Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1]

Buehl
15 years ago

Welcome - If you are new here - you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but there is also a category list if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as planning for storage can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• In the Subject, the site changes the inches indicator (") to a foot indicator ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single qoutes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.

• When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offerring this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page)

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the link.

• When using the "Clip this post" option (far upper right corner of each post, small print), remember that only the current post is clipped, not the entire thread. Also, you are allowed a maximum of 50 clippings. Once you reach this max, you will no longer be able to clip or email posts.

How are the home page and the Forum organized? (from the FAQs)

The Kitchens Forum home page lists 30 thread titles, starting with those that don't yet have a response. Then threads are listed in order of most recent response. That first page displays the last 2 hours or so of activity. (If there is no response to a thread in an hour or two, an unanswered thread starts to drop down.)

Below that are page numbers 1-67 for the total 67 pages of threads available -- capturing maybe 2 months or so of threads, less when the Forum is busy.

Below that (and at the top of the thread list) is a space for you to switch to the Conversations or Gallery "sides" - these are set up similarly but not nearly as active.

Next down is a Search button -- very important!

Next is a place for you to start a new thread. And...

Comments (150)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

~bump~ (too tired for a quote...but keep it up Revans1!)

• revans1
    15 years ago

Man is the being who has built controllers for every stubborn element, but he has not been able to build one for his Ego.

Mawlana Faizani

• revans1
    15 years ago

You are what your deep driving desire is; As your deep driving desire is, so is your will; As your will is so is your deed; As your deed is so is your destiny.

Maitri Upanishads

• revans1
    15 years ago

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Buddha

• revans1
    15 years ago

Ah! on Thanksgiving day....
    When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
    And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before.
    What moistens the lips and what brightens the eye?
    What calls back the past, like the rich pumpkin pie?

John Greenleaf Whittier

• revans1
    15 years ago

A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.

Cicero

• mfrog
    15 years ago

A small house
    A large garden
    A few good friends
    Many good books

unknown

• busybme
    15 years ago

Gather the crumbs of contentment and they will make you a loaf of happiness.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• revans1
    15 years ago

None is more impoverished than the one who has no gratitude. Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy.

Fred De Witt Van Amburgh

• revans1
    15 years ago

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of...

• golddust
    15 years ago

bump

• mfrog
    15 years ago

Old wood to burn
    Old wine to be drunk
    Old friends to trust
    Old books to read

Francis Bacon

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

~bump~

• revans1
    15 years ago

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

• revans1
    15 years ago

Only a stomach that rarely feels hungry scorns common things.

Horace

• revans1
    15 years ago

I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Kahlil Gibran

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

bump

• mfrog
    15 years ago

I can't keep up with Revans1, so I will just bump it back to page 1

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Sometimes I think I understand everything, and then I regain consciousness. :D

• revans1
    15 years ago

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Francis Bacon

• revans1
    15 years ago

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• revans1
    15 years ago

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

• revans1
    15 years ago

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.

Charles Darwin

• revans1
    15 years ago

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

Woody Allen

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    15 years ago

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
    Enwrought with the golden and silver light,
    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    Of night and light and half-light,
    I would spread the cloths under your feet
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams beneath your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

[Yeats]

• revans1
    15 years ago

My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Mitch Hedberg

• revans1
    15 years ago

I couldn't wait for success, so I went ahead without it.

Jonathan Winters

• revans1
    15 years ago

I never got along with my dad. Kids used to come up to me and say, "My dad can beat up your dad." I'd say, "Yeah? When?"

Bill Hicks

• revans1
    15 years ago

How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.

Emo Philips

• revans1
    15 years ago

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Jack Handey

• revans1
    15 years ago

Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

George Carlin

• revans1
    15 years ago

You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.

Ellen DeGeneres

• revans1
    15 years ago

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mitch Hedberg

• revans1
    15 years ago

You can only be young once but you can be immature forever.

Dave Barry

• revans1
    15 years ago

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.

Steven Wright

• revans1
    15 years ago

Ever notice that Soup for One is eight aisles away from Party Mix?

Elayne Boosler

• revans1
    15 years ago

"Not many people know it, but I'm a pretty famous guy".

Sam Malone on "Cheers"

• revans1
    15 years ago

I never got girls when I was a kid. One girl told me, `Come on over, there's nobody home.' I went over. There was nobody home.

Rodney Dangerfield

• revans1
    15 years ago

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Dick Cavett

• revans1
    15 years ago

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.

Steven Wright

• revans1
    15 years ago

Why are there no "during" pictures?

Mitch Hedberg

• revans1
    15 years ago

Boys are beyond the range of anybody's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years.

James Thurber

• revans1
    15 years ago

I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me.

Jack Handey

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
    -- Bill Cosby

• revans1
    15 years ago

The toilets at a local police station have been stolen. Police say they have nothing to go on.

Ronnie Barker

• revans1
    15 years ago

I was born in Alabama, but I only lived there for a month before I'd done everything there was to do.

Paula Poundstone
    posted by revans1, resident of Vestavia Hills, Alabama

• rnest44
    15 years ago

revans1, you found something to do in Alabama...amuse us with quotes. I don't even mind scrolling all the way to the end to see what you've bumped with each time!

• revans1
    15 years ago

:-)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.

Marty Feldman

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."

- Buckaroo Banzai

• revans1
    15 years ago

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said "Didn't you see the stop sign?". I said "Yes, but I don't believe everything I read".

Steven Wright