Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mthousing

Help with Kitchen Layout

mthousing
9 years ago

I'm new here, but would appreciate help with kitchen layout. Attached is a photo of our proposed kitchen layout to our new home. We cannot move the sink at the back window (and the 2 dishwashers will likely stay put), but otherwise things are negotiable. We are either going to do a rangetop and double oven or a range and a single oven. Is there any way we can move the oven(s) closer to the range/rangetop? I didn't want a whole wall of appliances (e.g. refrigerator, range, and oven). Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (12)

• ssdarb
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a cooktop and a double oven. I actually like that my ovens are not very near my cooktop; they are on an adjacent wall.

The cooktop area is very very active, with all the prepping, adding, stirring, checking, taking things off to drain, etc. The ovens are a bit off-line, not near all the action, quietly doing their job.

Functionally this works perfectly for our very busy kitchen. This is why I did not get a range. I didn't want the oven anywhere near my cooktop and fortunately I had the space to make that work.

I'm not a kitchen designer or expert, just a busy home-cooking Mom. Looking at your layout, I think it's great that the proposed double oven place is not near the cooktop.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert at this either but if you move them closer to the stove you're going to lose valuable counter-top real estate for food prep and such. The only thing I can think of to negate the "wall of appliances" look you're concerned about would be to have one oven in your range and just a single oven in the current placement. Sorry I'm not more help.

I think this looks like a good, workable kitchen plan as is.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

What is the reason for having two dishwashers?

• practigal
    9 years ago

This plan looks good overall it's really more a question of what you like and how you will use the space.
    I see a doorway at the bottom next to the room labeled pantry I'm not quite clear on how you get from the kitchen to the pantry but you may want to consider having direct access from kitchen to pantry.
    Similarly if you were in the kitchen cooking and someone came in and wanted to get some food out of the refrigerator would they be able to do that without walking through your prep area?
    I see the two dishwashers but I don't see many cabinets to put the dishes into.
    It looks like you have two prep areas one between the sink and the stove top and the other on the island, where will you locate trash cans for each? Might you want to move one of the dishwashers (the one to the left of the sink that may interfere with your use of the prep area between the sink and the stove) to the island?
    The three chairs appear to back onto another room. If you were in that room and looking into the kitchen would you be happy looking at the side of the oven, stove top and hood and refrigerator?
    I personally like a light and bright kitchen and it appears that you have only one window over the kitchen sink if that is the only exterior light source you may want to consider enlarging it.
    I like the double oven off to the side like that.

• HouseRemod
    9 years ago

"What is the reason for having two dishwashers?"

That's actually my dream. It's the perfect solution. You never need to unload a dishwasher. One is just clean and the other dirty. When the dirty one is full, you just wash it and swap them.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I've had that thought too, but then I think it'd be hard to find things since the items don't get put in identical places every time you load the dishwasher. In the cupboard, everything is always in the same place.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

"... You never need to unload a dishwasher...."

So, you never plan to put dishes away? Your dish storage is planned for the DWs? What happens when only some dishes are dirty and you have 1-1/2 DWs full of clean dishes? Will you stack the dirty dishes in the sink until you completely empty one DW and then wash them? If so, that's short-sighted. You are going to find that it won't work for all dishes all the time - unless, maybe, you're all alone and use a lot of paper or plastic to make up for lack of dish storage space. Pots & Pans alone take up a lot of space in a DW.

I suspect you're either being facetious or you don't really mean all dishes will be stored in the DW - so I'll assume you do plan to have dish storage somewhere.

Do you plan for any upper cabinets? The cooktop wall would be fine for that as long as someone setting the table doesn't have to go through the main work area b/w the island and cooktop counter run. Also, keep in mind that people tend to take the shortest distance b/w two points - even it it means getting in someone's way. So, if the DR or other table space is "below" the kitchen, they will most likely try to go through the kitchen work area.

Where is your Dining Room and/or Nook? Where is your Family Room and/or Living Room?

How do you get into the Pantry? It's best to have a door in the kitchen that leads to the pantry.

Where is the "family entrance" into the house? (It's usually the garage entrance, if you have a garage.) You will probably be bringing groceries in from that door - so how far do you have to lug grocery bags to the pantry and refrigerator?

It looks like your island is 54" deep - that's a nice depth. Is it's configuration as follows?
    1.5" counter overhang + 24" deep base cabinets + 12" deep base cabinets + 1" doors + 15.5" seating overhang

That's a useful configuration and has the minimum recommended seating overhang (15" of clear knee/leg space - i.e., no obstructions like cabinets, doors, etc.) 12" deep cabs are useful for just about all storage needs - food, small appliances, etc. It's also much easier to access things in a 12" deep cabinet under a seating overhang than it is for a deeper cabinet.

