Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Please help me pick glass pattern for French door and pantry cabi

kaysd
11 years ago

I am posting sketches of my kitchen below. Some of the details are off, but they show the basic layout. There is supposed to be a single lite French door on the sink wall between the cabinetry runs. On the opposite wall, the reach-in pantry has bifold doors with glass inserts to break up the wall of walnut.

The French door opens onto a walkway along the side of our house. If we used clear glass, the view would be of a wood fence with some greenery on it about 42" in front of the door. My original plan was to have a custom leaded glass insert in the French door to allow light to come in, obscure the ugly view, and function as kitchen art. I love the windows in Sochi's kitchen. I was thinking of something with a combination of circles, straight lines, and maybe some squiggles. I planned to pick one of the more opaque glasses used in the French door to use for the glass inserts in the pantry doors, to tie the elements together. I do not want the contents of my pantry to be visible through the glass.

I am starting to worry that the beautiful door design I had in mind will be too much with all the other material patterns going on in the room (wood grain, striped counters, and swirly stone look porcelain floor tile). The cabinets will be walnut and the counters will be White Macaubus. The floor tiles (already installed) are 24x24 Emil Keystone in "Iron" - the base color is a light-to-medium gray with swirls of darker gray and some cream, blue and green tones, depending on the lighting.

My designer thinks the patterns I am looking at will be too much for a "back door," especially since we will not be able to replace the front doors with single lite leaded glass French doors for at least a few doors. She suggests coming up with a very simple design with just a few lines and a couple kinds of glass (but I have nothing to copy for that). DH thinks we should just use 1 kind of obscuring glass for both the French door and pantry inserts. I'm not sure what kind of glass would look good and not compete pattern-wise with the walnut and other materials. My designer said a textured clear glass is much easier to keep looking nice than acid-etched or sandblasted "frosted" glass, which shows finger prints easily (I have 2 little ones).

What kind of glass would you recommend for my kitchen?

These websites show some glass pattern options:

http://www.buildersdooroutlet.com/i_full_lite_6-8.shtml

http://www.doorsbydecora.net/templates/System/details.asp?id=41910&PID=625087

Pantry wall:

Sink wall:

Walnut cabinets:

White Macaubus counters:

{{gwi:1852347}}

Glass pattern DH and I like, but a rectangle with no border and few if any pieces of colored glass:

Here is a link that might be useful: glass patterns

Comments (7)

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I;m with your husband on this one. Why take any attention away from the beautiful cabinets and countertops? Walnut is busy (I am in the middle of my own walnut cabinet installation) and even the macaubus has something going on. I would not do anything to distract from the real stars here. As someone said on this board recently, you can't have too many clowns in the room (or something like that).

• springroz
    11 years ago

I think simpler is better. Your room is pretty busy on its own. Lots of plane changes, and corners, beams and lights. I vote for frosted plain glass.

Nancy

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

i agree that something simple and obscure would not detract from your other choices. i am planning on reed glass myself. i have it on my doors already and will probably do the same on my cabinets. frosted laminate glass would also be a safe choice and i think if you request laminate glass, it will not show fingerprints like sandblasted (or perhaps the other way around-- one of those is less maintenance if i remember correctly). for something more interesting/modern, how about the paris from the buildersdoor site?

Here is a link that might be useful: glass paris

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Since you are using it for doors, make sure the glass you choose is temperable. I discovered while looking for cabinet glass that not all glass is.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Pretty glass. It wants to be the star but it can't be the star in your kitchen- that's what your KD is saying. So you have to really minimize the design to use it. Maybe one line of the squares set in varying sizes, some maybe stretched into rectangles, running vertically through the light, very off center- no arcs, no squiggles. Blow up the existing design at Kinkos, cut out the individual elements and play with it. It has to be a very minimal design, and at that point it may not block the view of the side yard as much so you may not want to do it at all, but you won't know until you play with it.

• kaysd
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NYCbluedevil, I agree that I do not want a clown car kitchen!

Nancy, our lighting is actually simpler than what is shown, but I agree we do have a lot going on. I like plain frosted glass, but my designer warned me that texture tends to show marks easily if anything damp or greasy touches the surface and is hard to keep clean looking. Have you had experience with frosted glass?

Michoumonster, our exterior door, whatever design we pick, will be laminated to meet local energy codes. I had not thought about that for the pantry. The Paris is cool looking (and my favorite city) but not quite opaque enough.

Camphappy, that is a good point about tempered glass - thanks for the reminder.

Localeater, that is an interesting idea - I will run it by my designer. I can picture doing a vertical strip of rectangles and squares maybe 1/3 of the way over from one side, with a very opaque glass on one side of the line and a less opaque glass on the other side. The more opaque glass could be repeated on the pantry doors to tie the elements together.

DH and I picked out a few glass textures we think might work. What do you think of these? If we pick a pattern with lines/ridges, do you think vertical or horizontal would be better?

Ripple:
    {{gwi:1967897}}

Quarter Reed:
    {{gwi:1967898}}

Pilkington Stippolyte:
    {{gwi:1967899}}

Pattern 62:
    {{gwi:1967900}}

Master Point:

Cord:

Cannes:

Thela:
    {{gwi:1967904}}

• sedonamazer
    11 years ago

Have you considered Anderson Frenchwood doors and the Anderson Art Glass inserts. Some are incredibly simple and quite modern and wouldn't compete with your design. There is also their Frank Lloyd Wright series. You can get it with plain or antique glass as background. The antique glass blocks the view without blocking the light. I have the Colonnade in one room and the Prairie in another. I get loads of compliments.