Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with kitchen vent

Posted by new-landlord (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 22:04

The builder 5 years ago terminated the kitchen range vent in a cabinet. While legal in my area, it's both a fire hazard and creates an odor problem.

It's on an outside wall and the outside wall is brick and not near a patio, etc. In other words I can vent there.

I hate putting holes in roofs - just more potential for leaks and other problems. I'm going to have to caulk several areas as it is. So I see my options as (1) a hood with grease shield recirculating into the room, (2) cut a hole in the exterior wall for a vent. But it's number (3) I'd really like advice about. Can I go up, into the attic, make a U-turn, and vent out of an under eave soffit vent?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with kitchen vent

Yes you can vent into a soffit though the more turns the more backpressure and louder it will be. If the stove is on an exterior wall, I believe the best option would be a 90* turn and vent right out of the wall. The eve should help protect it from water.

o

Vent out the wall, and have a small angled rain hood on the outlet.

o

Mine vents directly out because our contractor and framers forgot to bring it out the roof (we lived on site and didn't catch it either). It's pretty nice this way. The unit works better, there won't be any roof leaks ever, and to my relief the hot air blowing down from the hooded exit does not damage our plantings.

BTW, we continued the flue cover to the ceiling anyway because I still wanted it to break up the flat wall between banks of windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here