Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calypsochick

my finished nyc galley kitchen!

calypsochick
13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and words of wisdom! Our NYC galley kitchen is pretty much done. You can see more photos and information here and I'd be happy to answer any questions:

www.pinkroots.blogspot.com

Thanks!!

Comments (75)

• cardamon
    13 years ago

The kitchen turned out so pretty. It looks so serene and I can see why you would love to come to home to that. You chose all the elements that I like so I just have to say again pretty, pretty, pretty. Well done.

• scootermom
    13 years ago

That granite is so quietly beautiful. I could go in there and meditate, just gazing at that stone and soaking in the peacefulness. Lovely choices!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

How fortunate to have a window in your NYC galley - and your choices just reflect all that light. Congrats!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Well done! I agree with sabjimata that the combination of the dark floor to the light cabinets and granite is stunning.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Simple and elegant. Very well done!

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Amazing what you can do in a small space with careful planning and GREAT choices! That granite is simply stunning. I think it's my favorite part!

• caryscott
    13 years ago

I'm not planning anything even close to as elegant as what you have done but I'm curious about your sink placement. A couple of folks here have placed there sinks in the corner(all have small galley kitchens as I recall). Though it doesn't follow the "rules" I am planning on doing the same thing in my galley and I am wondering how you like it? Congratulations on a great job.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!!!

I have to say, that I tortured myself over the countertop choice and in the end, it's now my favorite element!

I went through some serious back and forth and quite a bit of insanity over the granite, going from Classic White/White Fantasy quartzite, to Moon Night, to Ocean White granite to Misty Carrara Ceasearstone to ohmygod should I have done light floors and dark countertops instead?! I was seriously a crazy person. And what did I learn in the end? To go with your gut.

I'm so happy a lot of you think the kitchen is so calming! It's hilarious because right now, all I see is the whirlwind of freakouts and obsessions that I went through over each little thing.

Things that I never had before and that now make a huge difference in a tiny kitchen? A big enough windowsill to actually put things on and use (instead of just a narrow ledge), and the over-the-fridge deep cabinet with the flip-up door. I can squirrel away everything in there!

PS francoise47 and odiegirl13: I'm coming to Atlanta and bringing my obsessiveness and years of experience clipping magazines with me! :)

Before:

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Caryscott--Our sink was already in the corner, but I happen to love it there, too. Our plumbing is in that side wall, and we chose to leave the sink there because it was already in a good position anyway. I don't really understand what problems there would be? Is it about elbow room? I've never encountered an issue with it. The only thing I would recommend is to put your backsplash material on the side wall because of splattering and water stains.

The only thing we moved on that side was the range. It used to be up against the side wall at the entrance. That was annoying. So we scooted it over 8 inches, and put in narrow cabinets there. So the layout is now: 8-inch cabinets/countertop, range, 18-inch dishwasher (it was originally 24 inches) and then sink. I think it's an efficient use of space!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

What a great space! Very, very nice--calm and elegant.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Very nice.

Re: the sink...because of the depth of the window, you do have enough elbow room ... I have a similar location but next to tall, deeper cabinet. The sink is in the corner of the counter but the space extends beyond it where you stand.

• cplover
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen!! What a calming & stylish space! I love your cabinets, more info please!! Could you also give me info on your floor tile? It all looks so nice together! Great job!! Also is your granite polished or honed?

• wolfgang80
    13 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen. Congratulations.

Can you tell me the make and model of your refrigerator? I'm guessing SZ 700 series.

Thanks,

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newbieremodeler--Regarding the cabinets and floor:

Cabinets:
    Manufacturer: Rutt Handcrafted Cabinetry, Fusion
    Construction: Frameless Contemporary
    Door and Drawer Style: New Yorker
    Color/Finish: 80 White Paint, 10 Flat Sheen

Floor:
    Ann Sacks thoroughbody porcelain tile, Name:Vault
    Color: Carbon
    Dimensions: 11 7/8" x 23 5/8"
    Grout: Charcoal (Custom Building Products/Polyblend)

And the granite is polished.

wolfgang80--The refrigerator is the Sub-Zero 700 TCI (with pro handle). It's 27-inches wide.

All the details are at www.pinkroots.blogspot.com

Thanks!!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

You must be so happy to have such a great functional yet beautiful space. Very well done.

I empathize with your grout problems. We went through that with our floor (way lighter than expected) and our backsplash (way darker than expected).

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That is a onderful, inviting, calming space. Well done!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Really nice. That granite is a knockout. Congrats on a job well done.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Beautiful! That granite is GORGEOUS and perfect for your space!

Congrats!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

calypso,

I love your new NYC kitchen!! The granite is amazing! Love your Wolf ;) Everything goes very nicely and makes the space seem bigger! Really nice :)

• sundownr
    13 years ago

I have never seen a granite that I wanted. Until now. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love all of your finishes.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you EVERYONE for all your awesome comments!! I'm doing the granite dance.

• caryscott
    13 years ago

It's one of those NKBA guidelines - I find the space on the other side of mine to be an absolute waste. Not sure what the logic is - elbow room may be it. I tweaked my design to bring my planned back splash around to the side not all that long ago - thanks for the advice. I have the same stove problem (mine is up against the wall at the opposite end from the entrance though) and I'm planning a 9" cabinet for that corner. I have to live with mine for a few more years yet - it's always great to see people getting their new kitchens - one day it will be my turn. Enjoy!

• jackier
    13 years ago

love it love it love it! also love your blog...i can totally relate!
    i really dig all of your choices...really lovely. congrats

Here is a link that might be useful: designsmitten

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

That is so cool! Very well laid out, and I like the lack of WOW, POP and eye-catching focal points. It's balanced and serene, nothing stands out, it's just "there".

I have seen expensive yachts that didn't have that nice a galley.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

My first thought was how calm and serene the space looked, then I saw everyone else had noted the same thing! Great to have that natural light from the window, and when I saw the stool under it I could picture a guest perched there, drinking a big glass of wine, chatting with the cook...

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I lately have perched there and drank big glasses of wine. :)

• doonie
    13 years ago

Caplysochick,

I am loving your granite selection (and how it looks with all of your other choices!)

Congratulations!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is really, really beautiful in a perfectly understated way. You really made perfect choices! The granite is to die for!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

FINALLY!!! Just kidding :) I've just been waiting for the final pics on this one because I knew it was going to be wonderful and it REALLY is. I was also curious because I also have a galley kitchen except mine is a pass through. How is the 8" next to the range? I will have 9" next to my range - it's currently adjacent to a door - blech. Are you happy with the 21" sink? I'll have that too, undermounted. Mine is currently 21", but drop in with a strange round circle sink in the top right hand corner. It's just lovely - ENJOY all your hard work - and your big glasses of wine!

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!

cluelessincolorado--I love the sink! It's the same size as what we had before, but ours used to be a white cast iron that wasn't undermounted. I love the Franke, and it's deeper that what we had before, too. I don't think we could have gone with a bigger sink in our layout.

I think the 8 inches next to the range came out perfectly handy, and it's a huge difference compared to having the range up against the wall, which I despised. Blech. We use the 8-inch base cabinet for tray/cookie sheet/cutting board/pans/wire rack storage. And right now I haven't really figured out what to do with the upper cabinets. It's just used as pantry storage for now. But the 8 inch counterspace is awesome for keeping all my oils and vinegars handy right there. It was all really done because it was more important to move the range away from the wall.

• hamden_mom
    13 years ago

Lovely all around! Can you tell us what finish is on your knobs -- is it polished nickel or chrome or satin nickel or ...? Thanks!

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hamden_mom-The finish for the knobs is polished nickel. All the finishes, from the hardware to the faucet to the light fixture, are all polished nickel.

• positano
    13 years ago

Calypsochick-
    One of the first days you posted your kitchen I commented, but now its not on here. So strange. So anyway I will repeat what I said then.

