Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icenet

Sinks- Undermount vs. Overmount

icenet
15 years ago

Hi All,

It seems undermount is the way to go. Is there any reason to use an overmount? I'm installing caesarstone stone counters and like the clean lines of the undermount. So far, I'm leaning towards the Elkay Signature Plus Offset sink. I don't like the big/small side combination but prefer the offset setup. Please advise. Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Jim Peschke
    15 years ago

Many people prefer the look of the undermount (as you do) and it sure is nice to be able to push crumbs and debris right into the sink rather than up over the rim of an overmount sink. What are the disadvantages? Well, it can't be removed easily, if at all, once the counter is installed. I wouldn't let that stop me, but here's what happened to me. My sink was damaged during the countertop install. They could have simply replaced the sink if it was an overmount. In my case they would have had to remove the counters, refabricate the granite from new slabs and probably end up damaging my custom cabinets to boot--I opted to live with the damage for a concession from the contractor. Despite that, I'd install an undermount sink again in a second.

- Jim

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I've lived with an overmount sink for 20 years and I'm so glad I'll be going to an undermount. Trying to clean under the rim is a never ending battle because the more you scrub the more grout/sealent you lose and the further under goes the dirt.

• caligal
    15 years ago

I just had my caesarstone "oyster" installed today w/ an undermount sink. I really didn't like the big/small sink either, but this one came free w/ my counter top install. I think I am going to love this sink. The sink looks so much better installed.

Detail of edge.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I love undermount. This long run of granite is uninterrupted because the sink is undermount. The edge is so nice and clean.

• gwent
    15 years ago

We installed an undermount for all the reasons mentioned earlier. The ONLY drawback in my book is that you can't use laminate countertop (I was told) with an undermount. I wanted laminate to save some $ but in the end went with undermount and Cambria quartz- looks great! But due to its cost I feel like I have to live with it forever...

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Actually, a knowledgable stone fabricator can remove an undermount sink and install a new one (of the same model) with minimal fuss. (Farm sinks are the ones that it's almost undoable, but even those can be replaced.) I had a client whose husband had a firearm "accident" in the kitchen and shot a hole in her Blanco silgranite sink. (One of the few cases of actual damage to a silgranite sink I've heard of, and it took a 45 caliber gun to do it!) I ordered her a new sink, called my granite fabricators, and the next time they had a job scheduled in the area, they pulled her old sink and reinstalled her new one. It cost $200 for the labor, but it was well worth it to her.

So, undermount sinks can be replaced. Now, switching to a completely different style of sink, that would be tricky. It would have to be larger in all dimensions than the first sink, and room in the base cabinet might be compromised, as well as having to pull the tops and refabricate the opening.

• dalcolli
    15 years ago

Laminate counters with an undermount sink are available and have been for several years - at least since we used one when we remodeled the kitchen in our last house back in 2005 and they weren't brand new then, although it was advertised as being a new option/technology. However, this belief they aren't doable is extremely common - I even heard an expert say it on an HGTV renovation show just this past weekend! The only thing I can figure is that maybe this is a regional thing offered by the patent-holding company or something.

• dalcolli
    15 years ago

OK, for some reason I can't seem to recall any details about that sink, but I did just find the link below while googling. I think the name is ringing a bell and it might be what we had. Looks like it may be limited to solid surface type sinks, so maybe no stainless.

Caligal, LOVE your quartz.

Icenet, I can't imagine you could go wrong getting undermount.

Here is a link that might be useful: Undermount sink for laminate

• joyce_6333
    15 years ago

I recently saw a display at Menards with a solid surface sink undermounted in laminate. Looked really nice. I didn't get all the details but I think the fabricator was Custom Craft, or something like that.

• kmgard
    15 years ago

I've done a bit of research on the undermount sinks with laminate as well. I found the online product that dalcolli linked to, but I also found a local cabinet place that does them as well. The local place fabricates their own laminate countertops (using laminate from Wilsonart or Formica), so they've recently started doing undermount sinks as an option. The person I spoke with said they used the same method to adhere the sinks to the countertop as Karran.

It's important to note that even though they say "seamless," there is still the possibility of water getting between the laminate and the wood of the countertop, which could cause the laminate to bubble. The rep from my local place told me there's a warranty on the sink itself, but she pretty much avoided the question of water getting into the laminate (stating there's a 1-year warranty), which is making me re-think the longevity issue of doing an undermount with laminate.

Also, the only negative I can think of with getting an undermount sink with other countertop materials is that it can get very germy between the sink and the countertop (in that little "nook" that's created under the counter inside the sink). It doesn't get cleaned as often because you can't see it! I'd still choose an undermount though and just be diligent about cleaning that space. (That's actually an advantage that the laminate undermount has-- there's virtually no "seam" so there is no place for those grimy germs to collect.)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Kmgard...the "nook" you're talking about is only present if you have a "negative reveal". There are 3 different "reveals" for an undermount sink:

• Positive Reveal. The sink shows; granite cutout is slightly larger than sink

• Negative Reveal. The granite overhangs the sink; granite cutout is slightly smaller than the sink

• Zero Reveal or Flush. Sink & granite are flush or even; the granite cutout & sink are the same size

Check out the thread linked below. More details about undermount sinks are listed at the bottom of the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I never understood the hoopa over undermounted sinks and was pretty sure I would stay with a drop in. Then I realized I wanted a bit more of a modern feel and decided to go for it. I have got to tell you that my undermount sink and faucet are WONDERFUL....I absolutely LOVE them and am so glad I haunt this place so much....otherwise I never would have done it. By the way, my counter is done in a corain-like solid surface (LG HI MAC Volcanics), which I also love.....So smooth and clean!!

I will caution you that imo, you should go with a positive or neutral reveal. Otherwise, you do end up with that toilet bowl rim syndrome, as I call it. My positive reveal looks great and there is not a big silicone line or anything showing.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

There is a number of ways to put an undermount into a laminate top - it can even be done with a postform rather than custom top. Counter-seal is the primary product but a number of fabricators have adpated the process using a slab of solid surface material. Cost is around $700. With only a 33 inch sink base we couldn't find an undermount double with the same size bowls that would work. I would have compromised on the sink to get the undermount but someone saw it differently so we are doing a deckless drop in instead. It saved some $ so it wasn't all bad. I just e-mailed counter-seal to get a list of fabricators in my area, they were very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to counter-seal

• graniteguy
    14 years ago

undermount sinks provide very clean lines, from a visual perspective, allow an uninterupted line of sight that can really enhance graining and other charateristics of a granite or marble counter. The trade off is once you have created the specific cut out in the counter for an undermount sink that is the only make and model that will work with that cut out. Every undermount sink manufacturer offers a "dxf" file which allows a fabricator to make a cutout to the exact shape of that one sink only. Of course existing cutout can be modified, but this often involves de-installing the sink run to take the piece back to the shop for modification. This will be expensive and can be risky. If that piece breaks you won't just be re-making the run, you will be remaking the entire installation to maintain a consistant color and graining. Top mount sink have almost a universal cutout so the can be easily replaced if they become damaged or just to "freshen up" the look of an older installation.

• Patsy
    13 years ago

HELP!!!! My granite installers misunderstood my preference and thought I bought a drop in sink, when in fact I bought an undermount.....granite is installed with backsplash? Can they stil do the undermount? Or do I need to go buy another sink? any advice out there?