Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerlymotherof3sons

Cabinetmaker Gone! Finally Time to Talk BS!

motherof3sons
11 years ago

Finally! We can talk backsplash. I checked and the cabinetmaker's truck, trailer and tools are gone! Five months past the due date, but hey - what's a few months living in a house with a partial kitchen and no cabinets in the master bath?

The cabinets are a blend of stained cherry and paint, counters are walnut and Kashmir Creme. While searching for the granite, I found this Glazzio (formerly Mirage) mosaic in the Flower series. It immediately caught my eye and I have had it for months - just waiting.

My first thought was to do the entire backsplash in the mosaic. Perhaps this is a bit overkill as it is a pretty bold pattern. Though I must say many GWer's have a fantastic BS with bold color and pattern that make me swoon. Thought number #2 is to be safe and pair it with a nice "subway" tile. And, I must admit I have always loved subway tile - long before it came in style - again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated from the many talented GW members! Thanks so much in advance.

[IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/msnichols1978/Kitchen/IMG_2450.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (50)

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Just lovely! I'll have to think on the backsplash, which will be gorgeous, but your kitchen is beautiful!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

What beautiful cabinets! Love the mixture of walnut and cream. Just gorgeous!

Love the tile that you've picked out!! It will look perfect in your space. I don't think it will be too busy at all. If you look at the picture of the tile in the distance, you can see how soft and subtle it is. If I were you, I'd use the one on the right for the entire BS and use the one on the left (with the darker accents) as a focal point over the cooktop. I think that would look amazing. You've had that tile for months and obviously love it. Don't get scared and play it safe now. It will be GORGEOUS!!! Really looking forward to seeing your finished pics. I think your kitchen is going to be really special.

• msrose
    11 years ago

I think it's absolutely perfect for your kitchen!

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what to recommend on the tile. I'm a subtle type girl, so I would go subtle... especially with a granite w/ any movement. With that said, both of those tile choices look like they match well.

I wanted to say that the details in your cabinetry are unique, interesting and beautiful. I love what I can see. I am eager to see other views of your space (please?!) :)

• Susan
    11 years ago

it's beautiful! and i love the backsplash, i'd use the subway tile with it on the bigger spaces.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous! I love the wood accents in the uppers and the beautiful trim. Your counters do look a lot like mine; Kashmir Creme could be the same as Kashmir Gold. I really, really like the tile, both of them. I like the one with the darker center dot best I think UNLESS the dot doesn't match your cabinet color. If it's darker, as it kind of appears, I think it might be too much and I would like the other one better.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Beautiful cabinets!!!

I like the idea of the all-over mosaic and really like, and much prefer, the mosaic with the dark centers. But am afraid it might detract from or fight with the dark accents on the upper cabinets. Maybe Poohpup has a great idea to use the subtler one on the whole wall and the dark-centered one in a feature behind the stove. --Or maybe the pattern will be small enough so it won't compete. You can tell, I'm torn, because I really love the dark centers and white petals, and how the centers go with the specks in the granite. It's also more interesting close up.

How would you propose to use subways with it?

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

My daughter and I were drooling over that exact tile in the tile store the other day -- I LOVE it! And I think I'd want to do the whole bs with it. The one on the right especially resonates. From a distance, it reads more as texture, while the one on the left reads more as pattern, if that makes any sense. Your kitchen looks beautiful. Can't wait for a full reveal!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I'm with Poohpup. Up close you can clearly see the dark spots in the granite and the dark accents in the left mosaic are very similar. But from farther away the mosaic spots look much darker, and the lighter mosaic reads more like the granite does.

That tile is lovely!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Gosh, they are both beautiful! I am a sucker for subway tile so I think your idea to use the one on the right with the subway would be great, however, I also love how the one on the left really compliments the tones in your cabinetry! Hard decision. Sorry I am not much help.

I would love to see how you would use the subway with the lighter one. Maybe get some sample tiles and post another picture for us!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Nice uppers! I love the combination of paint and stained. Well done.

Both tile samples are awesome and agreed that either would look great in your kitchen. Very neat!

• function_first
    11 years ago

Beautiful cabinets. Really stunning. I love the tile you've chosen and really love the dark centered one, it almost seems to pay homage to your mix of dark and light in the cabinets.

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

This is so beautiful!! I like both tiles too, but if I had to choose, it'd be the one with the lighter accent.

• localeater
    11 years ago

I really love your kitchen. I think the wood accents on the creamy cabinets look phenomenal. I think the light centered tile would look great as the whole backsplash. I think the dark centers make the mosaic too busy. From a distance all I see is dark polkadots and my eye pings around. You don't need the dark centers to tie the kitchen together or to reference the dark wood, or the dark spots in the granite. It is perfect- you've already nailed it.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

What you've done so far is absolutely beautiful. I feel very strongly that you should do the mosaic on the right for the entire backsplash. You don't need a focal point above the cooktop, as you already have plenty of focal points in your kitchen. The mosaic on the right will harmoniously bring it all together without being boring. Nice job on your kitchen!!!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

What a beautiful and fun kitchen! Love your tile. I'm tempted to love the darker one best but think they are both beautiful.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Go for the swoon! It's not too much for the amount of space you need to tile. On its own, I prefer the one with the dark dots, but maybe the lighter colored one will look better with your granite. Either one will be beautiful.

