Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4' granite backsplash, glass subway tile, or both?

Posted by kfagan113 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 21:29

We finally picked out our granite!!!! We are SO excited. We picked White Ice (lots of grey, black and beige specs, mostly white background). I think it'll be beautiful with our grey stained cabs. I am in favor of white glass subway tiles all the way to the counter, but DH wants the 4" granite backsplash with the tile on top of it. Does anyone have thoughts on this or feel strongly one way or another??? TIA!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4' granite backsplash, glass subway tile, or both?

Here's a thread from last week on the granite strip backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent thread on this

o

I much prefer no granite BS if you are doing glass tile.

o

Skip the granite BS. Tile all the way!

o

Definitely no 4" granite backsplash! In most cases it will look "off" or "wrong".

A 4" backsplash like that is really for someone who plans no other backsplash finish other than paint.

o

I already have a granite B/S but want to put tile above it. I think it might be too difficult to remove. I would also like subway tile. Would be interested to see what you decided.

o

My preference is for the tile to meet the countertop, with no 4" strip of counter on the wall. For me, the only reason I would have a 4" strip of counter on the wall is if I were not going to have any other backsplash otherwise, and wanted to protect the wall from splatters, etc.

The reason why it used to be standard to have a 3-4" strip of countertop dates back to the formica days. Now that we have modern counter fabrication where a counter is cut precisely to meet the wall, with no gap, there isn't a practical reason to have the strip. But if you like the look (i.e. people like the vintagey mid-century appearance of the 4" strip), go for it.

In any case, I will list the reasons why I do not like a small strip of counter on the backsplash:

- you will spend a lot of effort designing a beautiful tile backsplash; why cut it short by 4".

- the additional horizontal line of the 4" strip will visually make the space between your counter and upper cabinets look smaller and more cramped

- the 4" backsplash creates a small "ledge" which collects dust. Oy, yet one more thing to clean.

- you will be charged for the material and installation for the 4" backsplash; money that you may have preferred to spend elsewhere.

This is all MHO. If you simply like the look, get what YOU want.

o

DOnt do the 4inch backsplash, I did not even get a choice they put in on and 5 years later i want to add glass subway tile and I cant remove that 4 inch slab from the rest of the granite. In my next kitchen I definately wont have it and I will have known better to tell them NO!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here