Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough butcher block texture- help!

Posted by Kjirstyn (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 21:44

We recently installed butcher block counters in our kitchen, which I have faithfully oiled according to the standard 3-4 weeks. From the very first the counters were not smooth feeling-- not rough, exactly, but definitely not smooth or silky, like I've felt other butcher counters be. I thought successive oilings would mellow it out but it only seems to be getting worse. Is there some kind of finish we can put on that isn't problematic around food? I'm flummoxed as to why ours is so different from every other butcher block I've ever met.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough butcher block texture- help!

I have a new cutting board that is like that. It's like the mineral oil raised the grain. Since it's just a cutting board, I'm going to lightly sand it and oil it again.

o

I'd get a super fine sanding block and you can get them sooo smooth. Just re-oil. Can't imagine it would do anything wrong although I'm no wood expert. If there's no finish on them, sanding shouldn't be an issue.

o

Fine sanding was the option we came up with but we weren't sure if that was the actual problem or not. Hope so!

o

I would actually take the very finest sandpaper you can find, and lubricate it with the mineral oil or whatever you're using, and sand it in careful, light circles.

If you've ever done decoupage, it's like the final coat.

C.

o

I wanted to report back and tell you that I sanded my cutting board with 400 grit paper and reoiled. It is sooo much better. Still not smooth as silk, but without the burrs it had before. I think one more sanding and it will be smooth as silk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here