Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Cipollino Marble II - with pictures of various white stones

sochi
14 years ago

Hi there - I finally made it to a couple of stone yards, beginning my search for the Luce di Luna white quartzite I fell for on this forum a few months ago. I did find quartzite bianco slabs, although they were grayer and a little muddier than I wanted. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the slabs, but I think my expectations were too high.

Then the sales rep took me to a few white marbles, including Calacatta and Cipollino. Both were stunning. I particularly fell for the linear cream/vanilla/brown veins on the Cipollino. The Cipollino also has blue veins, unexpected but beautiful. Both the Calacatta and the Cipollino had the beautiful crisp white background I wanted.

I've searched the web for info on Cipollino, but to no avail. Have any of you heard of it being used as a countertop? Is it any softer or more delicate than your average marble? The sales rep only told me to hone it and seal it, like any marble I guess. Any comments?

Background info: I'm doing a majo reno of my kitchen and entire ground floor, generally modern in style. Work starts in about two weeks. Natural walnut lower cabinets, no uppers, linen or vanilla pantry wall cabinets, SS counters on sink run. Blonde hardwood floors (birch, natural finish).

The Quartzite Bianco:

Quartzite Bianco again:

Metro (I think)- marble:

Calacatta 1:

Calacatta 2:

Cipollino 1:

Cipollino 2:

Any votes? Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Those are some gorgeous slabs but I think I'm not loving the hard linear lines against the graining of the walnut. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the first Calcutta. There's something natural (which I know makes no sense since they are all natural stone) and soft about the movement in it which to me, correlates more with the graining of the walnut.

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I'm no expert, but I had the same exact thoughts as Remodelfla as I was scrolling down the page. The graining of the walnut is beautiful, but the vertical lines of everthing but the the calacatta's seem to compete against the wood grain. I, however, love how the second calacatta has walnut accents. I hadn't considered walnut for a cabinet. That is beautiful!

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

I "third" the above two posters. For me, the lines of everything except Calcutta were too "busy" with similarly dense grain of the Walnut wood; whereas a calcutta slab -- even with a bit more veining -- would bring a calmer effect.

• tanem
    14 years ago

Why aren't you going with Luce di Luna? I tested it with everything imaginable, overnight and found it indestructable.

• lisaslists2000
    14 years ago

I am not feeling oppositional, but I like the cippolino. It makes a masculine statement, and if that can work for you, I love it.
    Lisa

• sochi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments thus far. A sales rep at the second store I went to suggested that the Calacatta was too traditional for a modern kitchen - I disagreed, you guys seem to agree.

My original thinking was, however, that the linear lines were more modern, but you make great points about the grain in the walnut versus the linear veins in the Quartzite and the Cipollino. The Cipollino does have more organic movement in it than the Quartzite or the "metro" slab, in part that is why I prefer it. The colours in the Cipollino are spectacular and some of the veining perfectly matches the walnut.

Tanem - I have done testing with the Luce di Luna Quartzite, the Cipollino and the Calacatta. No question the quartzite stands up far better. I'm not sure about the Quartzite as I didn't fall in love with the slab the way I did with the Cipollino and the Calacatta. It is hard to tell in the pictures, but compared to the two marbles the Quartzite is quite 'muddy' and gray. I'm not sure that I love the gray with the brown.

rjr220 - thanks, the walnut is gorgeous. I've seen a few walnut kitchens now, they make me weak in the knees!

Other comments welcome, I'm seriously torn now. I had better start researching old posts on maintaining marble.

The other consideration of course is that the Calacatta is almost double the price of everything else ...

Thanks.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Sochi, I *LOVE* the first Cipollino. It feels very modern, which seems like it would work with what you are trying to achieve in your house, and I think it echoes the grain of the walnut in a very interesting way.

That walnut is beautiful, BTW!
    Eliz

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Sochi, we were cross-posting. I agree with you that the Calacutta (a marble I love, BTW), doesn't feel "modern", FWIW.

Eliz

• sochi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tanem - did you end up going with Luce di Luna in the end?

• penelopejosephine
    14 years ago

I LOVE the Cipollino! I think it would work beautifully in a modern kitchen. I think the colors and linear pattern are interesting next to your walnut sample.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Adore the cipollino. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Love the linearity, love the colours in it. I think it looks stunning with your walnut - the blues, walnut-browns and greys are excellent with Walnut. The metro is another oh-so-stunning choice also but Cipollino is fantastic.

• belle_phoebe
    14 years ago

Count me in for the cipollino or the metro. I love the strong, straight lines for a sleek look. Makes me wish for a modern style kitchen, but it wouldn't mesh well with my 165-year-old house.

• sochi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the Cipollino votes! Our walnut drawers will be done with a horizontal grain, do you think that would offset some of the concerns that the Cipollino is too linear given the movement of the grain in the walnut? The HenryBuilt site has plenty of examples of horizontal grain walnut cabinets and drawers.

• sochi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• labellaluna
    14 years ago

I really like the Metro. The way the lines begin to blur higher up on the slab--it's really kind of amazing to see stone like that. It is very modern looking to my eye and calls to mind an abstract black and white photograph.

• dmm83
    14 years ago

Do you know the actually name of that "Metro" slab? Or know where I can buy it - - I really like for my home?

Please advise - Thanks