Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 inch glass mosaic backsplash?

Posted by ichristinei (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 22:18

Hi all,

I don't have a good pic of our kitchen but it is almost 14 x13. Has a white island and dark otters ( u-shaped). White concrete countertop with light grey marbling.
The tile I have is daltile oak moss. The color undertones are great with everything but would you put up 50+ sq feet of 1 inch glass in a kitchen? If you would is green too much ... Green? I assume the grout would have to match the tile or it would draw too much attention to tiny squares in a fairly big kitchen.
Should I just go boring beige- that's not calling to me either and don't know if I want to pull out the cool grey in the countertops.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 inch glass mosaic backsplash?

In answer to your questions: 1.) I would not put 50' of 1" tiles in a kitchen. 2.) Even if I had to do it for some reason it wouldn't be green - or that particular green. 3.) Even with a gun to my head I wouldn't use matching green grout. 4.) I would use almost anything other than that tile for a bs, even "boring" beige, because boring trumps ugly.

My questions: 1.) Why do you have otters in your kitchen? 2.)The tile - is this a tile you picked out on purpose? Do you like it, or was it a gift? I ask because it sounds like you don't like it at all and ended up with it by accident. 3.) Why do you feel like your only choices are the tile you have or beige? There are so many other options. And by the way, there are beautiful beige tiles that are anything but boring, like these:

Here are two glass mosaic tiles that work well with grey and warmer wood tones.

o

I'm not sure if "otters" was meant to be "uppers" or "others". It really would help to see a picture of the space, so we know where that 50 square feet is coming from. Is it 20-25' of cabinets (uppers and lowers) with the BS in-between with a bit more behind the range? Or is it one big wall, counter-to-ceiling, 10- wide x 5' tall? Because the impact will be very different depending on on the layout. But in any event, a 1' mosaic -- monochromatic or mixed tones -- will read as modern/contemporary. So you'll need to decide first if that is the look you're going for.

We have the one big wall of backsplash, counter-to-ceiling, and no BS anywhere else. Our tile is actually smaller than yours -- 1" x 1/2" -- but in varying tones, so not quite as stark. It will at least give you an idea of how the "big wall" looks in a modern space.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

There is no reason to stick with just one color of tile. You can certainly use the squares as an accent in a row of maybe 3 wide, against a background tile, and use that strip to demarcate changes in patterns of the background tile...like straight to diagonal.

Perhaps this will help you.

o

I'm thinking "otters" was meant to be "outers," as in perimeter. That would mean an island with white cabs and the U-shaped perimeter in dark cabs. The counters will be concrete with a marble look.

On the first question of using 1" tiles on all the backsplash of a U-kitchen, I don't think I would. To me it seems like a lot of "noise" on the walls - it might seem claustrophobic. Maybe in a larger format? Here are a couple of greens in a slightly larger format tile. Click on the photos to get a better view of the tile.

On the second question of the green color, it might be great, but it's hard to tell without more references. It might be better to break that block of solid color up with something else. One way is to choose a tile that has multiple colors like the ones EAM44 posted, but in your green tones. Another is to use the green as a 3, 4 or 6" strip running through a more neutral tile. Here's one with a double strip:

A single strip, but I don't care for the placement:

Here's a thought on how to use the 1" without overwhelming the room:

o

HAHA!! I laughed pretty hard with that first post EAM44. True enough- I picked the tile up for a bargain and don't feel like I can afford anything really pretty- I love glass. Don't really love borders at all. So we are looking at a cream ceramic with a bit of a wave pattern in it.

THanks for the tips everyone and the pictures. I may try to post a pic later. Kids all over me!

o

I'm glad I made you smile. So you need a budget friendly way to dilute the Daltile that doesn't look border-y. One idea that comes to mind is to mix strips of your glass mosaic with subway tiles.

I'm not a huge fan of travertine in a backsplash, but I found 3" x 6" tumbled trav for $1.99/sf at the link below, and mashed it together with the tile you already bought in the image below. If you're going to do this you have to keep in mind tile thickness. Yours is 5/16" thick, the trav is 6/16" thick.

Here's the thing though. If you don't love the tile you bought, don't use it. Sell it on Craigslist or Ebay. Once you really start looking for tiles that are affordable and beautiful, and you see what's available, you'll come to understand that it's penny wise and pound foolish to try to make the wrong choice useful. After all, what's the point in doing all this work just to end up with something that looks OK. Find something you LOVE, then find a way to get the same look within your budget.

Best of luck with the reno.

Here is a link that might be useful: Travertine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here