Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vols2595

Kitchen Faucet Dilemma

vols2595
10 years ago

New granite countertops installed with Blanco Siligranit II Cafe Brown Performa sink (441313). The Performa sink is bowed at front and back edge. Because of that, faucet placement is a little farther back than if the edge were straight across. We chose the Moen Brantford Pull Down (7185) faucet, which looks great but spout reach is only 7 7/8." Turns out this was not a good choice of faucets with this sink. I need a faucet with longer spout reach as this one does not work for me. While I love having a pull down faucet, the shorter spout reach makes it very uncomfortable working at sink. I plan to replace this brand new faucet and am searching for a pull down with a longer spout reach. Any faucet suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I LOVE my Cafe Brown Blanco Siligranit sink!! Would never go back to SS.

Comments (24)

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I have that blanco performa sink with a Grohe LadyLuxe Cafe faucet. The specs for the Ladylux say that it has a 8-1/8 in reach. That is only 1/4 inch different than your faucet. It doesn't seem like that little bit of difference would should make your faucet difficult to use with the sink. I have no problem using my faucet with my sink Is your faucet mounted too far behind the sink? The base of my faucet at the very front is less than an inch from the edge of the sink/ countertop.
    Here is how my set up looks:

• vols2595
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked the countertop installer to place the faucet cutout as close to the edge as possible but it is about 1 1/8" from the edge. I believe even a 1/2" would make a big difference. I have been searching Moen faucets and their Woodmere pull down faucet has 8 3/4" reach but I am calling Moen tomorrow to verify that measurement. The faucet sells for $599 on faucetdirect.com so I do not want to make another mistake!

Thank you for posting the pictures of your beautiful kitchen. I see you got the anthracite sink. I do love the sink, don't you?

• williamsem
    10 years ago

My Kohler Simplice has a 9 in reach. It's very popular here and I love it! Plus it can have the handle mounted in front, which is fantastic.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Before you purchase the replacement faucet, here is some information that might be helpful in making sure the next choice is just the right one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Sense of Kitchen Faucets

• marykh
    10 years ago

Rococogurl, thank you for that link! We're starting a house build and this was just what I was looking for to begin to learn about faucets. Very grateful for this website!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

williamsen, what is the advantage of having the faucet lever in the front (I've always had it to the right).

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

@sjhockefany - pro: hand & other drips go into the sink. con: faucet needs to be swiveled so water doesn't hit hand as it's turned on/off.

@marykh - glad you find it useful.

• vols2595
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rococogurl, thanks much for the useful article. Wish I had seen it BEFORE we purchased the Brantford faucet.

Thank you also for the photo, Williamsem. Even upside down your kitchen looks awesome. I just checked out the Simplice and was surprised that Kohler offers it with 2 different reach options--8" or 9". It would definitely be an option except it is not offered in ORB.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

makmo73:

You didn't post any pictures or say how large you faucet escutcheon is. As long as the escutcheon covers the existing hole, you can drill another hole more forward. You can even drill the sink flange, but you may void the sink warranty if you do.

Expect to pay about $250.00 for the faucet removal, hole drilling, and reinstallation.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Sjhockeyfan, putting the handle in front:
    - solves any backsplash clearance issues
    - keeps drips in the sink (even DH hasn't managed to leave a puddle yet!)
    - I find it easier to turn on/off with messy or full hands

I learned about it here, and I'm so glad I did! Like others here, no problems with my arm getting wet, you compensate for the position without thinking, no effort needed.

Not all faucets can do this though. Someone mentioned to look for 365 degree swivel, or look in the specs (but not always mentioned). You might also have to reverse the hot/cold lines going in to keep the customary hot/left cold/right orientation (very important to avoid burns).

• peony4
    10 years ago

Second what williamsem wrote about a front-facing handle. I made this decision at the last minute, and am so glad I did. When turning faucet on/off, drips from my hands go down to the sink instead of the counter around the base of the faucet. I've had no difficulty in adjusting to reaching around the stream of water to get to the handle. It's not even an issue. Of all the decisions I made about my kitchen, this may be my best one!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I may make this suggestion too late, but Brizio has a faucet where the bottom is cocoa, and matches your sink perfectly. Brizio Vuelo. looks like a swan. comes as smart touch or not. Soap dispenser can be ordered all SS or 1/2 cocoa.

I don't know about handle moved to front, or other details, as mine still in box.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

@makmo -- among the blizzard of suggestions you'll get here, I should mention something williamsem touches on. You might also know this. Faucet controls work in different ways. Some move back and forth, some go on by moving the faucet out sideways.

If there is a lot of space behind the faucet, like badgergal's then anything goes. If it's tight behind the sink -- like the example on the link -- how the faucet works can be an issue.

When I pick a faucet I spend a lot of time with spec sheet -- most of those give you a large amount of information. They will tell you the spout length, of course, so you can calculate where that will hit. They also tell you the flow rate in gallons per second (gps) about 1.5 to 2.2 generally. They tell you the arc of the faucet swivel (again so nothing hits anything else) and there are usually notes about how the faucet can be installed. I always give that spec sheet to the plumber (or whoever is doing the installation).

Spec sheets make my eyes cross but I just keep going over and over it until I can understand the faucet. That's one way of avoiding surprises post purchase a faucet. I also check to see whether there are notes on the finish as I like a lifetime guarantee, as someone said, on the coated finishes or an integral finish (which is a factor in cost).

If possible, I also try to pick up the faucet -- the heavier the better (more brass parts). Best of all, and most difficult to find, is someplace where the faucets are set up and working. But, one of the best faucets I ever had (the KWC Systema) I got on an internet special. I bought it off the spec sheet basically.

• vols2595
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trebruchet--I did not post a picture for 2 reasons. I don't know how to post a picture and the other reason being that my tile backsplash is not installed yet and the drywall is a mess. Tile going in first of next week, then I may try to figure out the picture thing.

Thank you for your suggestion but drilling another hole for the faucet is not an option. I would not trust my granite installer to do anything like that. We had so many issues--cracked granite that had to be replaced--and I am pretty sure he would not be able to do it without a "mishap." The risk is too big. I would rather just buy a new faucet and chalk it up to an expensive mistake. We all live and learn.

My problem now is trying to find a faucet that will solve the short reach issue. The reach must be at least 8 1/2" to make a difference and more than that would be better. I called Moen and was shocked to find out that just about all their kitchen faucets have the same reach--7 7/8". They only have 2 faucets with a longer reach--around 9" but they are only available in one finish--and it is not Oil Rubbed Bronze which is what I must have. I love the Moen faucets because they have the great controls for spray, stream and also pause. The spout docks beautifully in place and does not hang down as many pull down faucets do. And with most of their faucets you can order a new spout head which will give you a faster flow rate if you live in a state that does not have a restriction. The idea that Moen is so short sighted in their faucet designs by offering only one size reach is pretty hard to believe.

Would appreciate your faucet suggestions if you know of one that meets the criteria that I am looking for--most importantly,
    adequate reach, flow rate, and spray control, and docks in place--in ORB.

Am I asking for too much?

• vols2595
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bookworm 4321--I just looked up your Brizo Vuelo faucet and I like what I see. 10 1/4" spout reach! That would be heavenly! I am not sure how the two tone look would go over with my husband. I am going to try to find it in a local showroom so I can take a look at it firsthand. Thank you for alerting me to it.

Perhaps you can post a picture after yours is installed.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Makmo
    It is fine to post a picture even if the kitchen is not finished. I can tell you I posted many of my ugly drywall. There are directions on how to post pictures. Basically you want to use something like photobucket and copy the HTML link into your post. It looks ugly as it only shows the link but when you do the preview it will show the picture.
    I feel your pain with your faucet and sink.
    I have the Blanco cascade and Cafe Brown. I wish I had gone with a slightly longer reach as well. I bought the standard length Waterstone instead of the extended reach. It works but again it would be better with the longer one.
    BTW waterstone does have an ORB finish

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

In my sudden search for a new faucet my problem was the opposite of yours - I wanted a shorter reach (a Hansgrohe bar faucet wound up doing the trick.). I liked a number of Kohler faucets, however. Many come in ORB and some in antique brass. They tend to ship with the more restrictive water restricter, but include both, I've deleted a lot of my shopping links, but the prices varied around the web and there are discontinued designs that can be had for a good price.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

makmo, have you looked at Delta faucets. They have several choices with a longer spout reach. Their finish is Venetian Bronze which is a little bit different than oil rubbed bronze but would still look great with the cafe brown sink. Their Cassidy faucet looks similar to the Moen that you have but the specs say it has a 9-3/8 inch reach. I glanced at several of their faucets and they all have generous reaches. My neighbor has their Leland faucet and loves it.
    here is a picture of the Cassidy Faucet:

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta faucets

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

My Brizio installed today. Here is a picture; it looks black, but really cocoa, same as your sink. The saleslady at the plumbing store said I was one of first of her clients to purchase it, but then sold 3 more.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I tried again. The plumber is working on d/w, so hard to maneuver.

• vols2595
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bookworm 4321: Thanks for posting your pics. Your faucet looks great! My husband thinks it is too contemporary for our kitchen.

Badgergal: Cassidy is the same faucet I have been looking at online and I really love the way it looks. 9 3/8" spout reach would definitely
    be much better than what I have now. Tomorrow I am going to try to get to a couple of showrooms to check out that Venetian Bronze finish.

I am also going to check out some of the Kohler faucets but one thing I like about Delta is their Magna-Dock for the spout. Don't know what Kohler uses to keep the spout in place.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and assistance.

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

Here's a Kohler that might fit your needs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler

• hollr
    10 years ago

I may not be of help because we didn't choose a major brand name for our kitchen faucet, but the reviews were excellent. Most of the time people won't take the time to go write a review of a product when it's a good one... it's only when it's a bad one or they've had an issue. Our granite installers (although we've had our fair share of issues with them) said that our faucet is exactly like the $300 one they have in their show room for what that is worth. This is what we went with:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbed-Bronze-Gourmet-Pull-Down-Kitchen/dp/B006ZOCZQC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1383276244&sr=8-15&keywords=bronze+kitchen+faucet

• tdemonti
    6 years ago

rococogurl, I've been struggling with the sink/faucet set up for a couple of weeks and the article you provided above on 10/29/13 is exactly.y what I needed. Thank you so much.