Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New kitchen cost help?

Posted by Macco (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 22:04

Hello All. I'm new to this forum. I'm looking at doing a complete tear out of a kitchen, including appliances. The new kitchen will be L-shaped. The short end, about 7' long, will be a dual level breakfast bar and that section will house the sink, dishwasher and underneath cabinets. The long end, about 11' long, will include the stove, with overhead microwave and both overhead and underneath cabinets.
My preference would be to use real wood for cabinets, probably painted in an off-white color. I don't plan on needing many bells and whistles, such as glass door inserts, optional drawer inserts and those types of things. I'm unsure about the countertops. Granite would be nice, depending upon how much more that will cost vs less expensive countertops. My estimate is about 27-28 linier feet of countertop.
I'll do the demo work myself but will hire out the final prep and installation.
I've seen some less than positive stories on the net about using some of the big box stores for this work. That scares me a lot. So, I will probably go with a small, independent cabinet maker for both the build and installation. The work is being done in a rural area of Pennsylvania.
No problem pricing out the appliances but I have no idea what the cabinet build and installation will cost.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New kitchen cost help?

National average expenditures are around 40K for a gut kitchen. And it's hard to do everything that any kitchen needs for less than 20K without some element of DIY. Guidelines for budgeting recommend allocating between 10-20% of your home's value towards a kitchen remodel if you live in a location that hadn't seen a lot of property value inflation. And if you do live in one of those higher property value areas, your labor costs will be MUCH higher, so you won't be terribly far off from the guidelines if you lack DIY ability. That keeps your expenditures in line with your neighborhood, rather than over or under spending. If you are planning on structural changes, like taking walls down, then the % is obviously going to be much higher than if you are keeping some of the kitchen elements like the flooring or cabinets. About half of that 10-20% should go to cabinets and their install.

o

I think the only way to really get an idea of costs is to jump in and start getting estimates. The 10-20% that livewire mentioned is an excellent starting point. Depending where in that range you are prepared to spend, it can tell you whether you should start looking at high, middle, or lower end materials. We wanted upper mid-range materials at lower range prices (who doesn't), so we decided to DIY as much as possible. In this way, we've been able to get most everything we want for close to 10% of our home's value (for us, that's about $32,000).

o

If you're in rural PA near any Amish or Mennonite communities, look into their custom cabs. They are usually surprisingly good value and beautifully made.

o

Thanks Ginny. I am in that area and plan on doing just that.

o

Wow. LWO managed to provide a very informative and (I believe) accurate answer in few words. Well done (as usual)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here