Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Help me pick some lights!

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Here's my stuff. I need help picking lights.

Cabinet door:

{{!gwi}}

Hood:

{{!gwi}}

Minas soapstone:

{{!gwi}}

Backsplash (fingers & toes crossed) of ming green marble:

{{!gwi}}

I'm thinking about these pendants that I saw at a neighborhood bakery. I'd probably do red - would that work? We have lots and lots of greens throughout our house with red accents. I *love* the blue but it doesn't go w/ my colors.

{{!gwi}}

This is too dressy for us, but I like the barrel shape and I'm looking for something along these lines:

{{!gwi}}

In adjacent dining room:

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts, suggestions, objections, rants about my horrible choices?

Anita

Comments (26)

• redroze
    15 years ago

I really like the pendant lights for you!! I think the red would look stunning. I have to make an argument for the blue though, as I think the blue would work beautifully too. The red/green would be contrasting colours, while the green/blue would be similar colours. Either would work really well...but I'd favour the blue! Your backsplash has the slightest hint of blue in it anyway...

Crossing my fingers on the ming green backsplash...

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

redroze,
    You really think the blue would work? I love the blue, but I'm terrible with color. I actually posted all the colors and not just the red to see if anyone preferred a different color!

If I get my tiles tomorrow (please, please, praying to the tile gods) I can take them in to the bakery and see how the colors look together.

In honor of bluekitobsessed, I would like to put a touch of blue back in the kitchen :)

Anita

• redroze
    15 years ago

Yes I do think it will work, and I am very diligent about expressing my gut feeling on what will work. I think it would be gorgeous. The red would be a nice pop, but the blue would integrate beautifully and bring out the blue in the ming green tiles (which tile gods, you must put in nomorebluekitchen's possession immediately). Let's hear what others would think but I don't think I'm wrong about this.

Check it out:

• redroze
    15 years ago

Just curious...what colour do they have in the bakery? Make sure you bring every sample you can...your "kitchen in a bag". Soapstone sample, cabinet door, etc. The bakery folks will think your nutso (and they'll be right but you're in good company here!) Good luck!

• smilingjudy
    15 years ago

The blue and green can totally work together. It's a less energetic combo than red and green.....more soothing/beachy, but it can totally work. The predominant colors throughout my home are blue and green and I got lots of compliments on the combo. (Of course, people could be lying to be polite, but you know.... :) Besides, a blue pendant is super easy to switch out if you decide you don't like it.

I would totally buy that barrel pendant for my DR if it had a rod instead of a chain. droooooooool. Sorry I have no other suggestions. I've been stuck on lights and hardware for eons.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They have the blue at the bakery! I'll take my sample bag over one morning when they're busy and get opinions from shoppers, LOL.

Every time I've been in there (Dolce in Prairie Village for any of you Kansas / Missouri folks) I have admired the lights, and while I was shopping I kept thinking "I don't see anything I like as well as the ones at the shop". I figured they wouldn't know what they had - most store owners don't - but I left a note this morning and the owner called this afternoon and gave me the information. Nice, huh? Great pastries, too.

Anita

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Before I read all the other responses I thought the blue might be good, too...and although I'm never one to choose blue, and 'always' choose red, I think I might prefer it. Your greens seem to have a bit of a blue cast, and the light seems to be a little on the greenish side of blue. I think the juxtaposition of the greens and that blue, if we're getting the right colors via computer screen, would be great...less jarring than the red. And if you've got the red other places, maybe this is a good place to go for something else? You could always sneak in a bit of red in accessories.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

My first hit was in liking the blue as well.

Of course, you know you'll need to take your 'kitchen in a bag' into the bakery in morning light, full daylight when the lights aren't on, late evening when the lights are on...... at that point they will no longer be questioning whether or not you are indeed a tad nuts & TKO (and of course, by then, they will know what that means) ;-D

& good luck with the tile - my gut is telling me they will arrive tomorrow!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Personally, I think the purple is best. But then purple is (almost) always best. Those are very cool lights.

I think it would be cool in your kitchen but think the blue might work well, too. Depends on the tones in the ming green (which, by the way, I'm dieing to see).

• bbstx
    15 years ago

can you tell me more about the light that immediately follows the pendants, please? Love it!

btw, my first response was the blue pendant.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Blue! Everyone does red, bah. :) The blue will look stupendous with the Ming marble. I'm not even a blue person, but I definitely vote blue for your color scheme.