I just love it. When I see your kitchen I get pangs of jealousy. This was my orignial vision and I ended up so far away from it! I love my kitchen,but I listened to other people and didn't go with my gut.

You did a beautiful job! I moved out of NYC a few years ago and had a kitchen very similar even the window. I had a stool under mine and it was a great place to perch and watch DH cook, who's a chef.

The granite is spectacular. The look of marble without the hassle. Enjoy everything. You created a timeless, classic kitchen.

How do you like the Haverhill fixture. I am debating changing the lights over my island for something that gives off more light. Mine are a solid material so the light only shines down, not out.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Positano--Thanks so much! But...jealous?! Far away!? What are you talking about? I feel like our kitchens are siblings!

I love your granite and that herringbone pattern above the range. I had wanted to do the same, but thought it might be too busy for our small space. And I love your pendants. I know what you mean, though, about giving off more light. We could only have one kitchen overhead light, and I didn't want track lighting, but it had to be pretty bright. So I determined that a glass fixture would be ideal. And I love our Haverhill pendant very much. It's super bright (150 watts). If you do end up changing your delicious fixtures, the smaller Haverhill pendants would look gorgeous in your kitchen, too. (I think the wattage is 100 on the smaller ones.)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks like music to me. I hear Miles Davis, "So What", from the Kind Of Blue album. It is simple, compact, soothing, graceful, and swings. I could be very happy there, cooking all afternoon.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, love it! LOVE the granite!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I don't know if have already done so, but please put your kitchen in the FKB.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A Miles Davis kitchen! Love it. I haven't posted to the FKB, but will do so! Thanks everyone.

• MariposaTraicionera
    13 years ago

What a stunning kitchen! Congratulations. You did an amazing job with your space.

I am intrigued by your name. Caribbean influence by chance? :-)

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Love it. Very well thought out and beautiful choices. The granite is unbelievably gorgeous. Every time I see a kitchen done this well, it makes me rethink all of my choices.

• byronroad
    13 years ago

So it's true - Great things come in small packages. Your kitchen is outstanding. I love the soft simplicity of it and the way it flows. As others have mentioned, it is easy to imagine someone sitting on the stool drinking a glass of wine watching the cook. May you have many happy meals like that. Congratulations.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love sitting on that stool. I don't know why I never had one in there before!

mariposatraicionera--Not of Caribbean influence; just intrigued by the music and mythology!

• mtv20
    13 years ago

calypsochick - I have the very same countertops only in a leathered finish installed less than 2 weeks ago and today I accidentally etched them with a large vinegar jug. Do you have any staining or etching problems?

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, mtv20. I'm sorry to hear about that! Ugh! I haven't had any issues with staining or etching on our polished counters. The only thing that was ever left overnight on the countertop was a small drop of a grape soda-type drink, and that wiped up fine the next day. I know we've had coffee on there, as well butter, but I haven't noticed any stains or etches.

• amberley
    13 years ago

Just. Perfect.

I am with sundownr- I've never seen a granite I liked until now. I thought it was marble! STUNNING. Makes me want to be 25 and thinking about moving to NYC again...

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol! I'm glad the granite can produce such inspiring thoughts! Miss those tiny NYC kitchens??

• readsomething
    13 years ago

Calypsochick, I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but just tonight I opened up the forums, and your post was the one I clicked on. IMAGINE my surprise when I saw your beautiful kitchen ... with the cabinets and hardware my husband and I have chosen for our kitchen. :-) The cabinets and most of the hardware were installed today!

I love love love the simplicity of your kitchen.

• calypsochick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

readsomething--REALLY?! Did you use Rutt as well? I applaud and highly support your choices. :) Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!

• Steven Steinberg
    6 years ago

it's been a long time since this thread occurred but someone just forwarded it to me as an example of everything done right. Any chance you're still around and can get those images back up? Would love to be inspired.

• Steven Steinberg
    6 years ago

oops, just saw the link to your blog. Nevermind.

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x