Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdmomof3boys_gw

Stormy NIght Granite

sdmomof3boys
11 years ago

I am looking for anyone that has stormy night granite in their kitchen. Do you like it? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

kate:

that's is GORGEOUS!!!

• kateydid29
    11 years ago

Thanks we love it! Kate

• gone_south
    11 years ago

WOW!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Double WOW! No, Triple WOW!!!!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

That is some fabulous looking granite. I have a similar granite called Golden Hurricane in my master bathroom. If I had done my kitchen first it might have been in there instead. Can't wait to see the finished kitchen

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Wow! I love this granite. One of the best mixed black stones out there. Great choice & works well with your cabinet color.

This post was edited by colorfast on Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 2:44

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I should add--I have a dark blue granite with a lot of movement, so I was probably biased toward a dark green, black etc., that was similar:)

• labbie
    11 years ago

I've never seen this granite before. It's beautiful! It caught my eye as it's similar in pattern to our Golden Crystal, which is more brown than black.
    I love swirly granite.

• sdmomof3boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kate-
    Thanks so much for sharing a picture! I found very few pictures of this granite on the internet when we were looking which made it a very difficult decision but we chose it anyway. We installed stormy night granite in our kitchen right before Thanksgiving. I am also looking for a backsplash and flooring so I am really interested in your thoughts. I am working with a designer and he suggested subway tile for the backsplash. I am considering it but I am not liking the really light cream though. My paint (chosen long before the granite went in) is Sherwin Williams Latte and I think the color looks really good with this granite. It is a little darker, more golden tan (warmer than cream I think but yet not too dark). I am going to see if I can find anything in that color or a little lighter (and see what he thinks) I also like the longer, random sized tiles for visual interest and am wondering if I could go with something like that if they were all the same color. I have a picture in an email but don't know how to attach that. If you want, email me at kcdeboer@abe.midco.net and I will email you a picture. I tried to upload a picture of my granite but it says the file was too big. I will be curious to see what you decide. (FYI: We have oak cabinets. Not what I would chose now but I chose them 12 years ago so they had to stay. My floor is currently an oak colored laminate but I will be changing that - not sure what to)

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Hi, SDmom,
    I like your idea with the tan/warm earthy colors in your granite for tile. It would be far more integrated than a cream-colored subway. You could do a subway shape, or a field tile, perhaps on point (diamond-shaped). The irregular tile shape sounds cool. If you go that route, I myself would lean toward only one color.

I have a swirly blue/black granite and have been trying to decide on tile for a year. I was encouraged to do a glass but after living with my granite for a year, I realize I have enough shine in the kitchen and am planning to go another direction. Looking at a matte-finish tile at DalTile that is sort of a stone-like feel although it is ceramic.

As to your floor, we did a wood laminate also, but if I had an unlimited budget, I probably would have gotten slate.

• kateydid29
    11 years ago

Hey sdmomof3boys! I just emailed you! Would love to bounce ideas off each other for our granite!

• kateydid29
    11 years ago

Colorfast-at the rate I am going, I too will be looking for a backsplash for the next twelve months!

I'd love to know the name of the Daltile you are considering. We have a Daltile store near us and have been planning on visiting it and looking around.

I am currently looking into slate but not sure if it is in our budget, either! Also wondering how it would hold up to 3 big dogs and 2 cats.

Your granite sounds really pretty, with the swirly blues and blacks!

• sdmomof3boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate- will email you back soon. Have a meeting to look at backsplash tile later today and will be bringing some sample home to look at in my kitchen.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Mikewood,
    sorry not to see this sooner. The tile I am looking at is P523, this is the code for the 12x12 size tile. I am going to get the 6x6 tile. I do not have a name, but our DalTile outlet says this is sufficient. I am looking at 165 Delorean Gray for grout (Custom Building brand).

It is a gray with blue overtones, matte finish.

Hope it helps.

• jessschaitel
    7 years ago

I'm looking at getting stormy night granite and would love suggestions for backsplash tile. Any help much appreciated!