Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
revjulie_gw

Wrong Susans were ordered. Should I keep 'em?

revjulie
9 years ago

We are one week into our renovation, and all was going pretty well, until the cabinets were delivered today. I wanted Super Susans in the corner cabinets, and our guy ordered the regular ones with poles. He says he never had the supers on any of the drawings. That may be, and I should have double checked. I know I specified in our conversation. Anyway, he can reorder, but it will be a 2-3 week delay. We are wondering if it's worth waiting on. I have had the regular ones and they are not as functional. I was really looking forward to the supers. But is there a solution after installation? Shelf Genie or something? Install will be Friday if I give the go ahead. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (14)

• chedanemi
    9 years ago

Supers are so much more efficient. I would never have the ones with the pole. I even had super Susans made for my corner uppers... some of the shelves are too high for me to reach anything that may be in the back. The Susan is perfect in them.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I have the non-pole versions and they are great. We had ones on poles in the old kitchen, and they were wobbly (this probably has a lot to do with the manufacturer, so yours might be better). I fit an awful lot of stuff on my big super susans, including right in the middle where the pole would be. The fact that they're on shelves means that nothing falls down to the level below. There is room on the sides to slide in flat things; I store my large rectangular wire trivets there. So yes, I think it's well worth the switch if you can manage the wait.

I've linked mine below. I can't remember exactly where I bought them, but I think it was this site. If your builder allows for this, you might be able to get them a lot faster than 2-3 weeks. They come in a couple of different sizes.

Ours are in Ikea cabinets (I did not like their susan-with-pole for the heavy iron pots I would be storing), It was just a matter of adding a custom-cut shelf before installing the susans. It would be easier to put them in before the cabinets are installed, but I think it could be done after installation as well. However, the susans and shelf have to go in before the countertop, because they load in from the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Super susans at Hardware Hut

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

'I think it's well worth the switch if you can manage the wait. '

I'd wait.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Depending on where you are I can not imagine these would take more then a day or two to get...unless you are in a very remote area I can not imagine there is not a place within driving distance to pick these up

Sounds like he doesn't want to pay for the new ones and is trying to scare you off with the false lead time so you keep what he gave you

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Even if there is a wait, it IS worth it.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Wait. Wait. Wait. I made the switch last year. It's like night and day. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I'd wait also - a couple of weeks wait for the years you'll be using them and the new kitchen is well worth the wait. I love mine and could never even imagine having poles through them.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I don't think you need another vote for super susan, but I'll add mine anyway! I've had both, and I'll never go back.

And a word of advice for those who are still in the planning and ordering stages - make sure EVERYTHING is in writing! My cabinets came with a pole susan, and when I called our cabinet maker, he was able to look on the drawings that he and I had gone over together, and saw that I was right. The cabinet was installed already, so they pulled it out, took it back to the shop, and put in the SS - with a smile and an apology for not getting it right the first time.

• kompy
    9 years ago

There's a 2-3 week wait because the cabinets have to be remade entirely. You can't just switch out the interior mechanisms. The box is constructed differently depending on the type of susan.

Lead times on replacements usually take a minimum of 10 business days on most of my cabinet lines. So, he's not lying about that.

Kompy

• ajc71
    9 years ago

"You can't just switch out the interior mechanisms. The box is constructed differently depending on the type of susan."

You are correct, but it is just a fixed shelf that gets added, I would assume that the installer is going to take the top off the cabinet to use as a template and make the shelf on-site..then drop in the second susan

That is what I would do to get it done....one hour on-site and it is complete

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Go for the Super Susans!
    AJC idea sounds right.
    If they didn't want to fix the shelves, they could put in the adjustable height holders.

• kompy
    9 years ago

True ajc. Depends if the box is a barrel type construction or a corner base. Original poster can you verify???

I don't care for the barrel type where the door swings inside the cabinet.....only if an upper quality brand and inset style cabinets.

Picture attached is a barrel constructed type and requires a finished end panel if adjacent to an appliance, such as a free-standing range.

• revjulie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Consulted with him today. The cabinets that came in are barrel construction, so not an easy shelf fix, but he looked at the Hardware Hut option (thanks northcarolina!) and thinks we can make the switch with these cabinets. He is going to do the work himself to get it right. So I will get my supersusans without having to wait for a reorder! Just hoping these additions get here before the counters..... I will echo the message to double check everything!! And even then sometimes mistakes happen.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Great news!

"I will echo the message to double check everything!! And even then sometimes mistakes happen."

No doubt about that, almost every project there is something that happens...sometimes large, sometimes small....the key is how quickly it gets fixed to everyone's satisfaction