Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
favabeans5

fire & ice backsplash

favabeans5
15 years ago

anybody out there shopped around for this tile? What/where did you get the best price? I've seen anywhere from $19 to $14/sq ft on here but not always where they got the prices from?

hope this isn't against any sort of forum rules..

thanks

Comments (34)

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm paying close to $19 a square foot, and must admit I feel like a bit of a sucker for it. I live in MD, and had to get it through a large tile showroom/distributor in our area. An installer with a discount at the store would have been able to get a 10 percent discount. I probably should have waited until I had an installer, and let him get the tile, as he could have pocketed the discount as part of his compensation.

I didn't shop around because the salesman at the tile store was very helpful to me, and ordered me a couple of sample tiles at no charge weeks ago so I could shop for granite. I was kind of disappointed he wouldn't budge on the price, though.

• chikat
    15 years ago

I am looking it at it as well and live in the Chicago area. There are only two tile places listed on Jeffrey Court's website for Chicago. The one I went to charges $18 sq ft and I am waiting to hear back from the other.

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

I am paying $13 a sq foot, but $125 in shipping from Calif. to NY...

Ugh...

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

neverdunn.. where are you getting it from? whats the name of the store?

that would still be a better deal for me..

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

We ordered directly from Jeffrey Court which is about 50 miles from us. It was about $16/sf and then another $100 for them to truck it to us. That makes $125 from CA to NY look like a bargain! :-)

Jodi-

• stei7141
    15 years ago

morton5--where are you getting your fire & ice? We live in Montgomery County. Thanks.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I am getting it from Architectural Ceramics in Rockville-- they have a really wonderful showroom, and they were so helpful to me that I thought I should reward the local bricks and mortar. Neverdunn's price of $13 per square foot is making me regret my generosity, though. I'm paying $18.80 a square foot, but if your contractor has an account there he can get a discount.

Anybody know if it is still backordered until Oct. 31? Also, what color grout do you plan to use?

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Fancy Fixtures in Woodbury, NY.

I was told a backorder date of 10/18 - not that makes much difference...

They have gorgeous stuff there.

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chikat.. i am in chicago as well.. i went to the one place downtown but they didnt have any samples in the store..

which place quoted you what? and do they charge any for shipping? or anything?

so what is your total cost per sq ft including tax and any other charges?

• chikat
    15 years ago

Favabeans5: I went to MidAmerica tile in Elk Grove Village (they also have a showroom at the Merchandise Mart) and they had a sample board there but would only let me take a small board home so instead I ordered 1 sq ft. It cost $18.08 and a $7 'packing charge'. I also called Carpet One on Lincoln Ave in Chicago, they left me a message back that they didn't have a sample and they didn't leave a price. I am calling tomorrow so will let you know.

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks chikat.. 18.08 isnt bad if there are no other charges.. i got a quote of $15.95/sqft plus $195 shipping.. from a place in ohio..

• gozalyn
    15 years ago

I posted in one of the other fire & ice threads - I paid $13.65/sq ft with no shipping costs from Coliseum Stone & Tile in Oakland, CA. I called all the stores in the Bay Area and they were the cheapest.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Architectural Ceramics told me that Fire and Ice is shipping again. I may have it late next week. Very happy, as that keeps me on track for having everything finished by the first or second week of November.

• chikat
    15 years ago

Favabeans5: Just heard back from Lee at Carpet One on Lincoln. He quoted me $16.49 sq ft!!!

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

coliseum stone and tile quoted me $13.65 with $67 shipping and tax etc comes out to $16.57/SQ FT

• dglmichelle
    15 years ago

Favabeans5 - What company in Ohio? I live in the Cleveland area...

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

link below.. very very helpful and responsive to requests/questions etc.. their shipping cost is just to high vs. other options..

Here is a link that might be useful: ohio tile place

• chikat
    15 years ago

I ordered one square foot on 9/29 and just picked it up yesterday! So it looks like the backorder is over. As for some comments regarding green tones. I did notice that in the small samples in the showrooms the quartz bricks did seem green, but when I got my square foot it does appear more random with the greyish and gold tones coming through.

