Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaptor99_gw

range hood too big?

zaptor99
15 years ago

I just had my whole kitchen renovated. The kitchen looked great until the island range hood was installed. I think it's TOO big for the kitchen. It's a high end one (Faber) and it's 36", which is normal, but I guess because of where it's located or because it's new to me, I'm finding it HUGE.

I thought about going with a glass one, but I was warned by many that glass will be very hard to clean.

What do you guys think? any ideas? Here are some pics

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Honestly yes it seems large. I'm an art consultant so what really strikes me is that it blocks all the nice sight lines through to the back. I'm a regular oven person so I don't have much appreciation for the hood and at the same time I am at a loss for what alternatives, if any, you would have that won't do the same thing. I love the open concept, the room looks really large and I love the way your eye is drawn through the space (and around the hood) to the big windows in the rear. The room looks great to me but the hood really compromises what I like about the space (it may not be the same for you though and I don't live there so I wouldn't take my opinion to seriously).

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I love those stairs!

I would like to say I love the hood but it seems to have too much mass. Especially the upper part; the rectangle on the bottom is nice and sleek but that upper part is too much.

What about something like this? It is a Best hood.

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• wa8b
    15 years ago

It looks just as I'd expect a range hood over an island cooktop. In fact, the one you've chosen is fairly minimalist in comparison to some that I've seen.

Alas, I'm not a fan of island cooktops for this very reason. The only other solution that I can think of - and it's a little late at this stage - would be downdraft venting, but that has some pretty major drawbacks, too.

Anyway, I think you'll grow used to the vent hood as it is. Some things always look a little shocking when first installed....but as you become accustomed to having it there, you'll soon be comfortable with it.

BTW - Nice looking kitchen!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

First, it looks like you have great views from the deck & eating area!

As to your vent hood issue....

This is one argument against putting ranges/cooktops in islands/peninsulas. (A more important is safety--especially with such a small overhang...please do not put any seats in directly in front of the cooktop!)

But, this is what you have so this is what you have to deal with.

What strikes me as too big is not the bottom part, but the duct work. How big a square is it? I just measured mine and it's a 12" square...yours looks much larger, but it might be the perspective and the location. It may be that it's the proportions as well...the proportion of the duct work to the bottom and the proportion of the overall vent hood to the rest of the kitchen. The overall size of the hood (36") is actually the recommended size for a 30" cooktop and the minimum size for a 36" cooktop.

Right now, though, I think you notice it more b/c it's new and you didn't expect it. Over time, I think you'll get used to it and it won't be such an overwhelming presence in your kitchen. In the meantime, you might try integrating it more with your kitchen. Is there a utensil rack you can get to attach to it? You might try hanging utensils from it. It may make it better or worse, I don't know which, but it's worth a try!

HTH!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Are you in a position to change it? If so, a hood more like the one Anita pointed out would be a better choice. The one youhave seems out of scale with its space (a fancy way of saying.....yes it's too big).

This coming from a girl with a 58x27 hood lol!

• zaptor99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.
    Because it's a ductless installation, I was very limited to which products to use.
    The duct is about 13.5" by 11", which is the norm for a ductless product.
    Now that I had it for over a week, it's actually growing on me. I think seeing it for the first time after having a very open space was bit of a shock, but I'm getting used to it now.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

To me, it just looks too low - how high are your ceilings? What is the clearance between the cooktop and the bottom of the hood? I know code dictates minimum and maximum distances for that clearance - can it be raised at all?

• zaptor99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

minimum allowed is 24", and mine is 25". I can't go higher because of the ductless installation (the smaller chimney will hit the ductless vents inside the bigger chimney) :(

• kompy
    15 years ago

I recall a client of mine having a Sirius ductless range hood cut down in height. He hired a welder friend who had the tools to do it. It worked out fine for them.

I agree, it looks too low.

I also wonder if the angular position makes it appear more bulky. Not much you can do about that....but I find that interesting to note.

• borngrace
    15 years ago

I like the aesthics of your hood in the space but feel like the proportion of duct to actual hood is "off" To me it seems to low from both an aesthic and functional position. Is it in your way when you cook? Do you clock yourself on the corners? I don't know what the specifics of your hood/cooktop combination are but mine allow me to go up to "x" and down to "y" can't remember the exact specs but I chose 32" which is within that range and works well for me but is significantly higher than yours.

• zaptor99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just checked the installation manual again, and because of the ductless installation, the minimum chimney height (from ceiling to bottom of chimney) allowed is 32" which is what I have now. If it was a ducted installation, the minimum would be 26", which would be perfect.
    I guess I'm stuck with this for now :)

• Naush Een
    5 years ago

Can you please post the pics again?