Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

vent hood design problem

bbstx
10 years ago

The photos below are not from my kitchen. They are the kitchen of a house with the same floor plan. This house has a recirculating vent hood. I want a vent to the outside. I'm not sure what to do to hide the pipe that will run from the top of the cabinets through the ceiling to the roof.

I think extending the cabinet to the 12' ceiling will make it look and feel top heavy.

Any suggestions?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Can't tell without looking at your particular house and how the framing runs. You could potentially run the vent out the back and transition it into the wall between two studs. You can buy that type of venting from the big box stores or elsewhere.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My house isn't framed yet, so I have no limitations yet. The construction supervisor suggested just framing out a chase above the cabinets. He didn't think it would be noticeable.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"He didn't think it would be noticeable."

Really!

He has little concept aesthetics.

In one of your photos, draw 2 vertical lines about 16" apart, imagine them as shadow lines and ask yourself, would I notice this?

1st, what is the recommended CFM for venting of the cooking appliance, by the cooking appliance mfg., which is the design criteria for the venting appliance.

You may find that the volumetric efficiency of a single 3-1/2X10" or 14" rectangular vent may not be sufficient, you may need 2. Which means you would need two chases, or a single wider chase.

In using a chase and to keep a square wall to ceiling intersection or a small profile crown, as pictured, the top plates of the wall are cut out allowing the vent to continue.

An alternative to this is to have the vent exit the wall and continue verticly using opposing 45's which can be concealed behind framing and a wider crown. The important part is that the wall structure remains intact.

You have some homework.

• rosie
    10 years ago

The flue is both shallower and narrower than the vent unit hanging over the stove, especially when it's covered with several more inches of wood frame and trim.

This means, if you wish, your wood frame running to the ceiling can be both shallower and narrower than the lower section. It can be finished with nice carpentry detail and not look heavy at all. A nice gain is that this would give a deeper shelf for display, which can even be run around both sides too.

We did this. I only have about 3-4" shelves on each side, mostly just a detail, but on front the shelf is about 7" deep, which holds just about everything I'd like to display there.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, do you have picture? I'm not visualizing your solution, but it sounds workable! Thanks.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

deleting duplicate

This post was edited by bbstx on Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 13:46

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my Paint rendition of what I think the chase/flue will look like with the highlights and shadows. Not great, but I'm really stymied on what to do.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Here is one idea... instead of the dimensions of the chase, they built the wall out wider.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, deedles. I had also done a Paint version with a wider chase like that but my version wasn't good enough to post. This picture is certainly much better!

I know there is a solution to this problem. I just haven't found exactly what I want yet.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

This was my problem, too! I had more than one tortured thread about my hood.
    I ended up going through the wall about 2 feet from the ceiling, the ceiling of the adjacent room was lower so it was then easy to go straight up through the attic to the roof. It was much easier than trying to design something that tall to look good in my kitchen.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH