Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momand3boys_gw

Recessed lights - which kind?

momand3boys
11 years ago

Hi there,

Going to sign on the dotted line this week or early next, finally! I'm just not sure about what kind of bulbs to use for the recessed lights. My KD recommends incandescent. But it looks like the majority here like LED. My DH thinks that LED are too expensive. But it looks like incandescents are going out of style? I really don't know the difference besides price. Can anyone explain?

Thank you!

Comments (11)

• Confire
    11 years ago

I can't answer your question other than to say that I installed 13-4" and 1-6" Sylvania LEDs. The spacing is 40" apart. If I were to do it over I'd go with 36" spacing. Still, were very happy with them.

With can and light they ran about 70 each.

The nice thing is they use less than 130 watts so if we step out of the room for a minute leaving the lights on we don't feel too guilty.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I used Lightolier recessed lights (because I love them from having put them in other rooms in the house). I just used LED bulbs when the other bulbs were just too hot.

• maggieq
    11 years ago

We used Nora low voltage recessed halogen lights (4 inch).....love the soft light. Pricey, but well worth the cost.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Biggest difference is in energy efficiency of the LED vs. incandescent (and halogens are incandescent). LED converts most of the electricity to light, but incandescent converts a lot to heat, so it takes a lot more electricity to make the same amount of light. Incandescent bulbs burn out faster. LED's are more expensive in the short run, but they will not need to be replaced for a few years or more. Also, the Ecosmart LEDs at Home Depot, which are the HD version of the excellent Cree CR6, are self trimming, so you don't have to buy a separate trim ring for each unit. Depending where you live, you can find the HD Ecosmarts for from $25 to $40 each. I have them and love them. They are fully dimmable and cast a very pleasing, bright light. For more information, you can check out the Lighting Forum. There are lighting professionals on there who are very helpful.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I would second the LEDs for the reasons above. Additionally, incandesents are being regulated out of the market (due to their poor efficiency and there being other more efficient alternatives).

• momand3boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have forwarded this to my DH for more discussion ;-)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Legislative changes will make incandescent bulbs hard to find in the future.
    The new LED fit in the standard 6 inch cans and the price keeps dropping.
    We took the plunge to LED
    I made the mistake of using 5 inch cans which limited my options. I was going to go with LED screw bulbs but decided I didn't like the bulb and wanted one with the trim kit.
    Fortunately, DH liked 3000k over the 2700l as he said light should be white and not yellow (regular lights are around 2600k)
    I am glad we switched but will be hard to see the impact cause we had to replace the AC/furnace also. But during the arid summer, our electricity was 100-150 less per month compared to previous yeas.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

You might as well start with LEDs, because you will have to change. I hate florescents, but am going with LEDS where possible as we replace. The cans are easy, and I vote for the ones from HD too.

We are in the process of replacing all the recessed lights in our house with the self rimming ones from HD. We bought just one to try and then one room. We're at about half the house now. They are much cooler (made a big difference over the halogens in our kitchen) and the light is good. Our house is old enough that the rims needed to be replaced anyway (falling apart when we took them down to change a bulb), and we had old gold cans that had to be either cleaned and painted or replaced. The self-rimming kit makes the conversion so much easier and it gives a very clean look.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Another vote for the Home Depot Ecosmart ECO-575L, a.k.a. Cree CR6. Inexpensive given they save you about $12 per light since they include their own trim rings, they give off bright light that's almost indistinguishable from incandescent bulbs (and better than most LEDs), use only 9-1/2 watts each, are easy to install in most standard 6" cans, can be dimmed to 5%, turn on at full brightness immediately (without the short delay on some LEDs) and last just about forever.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I am incandescent all the way... it's one of my luxuries. I like the warmth.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Glad you enjoy them. I saw a forecast that said electricity wholesale prices are expected to double in the coming year.

You'd get more warmth, greater control and a better price buying a nice sweater or blanket.