Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Update on my granite

Mom23Es
11 years ago

I'm happy. :)

Here's the picture of the area that was replaced. I don't think you can see the seams at all unless you really look for them.

And here are the seams up close.

This seam is the most noticeable simply because it was cut from a different place on the granite. We did the best we could to match up colors and movement, and I think it's fine.

I was overall disappointed that they needed to put in so many seams, but there really aren't noticeable. Once the faucet is installed and kitchen comes to life, the seams will be totally forgotten. HUGE sigh of relief.

Thanks for all your support and knowledge. I'm so glad we asked and fought for better. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on the hack job on my beautiful granite

Comments (13)

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I was following your saga and I am so glad you resolved it so successfully. They did a fantastic job in matching the pieces.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

It looks great! They did a nice job on the match and I'm just so glad they redid them for you. I would apply my 90% rule here. If you can get 90% of what you were hoping for that's pretty good. Looks like you did well on this one with only the one seam that bugs you a little : ) I love your choices, looking good!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Oh yes, that is so much better. I think they did a great job with both seams.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Stunning job! So happy for you!!! And that granite still 'WOWS' me!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Much improved - although I still don't understand why 2 seams at the sink - but looks great!
    Love the movement and flow of the granite!!! It is beautiful!!!!!!
    And you snuck in the tile without mentioning them - nice job!!!!

• labbie
    11 years ago

It looks great! What a beautiful stone.
    I'm glad you fought for what you wanted, but honestly the most disheartening lesson I've learned through all of this kitchen remodel is the fact that we so often have to "fight" to get something we'd paid for and were promised up front.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

It's gorgeous! I'm so glad they were able to resolve the original issue. I'm sorry that they ended up doing more seams than you'd hoped for, but it looks like they did a great job (even with the one on the right side of the sink) and everything seems to blend perfectly. Yours is one of the most stunning stones I've ever seen. Congratulations!

• caminnc
    11 years ago

BEAUTIFUL granite and kitchen.

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Look great - so much better!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I was wondering how things were going for you. OMG soooo much better. Beautiful.
    I have to ask, the original was so obviously wrong where they didn't even match the direction of the veining, what the heck happened there? Did someone layout the template without thinking it mattered? Crazy. Glad it worked out. Look forward to seeing your finished kitchen.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

island- Nobody ever fessed up. I have very good pictures of the original templating, and we clearly did not get what we agreed to. The guy we templated with (both times) was fantastic, and as soon as he saw our original granite install he knew it was wrong. I'm sure a lot more went on behind the scenes, but they didn't let us know.

a2gemini- I was very frustrated about so many seams, but after talking to everyone we could possibly talk to, we couldn't get a different answer. They insisted the stone was too fragile. They told us that even if they could fabricate it, they didn't think it would make it through delivery and installation. In the end I decided it was best to just insist on the absolute best seams possible. After seeing their original install, we certainly weren't going to push them to do something they told us they couldn't do!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

They did a great job on take 2. It is beautiful and no one will notice the 2 seams unless you point them out. See - look, there are 2 seams at the sink....

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- Forgot to respond to your tile comment before. I was so excited about my granite and concerned about the herringbone accent that I totally forgot to mention the rest of the tile. It all happened so fast! I'm sure it's done by now, but today I couldn't make it over prior to them staining the floors. Sigh. Now I have to wait until the weekend to get in the house and see my kitchen. I wasn't really thinking much about the backsplash because I thought it would just be pretty plain (white subway tile with white grout), but it's turning out pretty cool with that wavy tile. It's supposed to look more handmade.