On the tile -- just fyi, you really can use 12"x18" or 18"x18" tiles and cut them down into 2" strips if you need to - this marble is absolutely flat and doesn't have bevels, so it won't show. Lots of folks sell the larger sizes and you might find a pretty good deal.
    (I say this with relative confidence because I just tiled my entire kitchen with 6"x6" tiles that I cut in half to make 3x6 subways, since the tile I had my heart set on didn't come in subway shape. Even the tile supplier could not tell when he came to take a look at the final project.)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I haven't shown my hand yet so there is a good chance I have terrible taste but I really do like the blue. Always hard to tell on the monitor but it seems like a bit of a Tiffany's blue. Really nice and a little out of the ordinary which always enhances a room.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I adore red accents. So my first gut response was to agree with you on the red. But the more I look at your soapstone and backspash, I agree that blue is better. I think the red would actually pop too much and draw the attention away from the REAL stars of your kitchen, while the blue would nicely compliment the stars and not try to steal the show.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

The problem for me in deciding which I like best is that I love the red so much better against the cabinets....but agree that the blue looks best with the splash. But since you love the blue so much (very interesting, considering 'no more blue', lol) I don't think you could go wrong with it. They are very cool lites, whatever color you choose.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

I love the pendant lights! Where can I find them?

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bb, here is a link for that 2nd light:

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/qz-dx1718c.html

If the link doesn't work, do a search on Quoizel contemporary and you'll find it on Arcadian lighing's web page.

Anita

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Robin,

The pendants are called Sugar (yum!) and they are by Tech Lighting. I found them on Arcadian Lighting's website but they're available lots of places.

Anita

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Uh oh... I'm going against the consensus here. I do love that blue color, and I do generally love blues and greens together (want to do it in my living room!) - but only *certain* blues and greens. I'm not sure *that* blue goes with the counter and backsplash. (I could be wrong - I'm a little color-challenged myself!)

My first thought when I looked at all the colors was the gold. I'm not even that into gold - but I thought that was a really beautiful gold. The red is beautiful too. The gold seems like slightly less surprise-pop than the red, which is either a good or a bad thing. ;-)

I'm glad you'll be able to pack up your "kitchen-in-a-bag" and take it to the bakery to hold against the blue pendant. Maybe it will be gorgeous together!

(You know... the purple may be interesting too... Green and purple can be great together. Hmmm...)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Well, if you're willing to change your name to "Justalittlebitofbluekitchen" I think you should go with the blue. At least on my monitor, it seems to go better with both the soapstone and the beautiful tiles (Which, I'm visualizing racing to your house as we speak!).

Caveat: My perimeter countertops will be zodiaq Eclipse, and my island will be painted grey/blue, so can I be trusted?

Arlene

• crescent50
    15 years ago

I vote for the blue- I think it will be perfect with the backsplash.

I'm sure you've already answered but I love your cabinet color- do you mind sharing?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I have reservations about the blue, only because I can't see the color in person and that's going to be a big issue. If the colors are in the same tones, than go blue. Red reads a little too much christmas to me with that soapstone (actually way too much christmas). But, I also thought the white or gold would be lovely, and those were my first choices.

What's wrong with the first light for the DR? It's casual and elegant and very very cool!

• positano
    15 years ago

Honestly, I'm not so sure about the blue either. On my monitor it's reading as baby blue. I think you need more of a blue/green tone. I'm sure it will help to bring all the samples down and see it with the lights on and off. I hope I'm wrong about the color, it is very pretty. I just think it has to be the right shade of blue.

All of your choices are beautiful....I'm hoping you get that tile!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

On my monitor, the blue pendant reads and aqua or blue-green. I do like it, and would also like the gold or white. The purple is fun, but if that's what you wanted, you'd know it and wouldn't be asking.

Igloochic and I had the same reaction to the red -- too Hristmasy and just too much with that backsplash especially.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for all the great help!

I do appreciate the comment about green / red being Christmasy. I would HATE that effect. And lascatx, you're right about the purple - it is just not a color that trips my trigger! I see objectively that it is pretty but it doesn't feel like me.

I just looked at the website again and the color name for the blue is aqua, so it must be more of a blue green. (It is the one I saw in person but my color memory SUCKS, I just know I loved it.)

I am so glad I posted the photo of all 5 colors and not just the red so I could get all these reactions. When I get my tile (optimistic me!) I will have the blue, white and gold to consider.

redroze, I love what you did pulling the photos together on top of one another so I could see them overlaid. How did you do that?

Anita

• redroze
    15 years ago

Neat trick, eh? I pulled them together using ImageReady, or you can do it in Photoshop. You need graphic design software in order to do it.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Well not necessarily graphic design, but image software for manipulating/cropping/enhancing digital images.

Can't wait to see the ming green! I think if the lights are aqua, it will go beautifully.