• morton5
    15 years ago

My 80 square foot order of fire & ice has arrived at my dealer. Yeah!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

So, Morton5, how does it look?

Jodi-

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Did anybody have a problem with their Fire & Ice coming in BROKEN? The shipping cartons they use is awful - just flat white cardboard boxes. So get this:

1) Shipment number one arrives. 50 sheets. Of the 50, 15 are BROKEN. They order 15 additional sheets.
    2) Shipment number two arrives. 15 sheets. Of the 15, 7 are broken!!

So... they are going to order more. In each instance, either the long piece of slate/quartzite is simply fractured down the middle, or a piece of glass is chipped.

I don't blame the dealer, but I do blame the manufacturer/distributor for using such sub-par packing.
    Grrrrr!

• jotwntee2
    15 years ago

i bought the fire & ice backsplash and it doesnt go with my kitchen!! i decided to sell it. I live in Los Angeles. i have 35 sf. selling it for 420! i bought this for 15 sf and selling it for only 12! If anyone is interesed please let me know. my email is jbhongjan@gmail.com.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Jodi, it's been crazy here and I haven't picked it up yet. It will be installed starting Nov. 3. I better get myself over to Architectural Ceramics, though, to make sure it's not broken! I'll post pix once the BS is installed.

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yipppeee.. getting my fire and ice tomorrow.. ups.. hope it looks good.. and isn't all broken up in pieces.

any good tips for the DIY install? I read a bit about the mesh showing through on some of the glass pieces? is that really an issue? what color grout did everybody use? any enhancers or just sealers?

• favabeans5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tile showed up today.. opened two boxes.. look good.. shipped in large boxes heavily wrapped in bubble wrapped and surrounded by peanuts.. any answers to my question above?

only $67 for shipping from Cali to Illinois. $13 something/sq ft

thanks

• morton5
    15 years ago

Favabeans, I plan to use almond grout. I will certainly seal, and may enhance-- will wet it after install to decide.

• icenet
    15 years ago

Can someone post a pix of what fire and ice tile looks like?

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Jeffrey Court Pietra Opus Quartz Brick Fire and Ice.

Jodi-

• morton5
    15 years ago

Ah, the original, the breathtaking kitchen that started it all . . .

Picked up my F&I today and am happy to report that despite flimsy packaging only 2 tiles out of 79 sq. ft. were chipped or cracked. We will probably be able to use the broken tiles. Neverdunn, almost makes me wonder if yours fell off the forklift, but how could that happen twice?

I discovered tonight that it is fairly easy to peel off one layer of the double mesh backing. I think that will make the mesh less noticeable upon install. I mentioned to my tile guy that some people cut out the mesh and he looked at me like I was nuts. Hopefully it will still install well with single mesh.

Between $18 bucks a sq. ft., install supplies, and paying the installer, this tile is turning into one of the most expensive elements of my kitchen-- a definite splurge. I don't think I'll regret it, though! Install is early next week.

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Still waiting for my 2nd order to be sent. It was strange. The first order came on a skid, in flimsy white boxes. The 2nd order was FedExed, and the boxes were sent *inside* other boxes. It ws pretty irritating, but I am expecting #2 to come in tomorrow.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I finally got the name and color of the grout used with our Fire & Ice: Custom Building Products, color: Quartz

Jodi-

• dredre
    14 years ago

Favabean-This is great, i had no idea what to do for our backsplash. I can across this website and I have to have the fire and ice backsplash. I am to from IL, where did you say you got the tile from?

• kks_kitchen
    13 years ago

I see nobody has posted on this thread since 2009 but I love this tile and happened upon these pics. I am wondering how expensive this would be for my kitchen. 42 sf of granite countertops go in my kitchen next week and am wondering where in Alabama I can get this and how expensive it would be for me. Cudos on this kitchen.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

KKS_Kitchen...start a new thread. This is an old thread that has dropped off the Forum and can now only be accessed via a direct link (or finding it via Google).