Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Lame idea for shellfish stew servings or not?

kitchendetective
10 years ago

I always serve shellfish stews with extra bowls for shells because there never seems to be adequate space on the underplates. Would this pattern work, using the shoulders for shells, or would these bowls be a storage nightmare and full of wasted space?

Here is a link that might be useful: Apilco

Comments (13)

• pamela928
    10 years ago

I really like this shape and think your idea is good. If you just want the bowls, look at these IKEA ones. I saw them in person and the quality seemed quite good. The pattern comes in place settings too.

Would love one of your favorite shellfish stew recipes!

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Stockholm bowls

• andreak100
    10 years ago

The questions that pop into my mind are:
    How often do you serve shellfish stew?
    How much extra room do you have to store these dishes?

If you have the stew often, you have the space, and you think that it would make your life that much better, then get them.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

Do you have flat, rimless pasta bowls? I purchased a set for a similar reason and I find I use them all the time. It may be the answer for you and solve your concern about lack of use. I'm linking in something similar from C & B. I can't vouch for these, but they will give you an idea. A lot of stores carry them these days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pasta Bowl

• mrspete
    10 years ago

We call it Frogmore Stew or Low Country Boil, and we eat it on a fairly regular basis -- it's a huge favorite of my husband's.

I don't love the wide-rimmed bowls. It looks like a lot of bowl for a little bit of food, and I wonder if the shells might fall back into the bowl.

I have shallow rimmed soup bowls from Pfaltzgraff, which I absolutely adore and use for many, many applications, including Frogmore Stew. If we're eating at our small, round breakfast table, I put one bigger bowl in the middle of the table for shells. If we're eating at the dining room table with a larger group, I put out three bigger bowls staggered down the middle of the table. Everyone can reach them fine, and although it's not the most attractive option, it works fine.

We do the same thing when we cook clams or crab legs.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The shells would be messy and hard to eat around ... they're lying on the edges of the diner's dish, getting knocked back into the bowl or off onto the tablecloth.

Having a separate bowl for the shells and stuff at each plate would be easier for the guests.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous plates. But I don't feel the rims serve. Either bits would fall back into the stew or shells might fly off when the dishes are removed.

What about the old fashioned crescent salad plates that no one has used forever? They should be really easy to get and not expensive. Could be perfectly repurposed for this as they nestle right up to any plate and can go right, left or top.

Here's an ebay list just offhand. 1 Kings Lane has some faience under "demilune salad plates"

Here is a link that might be useful: Crescent salad plates

• Linda
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what to suggest for the dishes, but I think you should share the shellfish stew recipe with us, we can all try it, and then we'll be better able to give you an informed opinion! Sounds yummy! :-)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Yes, we need to test the recipe so we know what you are dealing with.

the crescent salad plate idea is excellent.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Crescent salad plates are a wonderful idea! Better than what I'm doing.

Here's my recipe -- easy as anything in the world, but it varies according to what we have /what's on sale:

Boil a bit pot of water in a spaghetti pot w/ lift-out insert.
    Add a big handful of Old Bay spice or other spicy seafood mixture.
    Add and boil 10-12 minutes quartered red potatoes and mini-corn cobs.
    Add and boil 5-7 minutes Andouille sausage sliced into coins and raw shrimp still in the shells.
    Drain, sprinkle with more Old Bay seasoning, serve with lemon wedges and a loaf of good crusty bread on the side.

Set out a roll of paper towels for messy fingers.

This is, by definition, a very casual meal since you're going to peel the shrimp yourself. It's a great meal to cook outside for a large group using a turkey fryer set-up. If you do that, have a large table ready with a clean plastic tablecloth . . . and just spill your goodies on the table for every one to serve themselves. Yes, restaurants even do this!

Alternatives: Substitute crab legs, crabs, or crawfish for the shrimp . . .or have a couple forms of seafood; after all, it is the best part.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, here's what my most recent cioppino contained. (Mine also varies based upon what is available and looks good, but the non fish ingredients stay pretty much the same. Occasionally, I'll add a leek or two.)
    1 bulb fennel, sliced thin
    4 shallots, minced
    2T olive oil
    1 sweet onion, chopped
    4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
    28 oz. stewed tomatoes, liquid included
    tomato flakes/powder, reconstituted to equal about 1/3 C paste
    5C fish stock (I am perfectly happy to use the packaged tubs diluted with hot water, if I don't have stock on hand)
    1 to 2 C white wine (not super dry as it tends to add a sourness to the stew)
    1 lb. clams
    1 lb. mussels
    1 lb. deveined shrimp, tails removed
    3 lobster tails in shells (which I think adds to the flavor of the stew)
    1/2 to 1 lb. squid, tubes and tentacles. cut up into hunks
    1 lb. firm red drum (halibut, snapper, monkfish, etc.)
    1 to 2 bay leaves
    a dab of ancho chili pepper powder (or red pepper flakes, pimenton, etc. for a bit of heat)

Sweat the fennel, shallots, onion in the oil for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, and sweat about two minutes. Add liquid ingredients, tomato, bay leaves. Simmer 45 minutes to an hour. Add fish and squid. When these are almost fully cooked, add shellfish and cook gently until shells open. Discard any still unopened shells after 10 minutes.

Serve with crusty French bread or a boule.

I've pretty much decided not to get those bowls. Probably will stick with the extra bowls on the table for shells. I do not think any of my china has matching crescent salad plates available anywhere. Coordinating would be tough, too. Thanks for the thoughts and good ideas.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bumping for those who asked. We could turn this into a fish stew thread.

• pamela928
    10 years ago

Hah! Even though we already have a number of "Isn't this a fine/sloppy/inefficient/upsetting/discontinued/exasperating kettle of fish?" threads!!

I have wanted a good cioppino recipe. This one sounds wonderful. Thank you, kitchendetective!!

OK, you fish folks...what's the difference between bouillabaisse and cioppino? (I know, I know, you'll tell me to take this over to the cooking thread, but we won't go on much longer here.)

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perhaps not definitive, but I think of cioppino (San Francisco) as very tomato-y. Bouillabaisse (Marseille) traditionally depends upon on a rouille, and may or may not contain tomatoes. Mine is always pretty white, or yellowish, if I add saffron, but not vivid, deep red.

Mrs. Pete,
    Down here, that's how we do our crawfish boils. And we serve outside on tables covered in rolled out butcher paper! Talk about casual! Yum.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:28

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures