Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

OT - How to keep house smelling fresh w/ a dog

MIssyV
11 years ago

I posted this on the pet forum, but I am new to that forum and not sure how well traveled it is.

After much research, we decided to get a puppy, a Weimaraner puppy! We are loving Wilson already, but have noticed a "dog smell" already in the house, which was one of hubby's biggest "cons" to getting a dog.

We have hard surface in most of the house, with carpet in bedrooms only (he is not allowed on carpeted areas right now since we are house training) and we are not allowing him on any furniture. I only put food down for him three times a day, and when I do, he eats then the bowl goes back up and gets washed out immediately. Today was rainy, so I tried to wipe his paws on a towel every time he came in from pottying.

Just to clarify, its not an odor of poo or pee, just "dog." :-)

All this to say, I am not really sure how to curb that doggy smell. Any suggestions?

Comments (32)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

We have two dogs but I don't think they really have a doggy odor. However, we've recently decided to try to use an alternative to chemical tick control and I have herbal collars on them now. Since I've put the herb collars on, the dogs smell like rosemary and some other lovely herb smell whenever they come close (replacing the no-smell that they had before). Perhaps you could try the same- an herbal collar of some kind.

I think the reason my dogs don't have an odor (or didn't before) is because their coats are so healthy (They are the softest dogs ever!) We give them fish oil x2 a day which I believe contributes to keeping their coats extremely soft. Their ears are also cleaned out regularly. (Teeth aren't brushed because they are raw fed and it isn't necessary- raw feeding I think is a huge reason for lack of dog smell, but that is definitely not right for everyone).

Hope some of that helps.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh - he is ADORABLE! Good call on keeping him off the carpet. We have mostly tile and hardwoods but carpet in the bedrooms and when we run the vacuum, it does smell like 'dog'. We spray with febreeze and it's fine.

I will say though the dog herself doesn't really smell much - unless she's wet. There is nothing like wet dog smell - even if she's freshly bathed. That said, he looks so young to be 'smelly'. Some dogs have oilier coats that do tend to smell more quickly than others. I am not sure on that breed though. We bathe our dog about once a month or so depending on when she needs it (she is white so it's pretty easy to tell when her coat is dirty) or has rolled in something and that helps. She does not typically have an oily coat.

So baths when needed and febreeze!

FWIW Dh gets crabby sometimes about the dog smell when we vacuum but my opinion is they are well worth the joy they bring. Every good thing is life comes with effort and compromise (except maybe chocolate). Have fun with that puppy (my 'puppy' is 5 already)!

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

What a cutie! It looks like your kids and Wilson are getting along very well.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the training...ours were trained early on that furniture is for people, and they never get up on it. Ours aren't allowed upstairs, because I didn't want to contend with shedding hair in the bedrooms. Teach what your expectations are and they are very smart and eager to please.

As to the smell.....couple of things that I like. You can get large bags of Arm and Hammer baking soda very cheaply at Costco. I will sprinkle it on rugs and let sit for a bit and then vacuum on rugs that are not washable.

Dr Bonners liquid soap. This is something that is one of those All Natural products that is great. It comes in about 6 different kinds all from essential oils. This stuff is great to wash floors, and the dog. It smells great and is very mild.

Large grocery stores and Target usually have 1 or maybe 2 kinds. Whole foods has several kinds. Trader Joes has 1 kind.

It is a really nice product.

It can be mixed with water and put into a spray bottle to clean out the kennel.

I have a lot of allergies, and Fabreeze is something that I just can't use. I also can't use plugins, or fragrances that are artificial. So the Dr. Bonners is great.

Also candles scented with essential oils if you want to have a smell in your house.

Lastly, their collars get stinky...they roll around and the collars get dirtier than you might guess. Just washing the collar sometimes can freshen everything up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr Bonner soap

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

that last look of total contentment on your daughter's face is worth whatever doggy smell you have! She looks so happy! I have two dogs... in general, there isn't much of a smell but every now and then they go to doggy daycare and come home with the worst dog smell. or like you said when its wet out they smell worse.

This past weekend both of them got sprayed by skunks. It happened the night before my kitchen was on a kitchen tour with hundreds of people coming through. Pre-dog me would have freaked out, but peri-dog me takes things more in stride. I was never a dog person - got the dogs for the kids. Got them both from a shelter. I have to say best thing we ever did (although I will admit life is messier and stinkier with them than without them).

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Animals have smells. Wet dog really smells. I use febreeze.

We have a dog and a cat. You will get use to it.

When we got our cat, the kids and I picked it up during the day. DH got home and said when he walked in, he smelled cat. He realized our house will always have that smell. I must say I never smell it but I'm sure its there. Its something you have to live with. Just keep the dog reasonably clean.

Really cute dog!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Some dogs do smell more than others. Some breeds do. I don't know if Weims are a stinky breed. Diet changes and bathing can sometimes help. Febreeze can help.

He might outgrow it. He's all baby hormones now and his stench will probably change when he matures. For better or worse, though?

My dog smells close up but his stink doesn't spread to the house fortunately (my mother in law has promised to tell me if it does).

• nap101
    11 years ago

That's one pampered pet! Check out that tiny bed. And it's obvious that cute pup is going nowhere!

Get him used to taking baths and make it fun. Other than that just keep him healthy and clean. Hopefully your hubby falls in love too.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Our new boy is Dillard, a greyhound rescue. Greyhounds have thin skins and very short hair. They have no smell and they don't shed. However, he does pass gas and it's bad. I went to the dollar store and bought bottles of knock off perfumes for $1 each. They are in various places in the house and a few spritzes and my house smells like Chanel #5.

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

Ohhh a Weimie Baby! So cute!

Different dogs have different "stinks". We have Goldens and they are ripe 11.95 months out of the year. :D Thing is is that they get groomed often and don't live in our bedroom, yet still smell like wet leaves, it's just the breed. You have hard surfaces and can keep the hounds from the bedrooms. That will help a ton! Just mop or Swiffer and the fam will be fine!

• deedles
    11 years ago

What a sweet little poopy! I agree with beagles that raw fed dogs smell less poochy. And their poop turns white and crumbles into dust in a few days... bonus.

I had a Lotus ozone sanitizer and the ozone water sprayed into the air or onto rugs/curtains/whatever wiped out any odor at all. Like eliminated it. Too bad it broke and hasn't been replaced.

Am I alone in that I actually like the smell of dogs? And especially puppies!

He's really cute, though!

• carp123
    11 years ago

He's a cutie!! I have a 7 year old weim and i don't really think he smells..but my mom sometimes says she can smell 'dog'. I have zero carpet. I'll tell you one thing..my floors haven't been clean for 7 years! Because he doesn't stay still much and follows me EVERYWHERE i go, there is always dog hair on the floor. The I-robot goes daily.

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Puppies have a stronger smell that they grow out of. Maybe it's for their mothers' benefit. I don't think Weims are stinky, so hopefully it's just the concentrated puppy smell. He is absolutely beautiful! Is he on any medication?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I was gonna say 'give him to the neighbors!' but gee, he's just too cute! and the kids would be broken hearted - lol!

I don't know - I've just about always had dogs. only 1 now who is mostly outside for now. We're working on 'time inside'. She's rowdy and wants me to play all the time - so back out she goes after a few hrs. Then I go out there and play with her every hr or 2 (during normal hrs).

i'd say baths and keeping the floor swept up if fur loss. And the diet. Some diets cause more stink than others.

btw, he'll need a bigger bed. soon. lol!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

When we first walk into the house, we smell a very subtle odor of paint (even though it was BM aura, and 18 months ago). I do not smell dog. We have a 2yo golden, whom i hasten to add that we love dearly, before i launch in to my clean diatribe

These are some precautions we take:

1. The dog herself is groomed professionally 1x mo. Her groomer is near my salon, so we typically go on the same day. She usually looks better at the end of the day then I do, but, hey, she is only 2.
    2. When she is wet, she either stays outside until she is dry, or she has to go in her "house" (crate, which anyone who has crate trained, you know they love and consider their "den" and often go into when the door is wide open, but I digress). Her crate is in a secondary entry way with marble floors.
    3. If she is wet, we take out her dog bed/mat and wash it. It dries very quickly so not too much trouble.
    4. We wash her dog bed/mat 1x a week in any event.
    5. Like most goldens, she trained quickly (better yet, she was house trained while we were in a rental during construction!) and has never had an accident. That helps.
    6. The dog is not allowed on any carpeted areas or on any furniture ... the wood, marble and slate floors won't hold an animal smell in most cases.
    7. We have cleaning people clean three days a week. Not practical for everyone, but the point remains the more you clean the less pet issues you have. We don't even have shedding issues.
    8. I am not sure why, but it seems to me that some breeds do smell more than others ... or is that my imagination?
    9, You may be smelling pet food, and that triggers a "dog" image. Think about that when choosing and placing food.

He/she is gorgeous. Enjoy

• skyedog
    11 years ago

What a cutie! I too have a smelly dog so I know what you're up against. She has a long, double coat and I have never known another dog that smells as bad as her.

Basically we just bathe the dog every 10 to 14 days. I've got a nice set up in the laundry room with a pull out faucet and she knows the drill. She even stands and rotates herself around to be blow dried. The whole thing takes less than 30 minutes. If it's nice out and she can just air dry it's less than 15.

I recommend Isle of Dog Shampoo. We use the everyday clean coating shampoo and it helps a lot. I don't care for the smell of it in the bottle but once she is dry, she doesn't really have any smell at all. It's a miracle product for us. I've tried a lot of different dog shampoos and this one is by far the most effective one. We use to have to bathe her every 8 to 10 days but with Isle of dog we can often go two weeks.

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

I've had different breeds of dogs my entire life and they all have a "doggy" smell - just like people all have different scents. Leave your windows open to air out the house, wash him / her every few weeks, wash the bedding often (I use vinegar in the bleach cup and our regular Tide in the wash to get rid of the smell), use carpet deodorizer and learn to live with some smell. The unconditional love that little furball will give to you, your husband, and your kids will be worth it!

• User
    11 years ago

Do a vet visit and have a skin scrape done. It's possible that he might have a skin condition that is contributing to his smell. Plus he's still young enough that he probably needs booster shots until his immune system fully develops. Have him wormed as well. Having his digestion be "off" from worms can make some animals have an odor. If everything checks out at the vet, then have the vet recommend a shampoo that will be gentle on his puppy skin for bathing and teach the kids how to bathe him without drowning the bathroom or getting soap in the dog's eyes.

I also echo the fact that low quality food makes dogs smell doggier. It also makes for more poo to be cleaned up. Our shelter uses Natura or Blue Buffalo as those are the lowest cost premium foods that we can get a deal on and still feel good about feeding to them. When we started, we used whatever brand was donated for food, and we had so many digestive issues from the animals that we just had to budget for consistent good food. It really made a difference.

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I would guess he is still too new to you. Give it a little time. And dogs do smell more when they are wet.

• function_first
    11 years ago

You've gotten good suggestions. Just for clarification, the Febreeze mentioned was FOR CARPETS, and UPHOLSTERY, not the dog. Sorry, I don't mean to offend you, or mean to imply that you assumed anything of the sort, but this board gets a lot of traffic/readers, and you never know how somebody out in cyberspace might interpret the suggestion, hate to think of some poor pup out there being mistakenly doused in Febreeze....
    I echo the above thoughs/suggestions, and also want to add that you can give a command to the action of "shaking water off the fur" -- we call it "rattle" and if you teach your dog to "rattle" on command then on those rainy days it will cut down on the stink that comes in with them (towels work, too), but if your dog is a swimmer, you'll want them to rattle on command to get them dry "Over there" instead of waiting until they hop out of a lake and over to you to do it. That will help YOU smell less doggy. :-)

Our previous dog (a golden) was not allowed on the furniture. Our current dogs (English Bulldogs) are allowed up on the sofa (for our benefit -- they're basically 50-60 pound lap dogs), so use a thick quilt to show them when they are or are not welcome on the sofa, we've also given that a command we use "blanket" for that. They've learned that if "blanket" (the command) is there, they can get up and sit on it, and if it's not they're to stay on the floor. Before guests come we can take it down and the doggy odors (at least a lot of them) and most of the hair go with it.

Depending on the breed and their innate issues, you may be able to use a little doggie deodorizer. Again, English Bulldogs are prone toward having allergies, so we can't use anything perumed on them/around them, not even air freshers, but with our Golden we could squirt a doggie deodorizer on him and it helped a little.

Congratulations to you and your family, you've done a life-changing thing, and have many happy memories ahead. :-)

Kris

• cmm1
    11 years ago

Cute puppy! We are currently owned by our 3rd weim. I feel their coats tend to get a little oily if they are not bathed regularly. Use an organic shampoo as the breed tends to have skin problems. Make sure you rinse the dog well. Any shampoo residue can irritate their coats. Clean the bedding once a week and the crate too. Swiffer hard surfaces daily. Our weims have always loved to roll in nasty things so keep an eye out for that too. We live on 12 acres so there is a lot to find!

On a different note. PLEASE get dog obedience training. These are very smart dogs and they can end up running the house if you don't have good training. They can be high strung so lots of walks and play time are crucial. Our weims have given us many years of joy and I can't imagine life without them.

Good luck with your new family member. There is absolutely nothing cuter than a weim puppy!

• cmm1
    11 years ago

Cute puppy! We are currently owned by our 3rd weim. I feel their coats tend to get a little oily if they are not bathed regularly. Use an organic shampoo as the breed tends to have skin problems. Make sure you rinse the dog well. Any shampoo residue can irritate their coats. Clean the bedding once a week and the crate too. Swiffer hard surfaces daily. Our weims have always loved to roll in nasty things so keep an eye out for that too. We live on 12 acres so there is a lot to find!

On a different note. PLEASE get dog obedience training. These are very smart dogs and they can end up running the house if you don't have good training. They can be high strung so lots of walks and play time are crucial. Our weims have given us many years of joy and I can't imagine life without them.

Good luck with your new family member. There is absolutely nothing cuter than a weim puppy!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

lol, yes I meant to say spray febreeze on any fabric even in the same room as the dog, not the dog. I find that fabric/carpet will absorb odors even without the direct contact with the dog. There is also febreeze for the air. Food definately makes a difference in how the dog smells.

Just a quick story. We got our dog a crib mattress as he got older. We put a sheet on it. Well our dog has lots and lots of fur. Sometimes he would be a little damp and lay on his bed. The mattress is covered in plastic with the sheet over it. Well Sparky started to smell odd. The vet said we must put a comforter directly on the mattress and then the sheet. Changing frequently as if it gets damp their skin gets funky and they smell. We got it quickly and it cleared up almost immedately when we made the changes.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you ALL !!! It was so fun to read your posts, I found myself smiling often :-) I will give a few things a try. He goes to the vet this afternoon, so will ask about food and of course be sure there are no health concerns causing the doggy smell. Its not a pungent odor, just dog smell. Like many of you said, we have been without a pet for the nearly 14 yrs we have been married, so its a noticeable change in the air :)

To all you Weim owners out there specifically, I welcome ANY and ALL advice! In fact, feel free to email directly at mvandemark001@woh.rr.com since this isn't a pet forum.

We didn't take this decision lightly and frankly, came up against some opposition in choosing this breed because of their physical demands. But, we felt all the great benefits of Weims outweighed this potential "con" and we could put the time and training into him to get the great family pet we wanted. He will start puppy kindergarten the first week of Nov (because that's when the next session starts). I work about 6-10 hours a week, and all three kids are in school full time now, so I am confident we have the time to train him.

Thank you all, I appreciate it!

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Mr Wilson saw the vet yesterday morning, his stool was clear and his heart sounded healthy. However, the vet said he has a hunch Wilson is trying to get sick. He just doesn't look / act like a puppy should. He told me what to be watching for.....by that evening, he had diarrhea :-(

We got him started on some medicine first thing this morning. He is sleeping a lot, which the vet said to let him do. He ate his breakfast this morning like normal, so hoping that is a good sign.

Apparently he over taxed his little system by taking a 4 hr car ride to get to us, leaving his litter too soon, he was vaccinated and wormed 3x before coming to us, and we bathed him the weekend he arrived (apparently that is a stressor for a puppy too). Not too mention it is just stress to be in a new home away from his litter and familiar surroundings.

Poor guy, I am feeling awful and hoping the stress induced low immune system won't allow him to get anything too serious. In the meantime, we are snuggling a ton. Its like having a newborn for me today - I just sit and hold him.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

In my opinion, Febreeze is never the answer. It is not allowed in our home. I wouldn't consider it if you have small children.

For more information on the dangers of Febreeze see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Febreeze dangers

• deedles
    11 years ago

Ditto the febreeze concern. "Worse living through petrochemicals"

So amazing that with all the possibilities for products in the world, big industry keeps making the ones that poison us.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Wilson is adorable!! I absolutely love puppies and have a soft spot for Weimaraners. I'm sorry to hear Wilson is stressed and sick. I really hope he gets better soon. I have a big German Shepherd and from time to time our house can get a dog smell. I recommend getting a few odor crystal bags from Drs. Foster & Smith. You simply hang them somewhere in the room and somehow it absorbs the odors. (I often put them on a hanger and just hang them off a door knob or the back of a chair for a day or two.) To "recharge" you just hang them in the sunlight.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

He is such a cute puppy! I don't have a dog in the house right now but am still interested in hearing how to keep the house fresh. My house always smells musty to me.

• function_first
    11 years ago

Awww, I hope Mr. Wilson is soon feeling more puppy-like. In the meantime I think snuggling with him is the best medicine around, and not just for Wilson, either. :-) Enjoy.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

MissyV I was absolutely shocked at how much puppies slept. When I first got Molly (my first ever dog) I was so nervous she was sick because she seemed lethargic and there were some days she slept almost all day. The vet said it is natural/normal though and as she grew up a little, she definitely got her puppy spirit!

Seems like you are doing everything right w/ your dog. I wouldn't worry about a few little puppy illnesses either. Molly got demodex when she was about 6 months old and Bailey came to us (from a trusted breeder) w/ a little case of kennel cough and w/ giardia. They were both fine after the proper treatment and are fine and strong today at 6 and 5 1/2 respectively- I think a few little bumps in the road are normal w/ a new puppy. I would say that you should be careful about getting puppy vaccines w/ a dog who isn't 100 percent feeling well- a lot of vets will give them anyway to be on schedule and I would never give a vaccine to a puppy who has a compromised immune system (of course, we do minimal vaccines only as required by law anyway b/c of the vaccine dangers, but especially be careful when they are sick).

• cardamon
    11 years ago

MissyV Oh my gosh Wilson is so puppy handsome! We had labs and only when wet I noticed that special smell. I just had to keep up with baths and washing their beds. I don't think our house smelled ever. After we lost our labs when they reached 14 and 14 1/2 I had put one of the dog beds in our closet. I couldn't donate it or throw it out yet. My son said Mom come in here (the closet) and he shut the door. Standing there he said doesn't it smell good? So I guess that dog smell in her bed had a good memory for him. Me too. We have a Cavalier puppy now. Much smaller. Good luck with your new baby.
    Not to hijack but if you see this Beaglesdoitbetter would you tell me the name of the herbal collar you are using. The others bother me. Thanks.