Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a small over the range microwave

Posted by pattypearl (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 25, 08 at 20:39

Really need help. I'm trying to find a small over the range microwave - would like the height to be less than the usual 16". I researched the "spacemaker" brand but they are all 16" high, 29" wide and 15" deep.
The microwave I'm looking for will only be used occasionally to reheat coffee and food so I do not need a high-end model.
Also does anyone have any idea about the space between the bottom of the microwave and top of range? Is there some standard to be followed???
If I get a microwave with a 16" height, I'll only have 15" between bottom of microwave and top of range. Unfortunately I have no counter space, above range is my only solution.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a small over the range microwave

Don't have an answer regarding smaller ones, but the product documentation should guide you as to the recommended distance between the range and and the MW.

I've attached a PDF link to the OTR model I'm getting as an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE OTR microwave specs

o

I too am looking for an OTR microwave that is less than 16"(H). I had a GE Spacesaver in the past but it seems that they have increased the size. Please let me know if you find anything that is smaller. Thanks!

o

I have a Samsung, the height is 16". The distance between the bottom of the microwave to the top of the burner grate is 20" (21" to the stovetop). I don't know what the standard distance is supposed to be. I cook a lot and this is working out fine. I personally would not want the space between the stove & the micro. to be any less than what I have now.

Our old kitchen had a micro. on the counter. Before the remodel, I duc taped a box above our range to simulate where the micro. would be. I didn't actually cook with it there...just kept it there a few hours while I got used to it. It gave me an idea as to how it would feel to be working at the stove with this new addition.

Another idea you might want to consider... Since you say you do not use the micro. that often, how about putting it in a spot somewhere just next to or outside your kitchen? I don't know your kitchen layout and how it relates to the other rooms in your home. Maybe it's open to a family room that has a spot for a kitchen cart/workbench? Some of these I have seen look pretty nice... Williams Sonoma has several, Target has some,Macys Home Store, and I'm sure Ikea has them, as well. See link below.

Here's a pic of our Samsung OTR microwave
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma -Carts/Workstations

o

In one house, I added a shelf above the range and placed a regular compact microwave on it, with this Ikea wooden box thing next to it to fill the space perfectly. The microwave was only about 10" high, the ones meant for OTR have all the extra ventilation. This might have been a GE, I am not sure. Then I added a downdraft for ventilation for the stove. It's one option, anyway. It was the only way I had room! If you can't use a downdraft, perhaps you could get one of the vents that goes into the backsplash or something....

o

Pattypearl: there is a GE Profile Spacemaker that measures 11 3/16in(H) x 12 9/32in(D) x 23 25/32in(W). It is 800 watts which would be plenty to heat coffee, etc. The model# is: PEM31DMWW (white) but you can get it in stainless, bisque and black. I saw this online just a week ago. Good Luck!

o

The "standard" height on most OTR MW's is 16"+ and getting taller. If tyou are replacing a vent hood with an OTR, you probably will have to modify the cabinet above it to safely install the OTR. Please do NOT install any wooden shelves over the range to put a countertop MW on! It's a FIRE HAZARD! You need to have non combustible surfaces above a range (of ANY kind) and do not need so solve one problem with another.

o

The minimum clearance is 18 inches.I am having the same problem. Have you found one that fits over the range but isnt so big it is too close to the cooktop?

o

I too, have been going crazy finding a 'streamlined' microwave.
I've spent many hours on the net looking for such.
So far the best I can find is a Frigidaire microwaveFMV157G
which measures H:15 3/4 D:15 1/32 W;29 7/8

o

I need to replace my over the range microwave/hood but I have not been able to find one that is as small as my present one (15 1/2" high by 14" deep). Any ideas? Thanks!

o

I am having the same issue. My current microwave is 15" high and I already feel it is borderline too close to the cooktop (only 16" away). Pretty sure that's not up to code. Now that my current microwave has died, I'm searching for a microwave to replace it that will still fit in that space.

Let me know if any of you came up with a solution!

Thanks

o

I am having the same problem, too. When we built our house 17 years ago, the original over the range microwave was just fine. That particular microwave stopped working a few years after. When it was replaced, I noticed a considerable loss of space between microwave and range. We now want to start replacing our old appliances with stainless steel and I've had dimension problems on just about everything. It seems all of the new microwaves are at least 16" high, regardless of the cubic feet, which doesn't make sense to me. I can't afford to lose another inch. I only have about 15" between cooktop and microwave now. I may consider putting in a vent instead and buying a very compact microwave (used only for reheating) for the counter. I hate to do that because I really don't need more on my counters, but I don't really know what to do. I certainly don't intend to replace all of my cabinets to fit in new appliances. Just like Olivia, I need a solution!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here