• smiling
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is already so beautiful, and both these options are gorgeous with your cabs and granite. I prefer the softer blended look of the tile on the right, it is so lovely with the granite and makes a smooth transiton from the painted uppers to the stained lowers.

The left sample is more assertive, demands your attention, but seems to need one more element to tie the uppers and lowers. Have you considered using a narrow pencil tile (if using the left tile) to establish another horizontal in the brown color. That might give you a nice tie with the uppers and lowers.

I also like Poohpup's idea.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is unique and stunning, the mix of the warm cream and cherry is so beautiful! I think the darker dots in the first tile match perfectly. However I would not want this tile with the darker dots everywhere, as Rhome said it would take away from the dark cherry accents on the cream cabinets.
    Use the cream subways everywhere with the first darker dot option as the accent behind the stove. Good luck!

• home4all6
    11 years ago

I love those samples! I have to say, the light one would be best--it almost reads as a neutral from a distance. I don't think it would be too much at all! The dark circles on the other sample do jump right out at you when you see it. It's a pretty pattern, but defintily makes more of a statement, while the lighter one just reads as a neural and lovely pattern.
    Now I need to check out that tile...it might be making an appearance in MY kitchen one day :) (I have that circle/diamond/flower pattern in my original leaded glass in my transom above my front door and I'd like to tie in with it somewhere else in our home...hmmmm....

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Wow, your cabinetry is drop-dead gorgeous! As for the tile, I find the brown dots distracting, but LOVE the light flower mosaic. I mean really, really love it.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Like all the others have said both mosaics are beautiful. When I saw the close up picture, I immediately thought the dark one was it but from a distance it does look a bit polka dotty. The light one gives a subtle pattern and more of a textural vibe. Either one will look fantastic in your kitchen. Looks like it was worth the wait for those gorgeous cabinets.

• labbie
    11 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, and the first thought I had when I saw the distant photo of both tile choices is that the one on the right adds subtle interest and ties everything together. I love the darker one as well, but my eye goes right to the darker center.

The star of your kitchen is your cabinetry and I think the subtler tile will add interest without distracting.

• jejvtr
    11 years ago

Mother of 3

What a great feeling having the contractors gone, a working kitchen, and a beautiful end result ! Lovely

I'll echo what many have already stated - You have such lovely elements in the kitchen, the tile/s both work... I am having difficulty seeing them in the expanse of the entire bs - I would suggest requesting on a separate thread having someone photoshop them in the space

I think the idea of use of subway and one of your choices above would work better in your setting - it would be quieter and let the stars of the kitchen be... I feel that if you just use either of the above it may risk having the bs as a statement where the eye is drawn just there rather than the expanse of the rest of the beautiful elements

good luck - these choices are hard work!

• User
    11 years ago

Motherof3 you have a beautiful and unique kitchen! I really like the tile with the dark dots as it does not look like flowers but appears as a geometric pattern and it fits the feel of your kitchen. It would be nice to have it photohopped to see if it is too much over a large space. I could not imagine subway tile in your kitchen, way too bland and does not match the feel of what you have.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this, because I'm the "cream subway" person ... but the one on the left.

The countertop is very subdued, the cabinets have just a simple pinstripe of color, and having a full wall of the tiles on the left would look good.

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for reading and posting comments. As many recommended, I am going to do a mockup with paper. There is also a listello I plan to get a sample of to mock up. Decisions, decisions!

Again, thank you for reading and posting!

• drewem
    11 years ago

When I first saw the picture, my gut reaction was to go with the one on the left. The dots tie in perfectly with your cabinets! It is a beautiful pattern also. Where did you find that lovely tile?

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous! and that tile is fantastic.
    I can't picture pairing them with a subway as the shape is so completely different. My first thought was the darker accent to go along with your dark accents on the uppers, but I agree it might be a bit too much all over (and I love bold backsplashes!) I'm pretty sure the optimal solution is impossible and that'd be doing the one on the right but getting the dark circles and randomly replacing some ;)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

What a beautiful tile design! I prefer the monochromatic tile sample on the right. Your bottom cabinets are exquisite and the wood (or is it red?) trim around the windows, etc. on upper cabs are very eye catching. To my eye, the BS sample on the left, with the dark dots, might make it all too busy.

Your gorgeous counter top gives the eye a place to rest. A mono-color back splash will quietly call one's attention without competing with the TDF bottom cabs and the darker accents on the upper cabs. JMHO :-)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

the one with the darker dots is really nice. BUT, I think it would look like all dots when you look at it.