I would probably move the prep sink to the other end of the island w/an 18" trash pullout b/w the edge and the sink. It puts the prep sink closer to the cooktop for draining pasta, etc. and it moves the sink away from the person sitting on the end. It also then locates the trash pullout so that it's in the Prep Zone, next to the prep sink, near the Cooking Zone, and even near the Cleanup Zone (far more trash & recyclables are generated while prepping and cooking than cleaning up, so if you only have one trash pullout, put it it in the Prep Zone.)

The panels surrounding what appears to be a counter-depth refrigerator will need to be shallower. In order to fully open, the doors of the refrigerator will need to stick out past end panels and any adjacent items (walls, counters, cabinets, etc.).

How deep is that wall on the left side of the refrigerator? What do you plan for the counterspace there? It's out of the way and not very useful - unless you have specific plans for it... How about a snack center with your MW? How much room is in that space? (Your measurements don't help that much b/c they include walls. The best measurements are those that are for the actual space in the kitchen. Plus, most of the useful ones are missing.)

You don't show it - do you have a vent hood over the cooktop? One that's 6" wider than the cooktop and 24" deep is recommended.

Last, we don't know that much about you & your family and how you plan to use your kitchen and adjacent space. Have you had a chance to read the Layout Help FAQ? I've linked to it below. I recommend reading it and giving us more information (as well as explain why the sink cannot be moved - are you on a slab?)

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ: How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

• huango
    9 years ago

I love my 2 DWs flanking my only/main sink.
    I use 1 as my daily DW and the other as my drying rack, so that the countertop is cleared.
    When I have parties or fall behind, I load both up --> happy!!!

I love having a cooktop, because I use the cooktop, while DH uses the oven. This way, he's doing his thing in HIS AREA, w/out waiting for me to move aside, or me cooking over a hot oven.
    My oven and cooktop are on opposite sides of the kitchen.

Suggestions:
    - is your fridge counter-depth or standard?
    Whatever it is, I would pull that whole range-top wall of countertop to be the same depth as the fridge so the fridge doesn't stick out, and you get deeper countertop.

- could you widen your sink/only window?

I love my wall of windows:
    5 across ~20feet wall.
    forgive the cellphone pix quality
    {{gwi:1658867}}

Amanda

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

The two dishwashers are not the problem (and probably a great idea) but I see the issue about the ovens. When I was designing my 'farmhouse kitchen' I had the same trouble!

Here's what I had planned...with more windows over sink and a pantry by the fridge. The wall oven is on the 'back' wall with a little baking area and easy access to the island. You lose one stool...but you gain the oven and a better view into the nearby living area, from the main sink :) {{gwi:1968290}}From Kitchen plans

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Looking at Lavender's plan, you could also swap the locations of the fridge and the double ovens and recess the fridge into the pantry. That puts the double ovens exactly where you want them.

More information about the configuration of the pantry and what is beyond that walkway would be helpful. If that just leads to the pantry, then sure. If it's a high-traffic walkway leading all over creation, you wouldn't want your ovens opening up into it. Or your fridge, for that matter. It'd be better then to keep the ovens where Lavender put them and move the fridge to the right of the sink, provided it wouldn't be blocking an important walkway there.

You know, I've only been doing layouts on gardenweb for about two weeks now, but about 80% of the threads I've visited start with a post of just the kitchen plan, then after 12,000 questions about what is on the other side of whatever wall or where whatever doorway leads, the person ends up posting the floor plan for that entire floor of the house. Seems to me the layout-FAQ-how-to-ask-for-help-post thing should just ask for the entire floor's floor plan from the get-go.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

"...Seems to me the layout-FAQ-how-to-ask-for-help-post thing should just ask for the entire floor's floor plan from the get-go...."

It does. "It also would be helpful to see the connecting rooms, even entire first floor layouts (or whatever floor your kitchen is on), so we see how they interact with the kitchen and/or extend the kitchen feel and flow."

Part of the problem is that people don't read the FAQ....which is also partly b/c it's not "advertised" correctly/effectively. But even when they're pointed to it, many ignore it. It is frustrating.

The FAQ should have a prominent link at the top and if it would be nice if we could have a better "sticky" at the top - but none of us has control over either.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I meant it's not listed as the primary necessity. It's written more as a an option that most people don't opt for. I feel like the language about how important it is to see the kitchen in context isn't strong enough. Even the sample picture shows just one room rather than a whole floor.

I'm picturing:

1) Post a floor plan of the entire floor of your house that includes the kitchen. (Do not post just a picture of your kitchen plan.) The floor plan should include the measurements of everything on the floor plan (walls, doors, windows, cabinets, etc.) and preferably be on graph paper with a 1 square = 1 sq. foot or 1 square = 6 sq. inches.

2) State whom your family includes, details about how you and other family members use the kitchen, and your wish list for what your kitchen should have and be like. The more details, the better.

3) Show on the plan what absolutely cannot be moved (load-bearing walls, sink plumbing, etc.).

4) Optional: post photos of your space from all angles (in addition to the floor plan). It makes it easier to understand the space and shows things that the floor plan doesn't.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths