Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekitchen_gw

Small Kitchen with Banquette? or Island?

katiekitchen
15 years ago

Hi - I'm new here and trying to plan a kitchen redo with demo to start on 11/1. At first we thought we wanted an island, but now we are thinking of a banquette.

We are doing bright white painted cabinets (custom-made) and opening up the ceiling to make it a cathedral ceiling (it's currently about 7.5 feet). We are doing granite (maybe black) countertops and hardwood floors. We know it's a small kitchen, but want ok storage and seating/eating space for 4 (2 adults, 2 kids). We don't have good options for expanding the footprint. So, we'd like to retain the current footprint.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here is the link to my hand-drawn design. Let me know what you think. This one includes a rolling island cart and a banquette. Do you think the banquette seating is big enough? It doesn't show a table. I'm not sure what size table to ask for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Drawing

Comments (17)

• ichearts
    15 years ago

Can anyone help me? I only have a 30 inch sink cabinet and had planned on a cast iron over enamel sink. The ones I am seeing are so small. Does anyone have one that's decent size for a 30" basecabinet. Seems I am stuck with a small sink unless my contractor can notch out my cabinet to get a bigger sink in. Looks like I might have to go with a 27" stainless steel sink which I didn't have my heart set on. Any help would be appreciated as my cabinets arrive next week and I have no sink picked out. Wanted the Kholer 33" cast iron, but that's out now...would have to go to the smaller 25' x 15" special order sink for my space which seems small...any suggestions please?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

If you have a tall cabinet and cart up to the ends of the benches, when there's a table there, no one will be able to get in. If you move the cart, people can get in and out only from that side...Lots of scooting.

• favabeans5
    15 years ago

we have a 14x12 kitchen and we wanted to be able to eat in the kitchen and thought about an island but given our layout, need to leave the sink where it was, and doorways/flow through the kitchen we couldn't make an island work.. so we ended up doing a pennisula.. we put a downdraft range in the middle the pennisula.. nice to have someone sit and chat with ya while your cooking..we can definitely sit 4 people at it if need be.. thou the pennisula runs across the 14ft wall so we have a bit more room to work with vs. the 12ft wall..

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Can any of those doors be moved? How are the spaces beyond the kitchen configured? I understand not wanting to expand the footprint, but moving a door or removing a wall might help even while staying in the 14 x 11 space.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Our cabinetmaker had the same feeling about the cabinet and island surrounding the banquette. I thought we might be able to make it work. But, maybe it would be too tough to get into the table. We have a table with four chairs in that corner now and don't use the table to eat at b/c you can't easily get to the four chairs. My fear is that I will feel the same way about the banquette

As for moving walls - the wall behind the banquette area has our den. It's a small cozy room for TV watching and my husband is adamant that we keep it that way. He doesn't really like the open floor plan idea (especially when it comes to a TV room being open to the kitchen). I'd be willing to take out that wall, but am not really sure how we'd use that space. We would want to preserve it for watching TV and a casual den. Can anyone think of a good compromise there - I've thought of pocket doors or something, but I'm not sure how it would help with our space issue. I'd love thoughts or pictures on this one to try to convince my husband.

The doors are tough to move. I don't think the laundry door could move b/c the laundry room is just a skinny room down that hall. We could move the door to the hallway, but I'm not sure where without losing space in our bathroom and losing the pantry.

Any ideas of how we could fit eating space island or peninsula in here instead of the banquette? Thanks for all of your help.

• littlealexa
    15 years ago

I feel your pain have similar dilemna, many doorways (13x10 footprint) and DH doesn't want to remove walls. Here's an idea: instead of the banquette, set it up as a counter for eating quick meals (can use granite slab or what ever you want to use. Based on your drawing, if the counter was shaped like the l-shape of the banquette you could seat 3-4 people. Use a corner of the den for your banquette, perhaps you can squeeze it in there and use it as a den/breakfast room.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What if I put a table height peninsula in that wall where I currently have the banquette and opened it up to the den, but had a shutter or something else to close it off when we want the room quiet for tv watching/relaxing?

• budge1
    15 years ago

Our kitchen is 11x11 and also wanted an eat in kitchen. We made it work by putting an shallow cab against one wall (we used an antique piece) and custom making our island to seat 4.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

budge1 - do you have any pics of your kitchen? I'd love them please!!!

• la_koala
    15 years ago

favabeans5, would you be able to share the dimensions of your peninsula and kitchen? The overall layout?

I am trying to do a design for my kitchen that seems like a similar space: 14ft x 13ft. And I really like the way yours looks in the photo.

Thanks in advance!
    Lee

• budge1
    15 years ago

katie, I'm just in the middle of trying to install a shelf above the antique cabinet and it's not going well. I'll try to take a couple of pics when I'm done.

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, budge1. When I checked this thread from another computer, I saw the picture you posted. I'd love more if you have them.

Anyone else have some ideas if we did take down that wall between our kitchen and den (where the banquette is in my drawing). How could we use the space then? Thanks!!

• favabeans5
    15 years ago

here is a really rough layout of my kitchen.. the walls are really more like 14ft5in and 12ft4in but you get the idea.. we have the nkba recommend distance from the bar to wall behind.. its plenty of room to get behind someone seated at the bar

hope this is helpful..

• la_koala
    15 years ago

Hi favabeans5, thanks so much for posting your kitchen layout! It will help me a lot. I've been having trouble communicating what's in my imagination to a KD that I'm thinking of hiring. It's really helpful to have something that you have proven works in real life. :-)

• chefkev
    15 years ago

katiekitchen - your door to the outside - does it open inwards to the kitchen, and if so towards the fridge or where you've placed the rolling island?

• katiekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The door from the outside opens in and towards the fridge. We are having the door replaced, though, and will talk about alternatives. I have another thread where I've gotten lots of new design ideas, so, we might be going with something a little different. Here's a link to my other thread. I'd love your input!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout Experts Needed Thread