Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

giacomo! question about antiqued mirror backsplash, please!

dirtymartini
12 years ago

Hi! Can you share your source for the antique mirror backsplash you posted a photo of recently...the white kitchen? Thanks so much!

I really liked the Ann sacks "visage" antique mirror tiles that was posted on the same thread, but at $83 a sq ft, hubby said "NOPE!" Wondering if the ones you used were more reasonably priced.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I used an antiqued mirror for my vanity in my bathroom. It is big, I would say about 8 feet square (the mirror is framed by big molding, and a counter with sink float on it, if you will)

The mirror was about $1500, uninstalled (~ $23 sq ft then). Almost any glass place will have this nowadays. You can select the degree of antiquing you want. My local glass guy told me he just did an entire floor of the Plaza in the same (very subtle) antique mirror I chose -- for Tommy Hilfiger. I do not know if I like it more or less after that.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, mtnredux. I know that feeling. I might really love something and then I find out J-Lo or Kanye West or someone like that put the same thing in their home and I am like "hmmmm...now I am not sure I like it anymore!"

I can go as much as $25 per sq ft...need about 16, I think. I think I prefer large tiles...or maybe smaller tiles...so I am hoping that would cheaper.

Thanks for the input! Bet that bathroom is lovely (feel free to share a pic if you would like!)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumping for giacomo!

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Dirtymartini - Giacomo Ferrucci checks into Kitchens Forum infrequently. It's why whenever I see a thread pop up from him, I can't wait to open it, cause it's always a treat. He is a busy guy - he's a KD, plus runs a shop in Chicago that sells only Italian cabinetry and other Italian furnishings. You might want to try contacting him through Facebook, LinkedIn, or his shop's website, which I will link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Giacomo's Archisesto

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Martini,

Yes, tiles are probably cheaper for the materials, but maybe more for the labor? Did the picture you liked have tiles... I would think tiles will have a very different look, since your eye will read the pattern of the "grout" lines.

I have discovered it is almost impossible to photograph a distressed mirror, especially when it s reflecting a distressed tile.

Here it is anyway
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1555816}}

• giacomo_it
    12 years ago

sorry having a charity event on my showroom and got busy.
    I will check tomorrow/monday I don't remember.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

akchicago-thank you for the link and the info on giacomo...I had no idea! What a great site.

giacomo-Thank you, I appreciate it. You do incredible work!

mtnrdredux-whoa, that is stunning! So cool how tre mirror continues below the counter. I love it..because I can assure you I have seen nothing like that in any homes around here, even in so called "upscale" homes!

labor? It will be my husband. :) He has built the entire kitchen FROM SCRATCH, installed all appliances, sink, etc. Ran plumbing, ran gas line from outside...I am so blessed to have such a handy hubby. Wait til you see finished pics, he did an incredible job. he installed our wood floor, hung drywall, changed up electric, painted exterior of home, paved and stamped asphalt driveway (ok, he is in paving business, so that one was a given, lol) he just knows how to do so much STUFF and I am always so impressed. I only tell you all of this because I know when I first posted about DH making cabinets, many GWers here scoffed. My point is, if he says he can do mirror tiles on our backsplash...he can! So thank goodness labor is not an issue.

BTW, everyone...I found a few links about antiquing mirrors at home and it seems pretty easy. Below is a link if you are interested. It would be cheap enough to experiment on a few cheap mirrors to get the look just right.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to antique mirrors

• giacomo_it
    12 years ago

I just checked was made custom from a glass shop in a suburb of Chicago.

Let me know if you need more info.

Ciao!!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, giacomo! Beautiful work you do!