Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labellaluna

Do you like your big kitchen sink?

labellaluna
14 years ago

We are considering an Elkay Undermount 28"x15.75"x10" (internal dimensions) which requires a 36" base cabinet. I really like that the drain is in the right hand corner and I can't find another one like it in a smaller size. When I mapped it out in our current kitchen it seems oddly large. Our current sink fits into a 24" base and seems pretty generous already. I know that the big single bowl sinks are very popular right now but I'm wondering if it will be too big for our 14' x 9' galley style kitchen.

Do you like your big sink? How does it look?

Comments (15)

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

We LOVE our big 36" sink! Having the drain in the rear corner frees up one entire side for a pullout "drawer" yet leaves enough room for a garbage disposal, 2 dishwasher hookups, a pullout faucet, and hot water dispenser.

• User
    14 years ago

I have a 36" sink in a 39" sink base. I love the sink, it's big enough to do anything. Once the entire kitchen is put together and you start working in it, you won't consider the sink too big. A kitchen is more than the sum of it's individual parts.

• downtowner
    14 years ago

I love my 30" kindred.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Labellaluna - my single bowl SS sink is a similar size of 27" x 17" x 9" (custom). I love it! One of the best decisions I made in my kitchen. I can't imagine going smaller. I too have the offset drain in the rear-right corner. Love that too. As Gizmonike demonstrated, that drain position gives you tons of room under the sink (vs. having your drainage plumbing smack dab in the middle of your cabinet). And also, I use everyday the advantage of being able to fill my sink with dishes, roasting pan, etc. and still have the drain uncovered due to its location.

So, what faucet are you thinking about to go with the sink? I have a Grohe Ladylux Plus which I like especially because of its reach into the sink. The water hits where I want it, and I don't have to reach too far for it. I really like Gizmonike's faucet shown above--don't know what it is, but it's sharp!

• melinrk
    14 years ago

I have the Kohler 36 1/2 D-shaped sink and it's fantastic. I can pile dishes on one side and have PLENTY of room to wash dishes and pots and corning ware on the other. Since I have a new Miele DW that was DOA - this is really great.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

Gizmonike, I love your sink, that looks huge and great.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Our sink is 30" wide (36" sink cab) and we love it! I found out later, that Julien also makes a 33" wide sink (with the other dimensions the same as ours), and our 36" sink base cab could've been notched to fit the 33". At that point I think we'd have been splitting hairs (and which trade-off would be a better one; slightly wider sink with a few less inches of counterspace, or vice-versa?). Either way we'd be happy, and I know we're happy with ours.

• timber.j
    14 years ago

I have a 30" wide Kindred sink, and it is one of the things I like best about my new kitchen!

• labellaluna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your feedback everyone. I hadn't given much thought to the storage possibilities in the base cabinet with a rear corner drain--that's a wonderful benefit of going that route.

akchicago--oh yes, the faucet. I have spent a fair amount of time doing my research here on that topic. I am strongly opposed to a sink/faucet combo that creates a lot of splash which seems to be related to depth of sink and height of faucet spout. Toss in the faucet reach for practicality. Oh and choose pull out, pull down, or side spray?!? I have been thinking about the Ladylux Pro but the reach is 2" shorter than your Ladylux Plus--do you think the additional 2" reach of yours is a significant advantage with a big deep sink? Also, do you get splash with your higher spout?

• gobruno
    14 years ago

I just posted a thread requesting pictures of large sinks and got some really good examples. We're talking really large sinks 39"+. I agree with some posters who say you can never have a sink that is too big. We're going to go for a 40" sink. We're tired of having to do gymnastics with our pots/pans, cutting boards, dishes when washing them and just want to have lots of space. Good luck!

• labellaluna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

akchicago and gizmonike--an OCD question about your corner drain sink/faucet combos...I'm wondering if your faucets swivel so that the stream falls straight down into your drain or if the stream always hits the sink floor. Is the stream hitting the sink floor the cause of excessive splashing? If I should be looking for a faucet whose stream can fall directly into the drain, I can figure out some specifications to apply. (I'm laughing at myself right now--I'll be so gtrateful when I place my kitchen orders and move on to the many other things that make life so wonderful!)

• westsider40
    14 years ago

bump

• westchestermom
    14 years ago

We are also getting an Elkay, same dimensions, but with the drain in the center. We chose it because we were replacing a similar size sink and I guess that's what we are used to. I can't imagine going to a smaller sink. You want your biggest pan to fit in, your cookie sheets etc. I am a big proponent of the single sink. I don't really get the point of the double, especially when it's teeny tiny. What are you washing in there? Espresso cups?

• festusbodine
    14 years ago

We're putting in a 30" single basin in our new kitchen. However, that's only because we're also putting in a prep sink. If we weren't getting a 2nd sink, I would not want my only sink to be a single basin. Too difficult to multitask with that setup, unless you're someone who doesn't mind washing produce in the same section where scuzzy dishes have just been dumped.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our bungalow and kitchen remodel blog

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I don't have an Elkay but I LOVE MY giant bowl sink.
    Oliveri Undermount. 30L, 18W and 10 deep. (This is deeper
    with my thick granite counters being almost 11.5 inches
    deep) Brushed stainless steel and insulated for quietness

Love sinking my arms into my sink full of bubbles. The only
    problem is that with my DW I no longer need to pre-rinse
    dishes. I put them filled with food/dirt. So I am missing
    out on the warm bubble bath for my arms. I need something
    to bathe in this wonderful sink.

~boxerpups

Here is a link that might be useful: Single or Double?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH