Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Cushy Cupboard vs Life liner

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

Is cushy cupboard worth the extra expense? It seems a lot of people are happy with life liner! Curious if anyone has tried both? And do you line every cabinet or just certain ones?

Comments (2)

• plllog
    9 years ago

I've used both.

I liked Life Liner when I first saw it. I like the airflow aspect and that it was stiff and didn't need glue, and that it could be taken out for cleaning. Then I tried to clean it. Getting it truly clean between the ribs is a total nightmare bordering the impossible. I went back to paper (the kind on the big roll that you throw away rather than washing) after using Life Liner for half a year.

When I first saw Cushy Cupboards, I thought it was dumb. Then I thought it had potential. I had decided on cork for my drawers and cupboards with dishes, pots and flatware. It was natural and pretty, and would only need dusting. It was also expensive and inappropriate for where food or cleaning products might be stored, and because of the collective wisdom here which was in love with Cushy Cupboards, I bought a roll. Then a case. Then another case. (The case pricing/shipping was much better. I called the phone number and was more pleased with the price. I don't know if that's still the way to go.) The cork isn't doing so well after four years. It probably won't last more than another few years. It'll be replaced by Cushy Cupboards.

The trick to Cushy Cupboards is that you have to set up a cutting station and cut it out carefully, like you would a sewing pattern, and use a heavy straight edge. Make it fit right. You don't want it to slop around. My builder-helper (related to me, not the construction) even figured out how to get the upper corner shelves out of a single piece with only a tiny triangle of gap on one edge.

Cleaning is SO easy. You just remove it, carry it to the sink, wash it with dishsoap, shake off the water and let it dry. Cleaning cupboards used to be on the most hated chores list. Now, figuring out what to donate is the chore. The actual cleaning is a breeze.

I don't care if it's made of petrochemicals, and possibly the same stuff as they sometimes use under flooring. It's marvelous at what it's meant to do. And even if it were cheaper off an industrial roll, I'd rather work with the 24" wide one. They also have 12", but unless you have a scad of shelves that are exactly 12", you're going to have to make a cuts anyway, so might as well get the wider roll.

The Life Liner never stops wanting to roll up and is very hard. The Cushy Cupboards does go flat once it's in use, and is cushy.

It took using it to convert me, but I am now an enthusiastic convert.

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

I've used the Life Liner before and it does just what you'd expect. To clean it, I just take it to the sink and wash it with a little soap and a brush or sponge to get between the grooves. Maybe if you spilled something really sticky on it, getting it clean may take a bit of a soak, but I didn't find cleaning it to be all that difficult.

I can't justify paying what that Cushy stuff costs. I've picked up a jumbo roll of Easy Liner (the Duck brand stuff) for drawers where pots and appliances are going to give a little extra cushion. I still like the ribbed stuff for under dishes and glasses.