The one on the right is gorgeous too. I think it would look really nice everywhere. Your kitchen is really so beautiful. I wouldn't do the subways, be brave, do this tile.

Bee

• meganmca
    11 years ago

For me, the one on the left brings in the top (dentil?) molding & the cab handles really nicely in the "distance" shot. Only you know if it'd be too busy for you--if that were my kitchen, I know I'd like it!

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Drewem - the tile is from the Glazzio 'Flower' collection. I found it at a stone and tile shop in Peoria, Illinois.

Cavimum - the lighting is poor and makes the wood appear red. The dentil moulding, trim in glass doors, light rail and lower cabinets are cherry. We chose 'antique cherry' as the stain from Woodrights.

As so many have posted, the tile sample on the left with the emprador dark 'dots' is eye catching and matches the counter and cherry in the cabs. It seems to marry evrything. However, after reading the posts and looking at the more subtle sample it too marries all the components. And the latter lets the stone and cabinetry take center stage.

I better get the printer working to make my mockups.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Your kitchen cabinets are stunning! I really like both tile samples. I am torn between the two. From a distance I agree the dark "dots" seem to really pull things together, but the right one also looks great. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Say Motherof3: what are your knobs on the upper cabs? I may be stealing some of your ideas, lol. I really like your uppers... how did you come upon the idea for the stained vs. paint sections, if you don't mind me asking?

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I like the on eon the left. I especially like how it ties to your wood stained moldings.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Love your cabinets - just gorgeous. When I first looked, I loved the one on the left. then thought about the merits of a lower key look, on the right. I would LOVE to see some of that emperador dark worked in since you say it matches so nicely. Would you do an accent panel using the one on the left, then a larger format in the lighter stone as the field tile? If the lighter stone is crema marfil - that will add subtle variation and I think would look great. Good luck and enjoy.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I keep looking at your cabs and am now voting for the one on the right. Hope you can answer the questions that I asked you a few posts up.

I'm really hearting your uppers, luv!

• deedles
    11 years ago

I keep looking at your cabs and am now voting for the one on the right. Hope you can answer the questions that I asked you a few posts up.

I'm really hearting your uppers!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, I just love it all, the cabinets, the attention to detail, etc. Definitely do one of these tiles over the subways, the are gorgeous and the perfect cherry on top to an already stunning room.

On first instinct I am drawn to the one on the left, but agree that maybe it will be too much when it is all said and done. I would love to see the mockups when you complete them. I don't think there is enough to make a decision with the little samples.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, I just love it all, the cabinets, the attention to detail, etc. Definitely do one of these tiles over the subways, the are gorgeous and the perfect cherry on top to an already stunning room.

On first instinct I am drawn to the one on the left, but agree that maybe it will be too much when it is all said and done. I would love to see the mockups when you complete them. I don't think there is enough to make a decision with the little samples.

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for reading and posting. I am truly humbled by the many compliments.

@Deedles - the upper cabinets knobs and all drawers pulls are from the Top Knobs Tuscany collection. We also selected the TK Celtic knot knob for the lower doors, but it did not come in oil-rubbed bronze. So the hunt began for an alternate. I found the other knobs at Lowes and they are every bit as good as the Top Knobs.

I chose to do the painted uppers and stained lowers based on a Woman's Day Kitchen & Bath magazine cover from 2010. I fell in love with the kitchen the moment I laid eyes on it. The uppers in the magazine did not have any stain on the uppers, but I knew I wanted to add cherry. Last year Alabamamommy posted her kitchen and she had the stain trim around the glass. It is a beautiful kitchen with painted cabinets.

And, if you use any of the details from my kitchen it is truly a compliment.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Those cabs are absolutely stunning! Zowie.
    I agree on the lighter tiles - Initially, I liked the dark centers, but think it will look like bulls eyes!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Was it this one that got you started?

• motherof3sons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles - It is the one and the same! The cover on my copy is rather tattered and many of the pages loose.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

You definitely one-upped that inspiration kitchen, which is lovely but does not compare to yours! The cherry on the uppers looks so sharp and elegant and was a great call!!!! The color on the bases is so rich and wonderful.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen! I love both of the tile samples. I think I would prefer the one of the right. So, as not to compete. HOwever, I know it is always better to see these things in real life. Either one is a winner in my opinion.

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

I agree that full backsplash all over with the dark dots might overwhelm things. However, someone posted a finished kitchen a while back - it was a OTK but they used a marble daisy tile for the backsplash. She used it in a 4-5" band everywhere but the stove wall - where she took it full wall. I think that might work beautifully with the dark dot. Especially since your sink window would be the perfect cutoff point for the strip.

Maybe someone will know whose kitchen this is?

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Sorry I can't answer you tile question as I can't stop looking at your cabinets. You have great vision to see your inspiration photo and turn it into something even more beautiful.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

kathyNY76 - if it helps OP - that is Mpagmom's kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: mpagmom's kitchen reveal