color "grout" I said we used. I was actually referring to the "set" I guess, the stuff that adheres the tile to the wall which was white. I don't know all the terminology, I just know what looks good when it's done. :-)

I just checked the left over bag of sanded grout that was used but there was no indicator of what color it is. Perhaps the gal I bought the Fire&Ice from will remember. I'll shoot her an email.

Jodi-

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Almost done.. Accept for one small problem. I ran out of tile!!! I couldn't believe it. I thought I order 5 extra sqft.. So i did the math again. And yup.. I needed 30 sqft of tile and ordered 35. So I'm thinking what the heck is going on.

then it hit me.. I went and measure a sheet of tile and they aren't a full sqft.. the sheets have 6 rows of tile and each row is 12 inches wide.. But the 6 rows are only 10 or so inches high.. I got 35 sheets of tile not 35 sqft.. Now my invoice actually says 35 sqft..

Can anyone else who ordered Fire and Ice verify how many rows their sheets had? I have seen one other pic from someone who ordered them from the same place and they also had 6 rows..

Am I the only one that didn't know that a sheet wasn't a full sqft? If so how did you find that out? Did whoever you ordered from tell you? And if you place an order for 35 sqft don't you think you should get 35 sqft?

Anyway here are a couple more pictures..

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

OMG Fava, it looks great!

We had no tiles whatsoever left over, but...I have the Jeffrey Court Pietra Opus catalog in front of me. On the page showing the Quartz Brick Fire & Ice, they show a whole sheet, which of course, as you know now, by design has ragged sides and is not entirely "square". It is 6 rows high.

35sf sure does sound a bit misleading. Perhaps that's why we barely had enough tiles ourselves.

Jodi-

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

Fava, I love, love, love the backsplash just as it is. I hope you don't have too much trouble finding more!

Beth

• teddas
    15 years ago

I think it fabulous and would not change a thing....

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Yup - it's looking great - don't change a thing! I think the first photos were a little weird because of the reflection on the glass tiles. The last photos look fantastic.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Its looking beautiful...congrats!
    vic

• Buehl
    15 years ago

favabeans5...I wasn't so sure about your BS until the last set of pics...OMG!!!! It's gorgeous! (Will you pick out my BS for me when I'm ready? Just kidding!)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

That backsplash is absolutely perfect with your cabs and granite. Great, great pick.

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

all the credit goes to remodelfla.. i was completely clueless about which tile to go with.. having remodelfla make the recommendation and then being able to see it in jodi's and berryberrys kitchens was a great help..

this forum is really an asset.. i only wish i had found it sooner.. thou i am pretty happy with my kitchen it would have been great to get alternative layout ideas etc.. and i will be back asking for wall color and pendant help..

for one thing I am colorblind so I don't really see the world the same way as everybody else.. so getting all of your input is extremely helpful on these types of things.. i even had to ask sales people at the store if a gray shirt is gray or pink.. and often pick out purple shirts that i think are blue.. etc etc.. kinda funny sometimes..

anyway... thank you to everyone for your feedback.. it looks like the backsplash is a hit!

• whidbey
    15 years ago

fava,

The tile place I just ordered my sample from said each piece measures 11 3/4 x 10 1/2.

You and jodi were my inspiration! I'll be using the same... but enhanced... in my kitchen. :)

• L H
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS. I love the tile and may "borrow" the idea. I have stone fireplace with the same colors that's visible from the kitchen (open concept). What a great job you did!!!

• jules1906
    15 years ago

favabeans5,

I just saw your pictures for the first time and I LOVE your kitchen! Your backsplash is very similar to the one I had picked out originally (if not the same) until we realized we needed to change our granite color (it was too dark for our kitchen) and therefore will need a new backsplash. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful it looks!

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

for anyone considering jeffrey court tile i recommend that you call Ceren at Pacific Flooring & Stone, Inc. (510)-536-5090 to get a price quote.. was a great price and really low shipping cost compared to others.. product arrived when she said it would and was packaged pretty well to avoid any major breaking during shipping.. i think i had maybe 2 cracked pieces out of 35 sheets.. we got the extra 5 pieces issue resolved with no problems..

will hopefully be able to finish this up next weekend.. which is fine because i have been talked into installing another electrical outlet and will need to finish that before finish the tile anyway.. and i had to finish up installing the new pedestal sink in the bathroom.. i can't stop coming up with new projects.. next will be new french doors to replace sliders, engineered hardwood with tile inlay, and covering over some tongue and grove wood paneling.. what will i do when i run out of rooms to mess with? oh yeah.. theres always the yard!!

15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Can we close up pictures of it finished? Beautiful.

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

Your backsplash came out gorgeous. It is hard to tell on the pictures some look different. In person standing back what overall color stand out. It looks alot of grey. What other colors are in it. I think I see gold and an amber. I have been looking at this one for some time, but just not sure how it would look with darker cherry cabinets and venetian gold granite, which my piece doesn't come off gold but more of a carmel color. Love Jodi's, Berryberrys and now yours. Keep being drawn to this and Sharbs mini bricks.