Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

What do you think of the herringbone accent above range top?

Mom23Es
11 years ago

This is a bit different from the photo I left for the tile guys. I'm trying to gather opinions before I say too much. I know that "herringbone pattern" seems to have many different interpretations.

Do you like it? Does it look right?

(Obviously it needs grouted still.)

Comments (23)

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Love it.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

These things are so personal. How is it different than the picture you showed them?
    If you showed them a picture and it is very different than your result, then they need to redo.
    This might not be my choice, but if you revealed your kitchen with this as part of the backsplash, I don't think it would look like a mistake.
    Are you asking us if you should keep it as is?

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I love it, too.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ellendi- I just want to know if it looks like a mistake. DH loves it. It took me a few minutes to figure out why it didn't look as I was expecting it to. I am really not a tile expert. I will be fine with it as long as people don't walk into my kitchen and think "I can't exactly put my finger on it, but that tile looks a bit strange".

• mommy2nk
    11 years ago

I think it looks great! I looked up herringbone patterns and there are many different looks and interpretations.
    I think what is important is if your okay with it, do you like it or is it bothering you? I don't think anyone would walk in and say it was a mistake, I think quite the opposite. I will say one thing though and this is just how I am but something to think about. If I think something should be a certain way like a pattern and it appears off to me and I leave it, it would probably always bother me. I know my husband would say to me to have it done the way I wanted because we are spending so much money for me to second guess forever. That is just me though, I sort of obsess about little details but miss the big ones. Again, I think it is beautiful!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Is it that you wanted a "horizontal" herringbone, and you got a "vertical," that is, same pattern rotated by 90 deg.?

Honestly, I think I would slightly prefer it to be rotated from your version, but only very slightly. I CERTAINLY don't think it looks like a mistake. It looks quite lovely.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I think it looks refreshing and unique for a herringbone pattern. Like Angie_DIY above, I'm guessing you were envisioning a horizontal herringbone and they did a vertical one. I like it.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AngieDIY and mydreamhome- yes! Exactly. I was thinking the pattern would be rotated 90 degrees. It looks sideways to me. Lol. I really don't think it's a big deal and probably not worth having them do over. I just needed to post here to see if everyone thought it looks on its side. I need reassurance that it looks fine. Good thing it's not bunny tile!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I like it - can you put a few tiles up on how they will be mounted for the rest of the kitchen.
    Great tile choice in any case!

• carybk
    11 years ago

If you think it looks sideways, ask them to do what looks right to you. It looks fine to me, but you don't want a thought bothering you at the back of your mind when they can fix it easily enough.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I think it looks fine (wouldn't notice anything wrong with it) however if you left a picture with them and want it horizontally they should change it for you.

• Linda
    11 years ago

I did think it looked "sideways", but when I googled herringbone backsplashes, lots showed up like this! So, it is whatever you like, want, told them!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I think you have vertical/horizontal mixed up. If you told them to do horizontal, they did it right.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I like it, even after trying to visualize it the other way.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I believe my backsplash was done in the horizontal herringbone, here it is:

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all your opinions! It helps so much to learn what other people see. I think I'll just let it go. The moving truck is supposed to arrive in less than two weeks, and I really don't want any more delays. Even though it's not quite what I was thinking, it still looks nice. I'm just glad it doesn't scream "sideways" to everyone. :-)

Now, we DO need to fix the super modern shower valves that don't match the very traditional sink faucets in our master bath, but that's a different story. Lol.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Oh, I see what you mean about the vertical layout of the herringbone, the tiles themselves, not the overall shape of the piece.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a pic from a bit away. I think it's less noticeable.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I was just looking at the post above this one, "Show your white kitchens" and jgop has the same backsplash above her stove. Looks very similar to yours. Check it out.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Hey, I just looked at this with fresh eyes. You know what it looks like to me? It looks like stylized flames waving and rising from your rangetop! I now think I like it better this way!

• cindyinct
    11 years ago

I think it looks fine. You have a beautiful kitchen. Seems like too many people on this site fuss about nothing. Enjoy your new kitchen! Wish I had one.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Angie - I was thinking the same thing after looking at Badgergals post again. I wanted to send it this morning - but no time!

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I like it, but I prefer the 'horizontal' herringbone. It keeps the eye going around the circumference of the room. The vertical makes me want to look up and down.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert