Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homenoobie

90% finished kitchen reveal and Backsplash HELP!

HomeNoobie
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

As promised, here are the pictures of my kitchen! This is a newly built home, and we just moved in end of July, and as I mentioned earlier, we had a bit of a flood disaster and now back on our feet. The kitchen is obviously missing the backsplash and the vent hood (which has been purchased, but we were advised to wait until we put the backsplash before we install the hood). It is also missing stools for the island, as well as a few other touches! I cleaned it and made it presentable just for this occasion ;)

Re: Backsplash

I wanted to do a marble backsplash, with a focal point over the range, and after I visited the tile store this weekend, I was told to stick to Calacatta marble because it has both cool and warm tones to go with my kitchen... Need your advice!!!

Also, how far up should I tile? My cabs don't reach the ceiling..

Cabinets: Maple "spanish" brown (perimeter), vanilla (island)

Countertop: Kashmir white granite

Fridge: KA Counterdepth French door 72"

Microwave: Sharpe MW Drawer (THANKS GUYS!!)

Range: LG Freestanding range

DW: Miele Inspira

Hood: Arda

My kitchenette set:

The view from my kitchen! Just for fun :)

Backsplash Ideas:

calacatta hex

calacatta wall of demons i mean options..

If you're still looking/reading - help a sister out and I'll love you forever!!! You guys always come through!

XO

HN

Comments (33)

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

wow, what gorgeous options! i agree, marble would look FAB in your space. frankly i don't know if there is a bad option on that wall, but i think i like the one in the very last picture you have. it looks like its the last one hanging on the wall, just above the ones propped up on the ground, not sure how to describe the shape. sort of a sideways rounded diamond shape...it's just below the herringbone patterned one! i also like the one in the full wall picture that is in the very bottom row, on the left side. the pic is a distance away, but looks like just small little circles maybe? again, all beautiful!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I like the choice of calacatta for your kitchen! I like the hex and the circle mosaic-y thing, but I'm not sure they're the best look for your kitchen. I can't believe I'm saying this, but looking at the look you have going on, I think a subway or subway variation will be a better choice. What's the one on the back wall, bottom row, second from the left?

As to how far, I'd be thinking of doing just under the cabinets and ending where the cabs end over by the dining table. Over the stove, I think going all the way up to the top of the cabs there might be good. It kind of depends on what the hood looks like. For the spot right over the stove and under the cab line, how about a framed area with a different pattern of the same tile? Maybe herringbone?

• KBH
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I like the hexagon one - it seems like the granite has a lot of warm tones in it, so I would personally stay away from the grey toned marbles, much as I like them.

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

You are definitely onto something with the calacatta marble; I think it works perfectly! I am a HUGE fan of basketweave backsplashes... of the demons, er options, posted my vote goes to the beautiful basketweave sample with pink sticker.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. The grays and browns with the floor, cabinets, and counter are so soft and elegant. I LOVE Kashmir White...It's the granite I would have chosen if I'd had stone countertops.

What style is your hood? Will it span from cabinet to cabinet or will there be room between the hood and the flanking uppers? If the hood will reach from cabinet to cabinet, or almost, and will have a strong horizontal line at the bottom, I'd stop the tile at the bottom of the hood... Otherwise, I hope others with the same situation have photos to help you decide.

Those are some beautiful backsplashes, and I love marble... But does it work with the granite without one detracting from the other? With the subtleties of the Kashmir White, I think I'd want something plainer and more solid, like a ceramic in matte, glossy, or crackle. Just my opinion, though, and it's your kitchen! Best wishes.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

I really love your kitchen without a backsplash. I have never seen a kitchen look so nice without one. Maybe a sheet of glass behind the stove top?

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you ALL!
    I knew I could rely on you guys!

missyV: I totally know what you're saying! I like both of those too! I think if i did the small penny round ones, it would just be in a focused area over the range?

suzannesl: The subway calacatta was what I was thinking of too! Would you do it entirely or do something different over the range? I like the herringbone or hex idea! And when you say go up to the cabs, should it go to where the top of the crown is? The lady at the store was saying maybe to stop at the bottom of the hood - an option.. but I wanted that wall to be "focal".. just not sure how to pull it off..

35ftcabo: Yes i LOVE the grey toned marbles.. but you're right i need to keep it warm... so that eliminates the one i'm in love with, which is the second from the right on the bottom picture, bottom row :(

thynes: haha you're funny... I like the basketweave too! It is one of the better demons.. haha
    Rhone: The vent hood is a typical chimney and I doubt there will be much room on either side of it.. All along when I was waiting for this house for a year and a half, I imagined a marble backsplash... and I want it so bad! but also, if it won't work well with the kitchen, I am willing to sacrifice it :( what ideas do you have?

Thanks again!!!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I think the one hanging up on the right end of the bottom row ( next to the basket weave) would look fabulous in your kitchen.

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

Sorry, I'm with rhome on this one. The marble just doesn't speak to me for your space. I really agree that it will take away from you granite but it also just doesn't seem warm enough. Also, there is a modern edge to those dark cabinets, and the marble just doesn't seem to convey the same feeling.

Good luck in making your decision, this is just my opinion. Do with it what you will!

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jterrilynn: thanks for the compliment! but don't you think its missing a little something? a little pizazz perhaps? I dont want anything that is going to compete with the general flow.. just a finishing touch! what do you think?

badgergal: do you mean the hexagons with the little squares?

• bahacca
    12 years ago

Do you want the focal point to be the backsplash? Right now, my eye is drawn to the red tea kettle, kitchen towels and mixer. I feel like there should at least be some darker accents in the backsplash to tie in the beautiful dark cabinets if there won't be color in it.

• bahacca
    12 years ago

I have this inspiration pic and I think this would be STUNNING in your space. This is what I mean by the dark and light being brought together.
    {{!gwi}}

• maylenew
    12 years ago

I absolutely love the one with all the circles in it. Softens all the angles, plus brings out the circular lines in the round tea kettle, flowers on the rug, round table, flowers in the vase... But frankly, you can't go wrong with any of them. Which one do YOU like? You have to live there. We just get to come by for tea!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is looking great!
    I love the basketweave too (did some of that on our master bath's floor), but I like the sideways bowling pins next to it a hair more for in your kitchen. That pattern seems more mellow, modern and jazzy. The basketweave is busier and more classic/retro.

• harrimann
    12 years ago

I like the one with the elongated diamonds with little squares in between. It reminds me of the shape of your cabinet hardware. It is in the top right corner of your first photo of BS options.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

No fair. I just spent most of my day searching online for cool calacatta tiles with very little luck, and there you have a whole wall of them??? I particularly love the sunflower pattern (propped on the floor on the right). But I also love hexagons, basketweaves, 1" penny rounds. Where is this store? I will move there tomorrow!

Can you check out a couple of your favorite boards? Then you would be able to see quite clearly if the granite and backsplash will fight with each other. If they do, you can find a lovely subway tile (maybe similar in color to your vanilla island), and tile most of it in that. Then you can have a marble feature below your range hood. Here's an example from the Willow Decor blog:

You could also look at horizontal bands of tile like in this Sarah Richardson kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

It appears that she used 4"x12" calacatta subway tile with 3 rows of 1"x2" calacatta brick tile in between rows of the larger tile. If you use a warmer, more solid tile for the 4"x12" it could work. Does that make sense?

By the way, I wanted to show you a Sarah Richardson kitchen with that sunflower tile (this is in ming green):

The large hexagon tile is definitely worth trying. The scale is large enough that it might not fight with the countertop.

We're starting to build soon, and my kitchen layout is very similar to yours. I love your kitchen so far, and I know you'll find something beautiful!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I just found these pictures of a calacatta marble mosaic with off-white subway tiles. The cabinets are not as dark as yours and it isn't the same granite, but it's the same idea. The subway tiles are called rixi mandorla. This kitchen was posted a couple years back by Ni_2006.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Sorry for the confusion, I guess it's actually the end one on the right in the second row from the bottom. Diamond shape with the small squares. I like the touch of tan/ brown that's in it. It brings out that color in yor countertop. The pattern is interesting without being too busy. Love your kitchen!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I like the pattern of the squares in different sizes. It looks a little bit 60s mod squad to me, yet it will always look great. I agree though that all of these seem a little too gray with Kashmir White.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Do you mind if I ask what the dimensions are for your island? (I'm sure you have it right off the top of your head, right? lol) I'm trying to figure out whether to go with an island in my kitchen and dimensions would really help me mull.

As for backsplash, I'm going with bahacca's nomination. I think that blending of dark and light in your space is perfection and ties everything together so beautifully.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

All beautiful tiles and gorgeous kitchen! I second colorfast: love the squares (large square/small square pattern). To me, they just feel right with the style of your kitchen.

• elba1
    12 years ago

What a lovely area to eat in! I like the harlequin tiles, as I'm doing that shape right now (but vertically instead of horizontally). Good luck!

• amyktexas
    12 years ago

I have the kashmir white and dark cabinets, ended up going with a simple white subway tile backsplash. It really helps to highlight the grain in the stone. It was also way cheaper than marble :). I chose a pewter grout so the contrast of the white and deep grey really pull the colors of the granite together.
    A friend of mine went with the same granite, but a maroon glass backplash and it looks great too, pulls the flecks from the granite and gives it a totally different feel.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Another vote for simple ceramic tiles. I honestly think the gray in the marble will throw things off in your kitchen.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW..
    Thank you all so much for your input! It means a lot! I may be even more confused now as to what to do, but this is helpful!

bahacca: Gorgeous pic! And i see what you're saying by some dark accents to compliment the cabinets.. that looks good..

Burnsie2: I really loved the sunflower one, but it isnt calacatta, its carara and apparently too grey for my space? Thanks for asking!

dianalo: thanks for the compliment! I feel like the sideways bowling pins are a bit too traditional? But then again what do I know. The basket weave is really nice, I'm sure it looks awesome in your bathroom!

controlfreakecs: do you have any suggestions?

mcmjilly: it seems like lots of people like that one! Maybe I need to see it used in a kitchen so I can get the feel of it?

mpgamom: LOL do you live in toronto? if so, it is called Saltillo tile! And that Sarah richardson pic with the ming green sunflowers is where I got the idea for the sunflowers and why I went to that store in particular since both her and candice richardson shop there... but they weren't very helpful!! thank you so much for those inspiration pics! I LOVE the sunflower but it comes in carara not calacatta :( Thank you for the compliment and I do like the calacatta subways... and the hex as well, because they have some warm tones to go with the cabinets?

badgergal: thank you so much for the compliment! This kitchen came inspired from all of you guys!!

colorfast: I like the one with the different shaped squares as well.. do you think all of them are too grey even though they have some warm tones? The warm tones arent translating too much in the photograph. I'll post a pic tonight with the samples agains my wall!

Steph2000: haha I do remember! it is 5x3. I was going to have a breakfast bar, but I really wanted an island.. and it really works, functionally! good luck with your home! I'm sure it will be beautiful!

francoise47: thank you! and yeah I like those too!

Elba1: are the harelquin tiles the ones with the diamonds with the little box on the end? as dianalo called it, the sideways bowling pin?

amyktexas: do you have any pics? I'd love to see both kitchens!!

ellendi: even with the bit of warmth from that particular marble?

I just feel like cream subway tiles will just be... boring? I wanted something elegant and pretty.. I am still as confused as ever... I do love the calacatta, and could see myself doing a subway calacatta with a focus over the range in something like the squares, or the bowling pin... or entirely subways? But am open to having accents of brown to highlight the cabs as you guys suggested! Keep it coming!!
    I heart you all!

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

Did you see CHI Town's thread and Pipdog's beautiful mother of pearl back splash? Maybe all that sparkle is too much for you, but it is definitely elegant, and despite being all whites, beiges, and grays, it feel so warm and lush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other backsplash thread

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I thought the sunflowers looked like carrara, but I was hoping you found calacatta sunflowers somewhere. I could get a passport and drive to Toronto, but if they aren't that helpful.... Saltillo does sell tile through a store a couple hours away in Indianapolis, and I'll be there in a couple months for a gymnastics meet. I haven't even picked my countertop yet, but I should by then!

One more thought - the basketweave and bowling pins both look very white from a distance. You may be able to get away with something like that. Still like the hexagons best, though, I think.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

controlfreakecs : I DID see that! and i love it! its so weird because there are some pearly spots in my granite and I had the idea of MOP but didn't find any! I'm going to look around for it!! Thanks!

Mpagmom: aww you are too nice! but yes they had a big selection!! Thanks so much for your opinion and help..i love the hex too!

• tandemcha
    12 years ago

Beautiful job HomeNoobie!

I am particularly fond of your recessed lighting. Please, please share the details! Brand, size, etc.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tandemcha: thank you!
    i actually have no idea about the details of the potlights! we simply asked for potlights when we were doing our upgrades and thats what we got! i can measure them when i get home for u and let you know!

• tandemcha
    12 years ago

HomeNoobie that would be very helpful. I am looking to install 4 inch recessed lighting, as opposed to the typical 6 inch, due to the size of my small kitchen. Europhase makes a 4 inch, but no one seems to know much about it. I was hoping by chance that yours might be Europhase.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! And the view out back is gorgeous.

I am with a few of the other posters on this one and would go with something simpler than marble. If the floors were not already grey with subtle pattern then I would go for the marble BS - but I am not sure about 3 similar yet different patterns all living together. I think it could be tough to get it right.

• HomeNoobie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tandemcha : I'll check and let you know ASAP!

laurainlincoln: Honestly, I'm so confused now :S I'm not really sure how to proceed at all and this is at the top of my to-do list. There's the marble idea, the pearly idea (of which I haven't seen in any stores i've visited) and a plain cream subway idea.. I'm LOST and can use all the help I can get! If you have any suggestions fire away!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living