Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kvasiir

Lurker's very late finished kitchen post

Carl Norum
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I haven't been around here much since May or so when we finally finished our project. I have at long last gotten the before & after pictures from our kitchen designer and wrote up a blog post about all of our kitchen details. Before getting down to the pics & links, I want to thank the kitchen forum for two big ingredients in our kitchen. My wife & I were reading the thread about "biggest kitchen regrets" from a few years back, and it definitely helped us make some decisions - first to go with the crazy granite, which I wouldn't have any other way now that it's been installed, and second to put garbage disposal units in both sinks.

Now then, without further ado, some before & after pictures and a list of all our kitchen details. I hope that they can help provide other forum regulars and lurkers with even a fraction of the design ideas and inspiration we found by hanging around this forum before and during our project. All these images and details are also available here.

Before Pictures - click thumbnails for larger versions:

After Pictures - click thumbnails for larger versions:

Vendor information and design details:

Comments (28)

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen! Thanks so much for including all the details and links...so helpful! Enjoy your bright, beautiful, and warm kitchen!!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the cabinetry, granite, pendants, and the shape of the island -- must be so great for conversation. Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen!

• akrogirl
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I am not usually that big a fan of tiled back-splashes, but I absolutely love what you have done behind your range-top.

• rosie
    12 years ago

That's very nice, Carlnorum. Your "crazy" granite makes a gorgeous major feature and strikes me as a perfect use of that strong pattern. Happy cooking!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I like the staggered wine cabinetry by the stairs, creative.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Wow! Stunning backsplash and granite, great with the cabinets. I love the warmth of it all. Simply beautiful.

My before kitchen has a very similar countertop to your before ... one of my favourite things so far (currently mid reno, just done demo) was smashing the h* out of it with a sledgehammer. Apologies to anyone who loves their tile countertop.

• Eyegirlie
    12 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE your granite!!! It's probably my favorite granite ever that I've seen! We're currently building our house and didn't have it in budget to do "crazy" granite - so although I think it's beautiful, it doesn't compare to yours =) Congrats!!

• Luv2Laf
    12 years ago

Your granite is beautiful! And your selection of backsplash is brilliant! WOW!

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

Stunningly beautiful granite. I'm going to bookmark your post because I'm in your area and may be doing a kitchen remodel within the next year or so. Glad to hear you liked your design/build company.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

It is hard to believe the before and after are even in the same neighborhood, lol.... I love the drama of your kitchen with the feature behind the cooktop most of all ;)

Night and day.....

Congrats!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Great improvement - congrats!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Really very lovely... love the creativity by the stairs and the open concept. Enjoy your new kitchen!!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Everything goes together so nicely to make it warm, inviting, and yet so classy! Your kitchen is an inspiration for me. Thanks for giving the details.

• Cindy1961
    12 years ago

NICE! I love the new stairway and the way the new cabinets fit along it.

• Carl Norum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everybody! We're pretty happy with the results, too. Hopefully the links will come in handy.

@akrogirl - all the credit for the backsplash design goes to our designer, Yana Mlynash. She really did a great job on that one, I think.

@mmhmmgood - I can't tell you how happy I am to not have a tile countertop anymore. Barf.

@annkathryn - I was very happy with these guys and all the work they did. There's a link to their web page in the original post. I'd strongly recommend them. I wrote up a review on Angie's List if you want more details. There are plenty of other reviews there too. If you go in, tell them we sent you!

I should note that we did have a very bad overall experience with the appliance company "Standards of Excellence", so I would avoid them. Otherwise the project went very smoothly.

@remodelfla - taking out a couple of walls really helped with the open feeling. A bonus feature of removing the wall by the staircase is that it's now much easier to hear each other when shouting between floors. =)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like the granite - what a showstopper and it ties in perfectly with your behind the cooktop backsplash design. The kitchen looks so welcoming with the conversation area at the island - nice job.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Beautiful, crazy, busy granite works so well and is the shining star here. The rest is elegant and so very well suited. What a wonderful vision to have transformed the before into that Wow after. Congrats!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen it looks so beautiful. Great job!!! Love your granite with the cabinet colors. Beautiful.

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

Beautiful job, really love the granite and the stepped cabinetry at the stairway. You must be in the bay area, I love Bedrosians for stone and tile too.

• Carl Norum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@pollyanna - yes, we're in San Jose, right near 85 & 17. Technically "unincorporated county", which made permits easy (and cheap), but it means most people in the neighbourhood don't have sidewalks. Boooooo.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I love the large, curved island! I find it super encouraging as I am considering something very similar. I'd love to know the dimensions and any thing you would do different in regards to its shape, seating or whatnot. Very cool way to open up the space and make it much more functional. Way to go!

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

I love that area, Los Gatos/Campbell sort of mesh there near Camden I am guessing. The streets are confusing and you can go in circles. While looking to buy, we looked and looked at those homes most of them have nice large lots. None were for sale. My DH always loved those homes, because of the large lots, AND lack of sidewalks, and how different from each other and well kept all the homes are. Great job on the kitchen.

• Carl Norum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@pollyanna - yup that's the place. Good luck with your project!

@NewSouthernBelle - the island is huge. 8' long and 6'9" wide. The short straight side is just a little under 4', and the other side is the curved one. The shape is pretty cool, and the whole island isn't quite squared up with the rest of the kitchen - rotated about 20 degrees or so, which also helps make it look interesting. The countertop is supported on three legs and a pretty thick plywood top. The extra thickness is great - because of that, the granite is stacked up triple thick on the island which makes the countertop look really beefy. The three legs are just a little too close to the edge of the counter, though - it's possible to bang your knees depending on where you're sitting. Unfortunately, all that stone is heavy, so fixing that doesn't seem really practical. Here's a link to a layout diagram that will hopefully help you visualize it:

• lynn85
    12 years ago

What a big change! The remodel looks amazing, love the bar and how you opened up the staircase! Absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

I'm still loving that granite :-)

One question though, because my kitchen has a similar oven placement: do you have problems finding a landing place for food that comes out hot from the oven? Do you just put the hot dish on the stove?

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

gorgeous kitchen! i am also in the bay area and really appreciate your posting all of your sources! btw, where did you purchase your hardwood floors? it seems USC flooring only sells to retailers..

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Thank you - that is exactly what I was looking for.

• Carl Norum
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@annkathryn - anything that comes out of the oven either goes onto the stove or just straight onto the countertop on the corner of the island or immediately across from the oven.

@michoumonster - our kitchen design/build shop, Artistic Kitchen Design & Remodeling in Mountain View, are a USC retailer, so we got it from them as part of our project.