Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnfever

can light soapstone *stay* light??

Can a light colored soapstone *stay* light colored or will it always eventually darken, even if you don't oil/wax it? I looked at a*lot* of soapstone threads today but didn't find this addressed even with a google search--my apologies if I missed it!

I'm leaning toward a light grey counter which maybe could be soapstone if I can find the right DIY low low price; I'm going to Denver at the end of the month and will check out M Texiera and Dorado, especially the recycled parts. I really like fivefootzero's counters (and the bunnies!) but so many soapstones are very dark. My eyes and I are getting older so I think a lighter colored counter is the way to go (DIY is a must).

I know there are options for this in laminate, which I'm already looking at.

thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, leela4, I think you gave a very good answer! Well, if Florida Joshua says it'll darken, I'll believe it :) . I like the sanding and degreasing ideas, but I plan to be in this house for decades so eventually I'll lose the darkening battle.

thanks again, cheers!

• jscout
    12 years ago

Join the Dark Side...

• leela4
    12 years ago

yeah mtnfever- I'm sure we'll be in this house forever (it's been 31 years and counting) but I'm hoping that when it does darken significantly I'll be too addlepated to notice ;-)

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

You can bring soapstone back to it's original lightness either by sanding or by using acetone or alcohol. This takes any accumulated oils off.

We leave ours naked...and it's a light grayish color. When areas get darkened, I can take some alcohol and take the oils off. It's only on the surface.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

pictures please of naked soapstone! :)

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

Here you go. We have Belvedere from M. Tex in NJ. Very hard stone...I have dropped soup cans from the upper corner cabinet on to it with not even a ding.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jscout and leela4, hah! Maybe by the time they cart me off to the home, the counters will be so dark that I can't see any dirt and I'll think I'm a great housekeeper lol.

fivefootzero, thanks for posting your beautiful pics, and for seconding leela4 on sanding or alcohol removing the dark oxidation.

I think I'll get some samples and start testing them. Fivefootzero, your Belvedere is so pretty and at hardness 4 sounds "hard to beat";) .

thanks again!

cheers

• cheri127
    12 years ago

Scott at Bucks County Soapstone has a product that can be used to keep soapstone from holding onto oil and thus stay light. I have no idea what it is, but he applied it to a sample for me and it really worked.

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

It's probably either acetone or alcohol...no special products are needed to get the same result.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hmm, cheril27, that sounds interesting, thanks! I couldn't find anything on the Bucks County Soapstone web site other than their Snake Oil Liniment, so I sent Scott an email and will update when I hear back.

cheers

• User
    12 years ago

I use a color enhancing sealer on my soapstone so that it stays dark without oil, I would think that a regular stone sealer that does not enhance the color would help prevent oils from soaking into the counter and therefore help keep it light. It might be worth trying on a sample.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cheril27 and athomeinva, you're both right on track! I heard back from Scott at Bucks County who said it's probably DuPont Bulletproof Stone Sealer. Amazon gives it high marks but no one there nor DuPont talk about soapstone, only for porous stone, which I thought soapstone was non-porous. But, there you are. Something to try during sample testing.

thanks, and cheers!