Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katmomma_gw

New kitchen layout suggestions

katmomma
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm attaching a pic of our 1st floor layout for our new house. Before the framing starts, does Anyone have suggestions On any other kitchen layout options? We are doing a white kitchen with an espresso island. Cambria torquay counters and the serving area will also be espresso upper and lowers. Also a carrera marble backsplash. It's hard to see from the picture but the sink currently overlooks the backyard and deck. The range will be a 48 inch smeg that is behind the island . we will have a stainless hood over the range. Also, should we add a wet bar on the serving area? The serving area is the space against the stairs in the kitchen. Does that add value in resale? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Can you provide a close up of the kitchen area? It is difficult to read.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Your kitchen sounds very pretty...nice combination of finishes :)

I would add a sink to the service area...maybe make that your coffee bar/snack area, as well?

My only question...what are the dimensions of the formal dining room? It looks like more than 6 people might get a bit crowded.

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dimensions of the dining room are 11x13 1/2 ....the table will actually be turned the opposite way so it will not look as cramped. Im attaching some better pictures. For some reason my computer wont let me upload the pdfs so im taking a pictures of the.blueprints. thanks!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

That's larger than it looked. Should be fine :)

The only thing I would change is the bathroom by the study. If you could make that hall closet a little smaller, you'd have room for a 3/4 bath...powder room with shower. That might come in handy, if you ever need the study to double as a guest room or have a situation, where stairs are difficult.

My husband got sick (very unexpectedly) and was temporarily in a wheelchair. You also have other accidents/injuries that can result in stairs being difficult, even if for a few weeks. A main floor shower and option of sleeping downstairs, might be worth considering.

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

For the most part, I think the plan looks really good. I think I'd want the fridge closer to the action in the rest of the house. While architects often put all food storage together with the idea of unloading groceries, that is often a weekly task. While coming into the kitchen to grab a drink or a snack is a daily occurrence. So, I'd place it down on the other side of the sink - closer to great room and the deck. If you decide to put a wet bar and a beverage/snack fridge in the serving area, moving the fridge may not be necessary, but would still be more convenient. Plus, it would allow you to then move the range down to be more centered, which I think would not only look better but function a bit better as well, especially with such a large range on that wall.

You may also want to consider a prep sink in the island if you ever have more than one cook working in the kitchen. A prep sink is not the same as a bar sink. It really comes in handy when you have 2 people needing to wash veggies or even just rinse off hands. I also use mine to thaw vacuum packaged meats quickly.

I don't have one myself, but I like Lavender's idea about the 3/4 bath rather than just a powder room. The study could easily become a bedroom if necessary.

Overall, it looks like a very nice house plan.

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for those suggestions. I was hoping to have room for a coffee bar cabinet that could house a microwave above but not sure if we will have room for it..im attaching a picture of what I had in mind...I was thinking maybe somewhere in the serving area but im afraid of closing it off too much. Any thoughts?

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

That's a lovely cabinet. Did you envision it in the kitchen proper, or over in the serving area?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

That's nice! It would look great in your service area. If you put the bar sink and microwave there....and maybe even add an under counter beverage fridge...you'd have a wonderful snack area. See how easily I spend your money (sorry!) :)

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not exactly sure....I guess I don't have a preference. I like the idea of the coffee accessories being hidden but I just don't want to make anything looked closed off

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Since you have walls on both ends of the serving area...what if you have a cabinet (like the coffee area) on each side. Then the middle would be open, but you'd have the storage. Just an idea...

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

If you do move the fridge, I would center the range or cooktop / hood on that wall to better align with the fireplace on opposite side.

I would rather have a prep sink on island than on serving area. A sink on serving area would be handy when you have guests, but a prep sink is handy for everyday use.

Looks like a really nice home. Good luck!

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions! So moving the fridge to the right of the kitchen sink wouldn't make it look too closed off or too tight squeeze? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure we do everything right. I do like the idea of a prep sink rather than a wet bar as well.

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same as Lavender if you want to put the coffee center in the serving area. Put a small bar sink there (yes, 3 sinks, I know...) and I would also consider putting another tall cab at the other end of the serving area to balance it out. Put a beverage fridge there or even some fridge drawers (one for snacks, one for drinks) and you'd have a great snack area.

I don't personally think the fridge by the door to the deck will make the space feel closed off. I assume it will be in some type of cabinet. I put a book rack on the end of mine and I love it. However, I do know that some people have chosen not to put the fridge in a similar location for that reason. It may depend on the fridge, or what your cabinet maker can do to make it feel integrated.

Here's the end of my fridge: