Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Vent pipe in the way

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

Just started kitchen reno. I had wanted a bigger kitchen window and when we opened the wall this is what we found (vent pipe right under window). Contractor right away said call your window guy window has to stay size it is. I asked him if pipe can be moved but he said it's very complicated and doesn't recommended it. Thoughts?
Thanks!
I posted in plumbing forum also, but curious if this happened to anyone here?

Comments (15)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

That's typical plumbing for a sink and it's not in the least complicated.
    What strikes me, is who allowed the window sil to be unsupported, except on the ends.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

nyrgirl35:

Ask your plumbing inspector for permission to install a "loop" vent in the sink cabinet. If he agrees, you can remove and abandon this one very inexpensively.

Are you sure you want that window any lower anyway?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

We had something similar, plumber had no issue with it being moved.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Moving a vent should not be a big deal.

• huango
    9 years ago

1. Our loop vent at the sink against the wall did NOT pass inspection.
    Inspector said that loop vents are to be only used for islands, when you have no other option.
    So check w/ your inspector or GC before doing it to save time (holding up next items like drywalling, countertop templating, etc) and money.

2. So we cut into our cabinets, leading the pipe AGAINST the wall. We have about 2.5" of dead space behind each drawer before the wall.
    (note: we had also pulled our sink and DW out 3.5" from the wall on purpose: looks, deeper countertop; not just for the vent pipe)
    The reason why we did this, is before the reno, the previous owner had cut small holes into all the studs along that wall and piped it through that way. Yeah, way to feel safe about the 2nd/3rd floor support.

good luck,
    Amanda

loop vent

This post was edited by huango on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 9:04

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

If a loop vent isn't legal, would a studor vent be?

We had a studor in our last kitchen for exactly this reason. I had them put in a loop vent in our new kitchen (haven't had the inspector back yet - hope we're ok) because our studor vent smelled like farts, but it got the job done.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Remove the drywall below the second sil, drill the studs, install a clean out, 2 vent "L's" and join to the vertical vent.

As simple as that.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

What snoonyb says... easy peasy, and add some cripple studs in that void space where the existing vent is ...I'm sure that hack job was not inspected, sheesh ;)

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

Oh no, Swentastic!

Does anyone else have a studor vent that smells like farts? We're getting one in the island and I have no desire to add fart smell to the wonderful aromas in our new kitchen!

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Properly and frequent use should preclude the "fart" smell, unless of course, an "old fart" is in close proximity............,
    now that's another story.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Yuk yuk yuk! Someone's got jokes!

I think it was a pitch issue with the pipe installation - I googled it up when it happened and that seemed to be the ready explanation. I used the kitchen sink all the time, it only seemed to smell bad when we ran the dishwasher. I'd dump bleach down there occasionally and that would kill it for awhile.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Swentastic

Another wrinkle.

If the DW discharge connects to a disposal, than a solution would be to run cold water for a shot period to vacate any possible residue from the DW.

If the DW connects to the sink tail piece above the trap, then there is the possibility for waste water remaining in the DW discharge line venting up through the basket strainer.

Age, not withstanding.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Studor vents only let air in, not out, so if you're getting sewer smell, you've got another problem:

It's poison gas by the way and can kill you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Studor

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 16:21

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Eek Treb! Not to hijack nyrgirl's thread completely but I had no idea! I just figured it was leftovers from when the lateral under the house backed up shortly after we moved in. That sink drained into the same stack that the plumbers had to rooter out.

The DW did drain into the disposal - the reason I thought the studor was the culprit was because it smelled worse from under the sink than it did standing over it. Anyway, bullet dodged I guess. Now I know!

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

Yes, apologies to nyrgirl, but thanks for the info on Studor vents. Hopefully no farts smell, old or otherwise, in my kitchen.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022