Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

OT-but there is no mudroom forum.. Please show pics. of mudroom

gillylily
13 years ago

PLEASE SHOW ME PICTURES OF YOUR MUDROOM!!!

Without being repetitive, we moved into our newly built home in Jan. When we were building we were both pretty naive and didn't have anyone who could help us "read" the blueprints. We knew our mudroom would be tiny, but didn't realize the layout of it would be so ridiculous until we moved in.

BUT... (and that deserves all caps) to put it plainly our mudroom layout stinks.

The closet door and the garage door open into each other. If one is coming in from the garage and another happens to be getting their coat out of the closet at the same time the two doors get caught on one another.. We called our builder out on it when we first moved in, asking him to at least replace it with some sort of pocket door, but he said no, unless we paid for it and at that point we really did not have much extra $$ to spend on that.

So we waited and waited and now we have a large hole the size of a dime in our closet door from the doorknob of the garage door. So aside from taking the door down it might be time to do something like add a bench with hooks. etc.

Thanks so for your help!

Comments (14)

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

sorry I don't have any pictures to share, b/c frankly I don't have a mudroom :-) I had to carve out a little section of the coat closet to make it a fake mudroom.
    But Pottery Barn catalog always has some great pictures of mudrooms, along with some really nice cubby benches - long and tall ones. The pics always make me jealous LOL

And since there is no mudroom forum, maybe you could post this in the flooring forum, I'm sure you will get alot of responses......sorry I had to joke :-)

• User
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of pics...

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses- Allnew-I love the pottery barn benches. I am hoping to have something similar built in.. I think I might stay away from flooring tho' i had a similar exp. last yearon that forum- just very to the point responses.
    Milz50- What a great mudroom. Mine is probably 1/16th of that size. I love your space!

Looking for more pics. if anyone else wants to join in the fun!

• DallasAuburn
    13 years ago

Search the "Building a Home" forum. Been a while since I searched for Mudrooms, but in the past, there was a thread with that topic.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

mine is like that too. we put little rubber bumpers wherever a doorknob would hit (they make them in white or clear).

• leela4
    13 years ago

We don't have a mud *room* exactly, but we now have an entrance to the house that qualifies as one, and we had a mudroom closet built to handle some of our junk:

There is a bench where you can sit (on the left)

A rod for hanging coats will go on the right

What our *mudroom* used to look like

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Try searching the Home Decorating forum. Here is a laundry/mudroom eye candy thread from the decor gallery area. Mudrooms have been brought up there from time to time.

• pps7
    13 years ago

Milz50, I love your whole house!

Our mudroom is riduculously large, but I've seen many really nice functional ones that are much smaller. We use every square inch of it daily. Sorry for the mess :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sigh. We had a great mudroom thread not long ago but I can't find it. Sigh.

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

FWIW, my kitchen is one of the few spaces in this house where I don't have a sewing machine.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Our mudroom plans started out big, but shrank quite a bit because we decided to move the first floor powder room to that space, then decided to add a first floor washer and dryer there too. (The old laundry room is in the basement.)

So, we also have a small mudroom, when I had dreamed of a big one.

Here are a few pictures:
    {{gwi:1490278}}

The coat rack/bench:
    {{!gwi}}

This is the wall that faces the hooks and bench, and the powder room is behind it (sheesh - we actually took a picture with laundry in the dryer! Definitely not a 'magazine' shoot here... let's just call it real life):
    {{!gwi}}

I have since removed the shelves under the bench and put 2 big baskets there because our puppy sometimes grabs shoes from there. The baskets aren't as handy as I'd like, so I'm thinking of calling the cabinet maker to see if he can make some drawers. Wish I had done that from the get go.

Also if I were to do it again: I would sacrifice a bit of the cabinet size by the W/D to add a broom pull out. I've seen pictures of awesome pullouts (on this forum) that use as little as 4" of horizontal space.

I'd also offset the plumbing for the laundry sink to one side so that I'd have just one under-sink cabinet and drawers on the other side. Drawers are just SO much handier.

I'm still trying to figure out a better place for gloves, hats, etc. I'm thinking of putting one or two these organizers from IKEA on the wall between the window and the laundry sink. I got that idea from someone who posted pictures of her awesome closet-turned-mudroom, I think on this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA organizers

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Thank you so very much!! These are definitely closer to the size of my mudroom and are GREAT to go by! Shanghaimom and Chicagoans do you happen to know the specs ? Your design is almost exactly what I envisioned in my space, our mudroom seems to be around the same size as yours.
    Thanks again for your help!

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Hi Gillylily,

I have architect's drawings but nothing on my computer. Any builder should be able to look at the photo and do something similar to fit your space, though.

Glad the pic was helpful!