Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which is the better choice please

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 20:37

I have an older kitchen and want to add pull out sliding drawers to my base cabinet.
Mostly this will be used for pans , pots and maybe some corning wear.
I know alot of folks on here have these so my question is.
Do you prefer the chrome wire ones or the wood inserts.
There are so many different web sites to order from that I am overwelmed
Anyone have any good sites to order from or if not just tell me which one you think is preferable.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which is the better choice please

I like the wooden ones...but then,that is the only kind I have had.

o

Wood.
Things fall through the wires.

o

Thanks Phoggie and a2gemini, I also thought about things falling thru wires but because these are base cabinets and only holding pots, pans and casserole dishes I started to think that would not be a problem. anyone else have preferences

o
RE: Which is the better choice?

I am shamelessly bumping my own post because I would really like more opinions.
I hope I am allowed to do this.

o

2 brands are hafele and rev a shelf...the websites containerstore.com or stacks and stacks.com offer a variety of items-good to browse through their kitchen pantry/drawer/ and cabinet options. I have ordered from container store-efficient and no hassles.

o

I have wood pull-out drawers in my pantry. I have the wire baskets under my sink. I would prefer wire. I notice the wood drawers collect all kinds of things: dust and dirt that flies around and collects in the corners. I would prefer that the dust and dirt fall through the holes of the wire racks and settle at the bottom of the cabinet, underneath the pots and pans, hidden away..... : )

Also, if the pots/pans are, for some reason, slightly damp when put away, they would more easily air dry sitting on a wire rack rather than a piece of wood.

What would you be storing in that space anyway that would be small enough to fall through the holes? I definitely think the wire racks make more sense.

o

I would go with wood. When I did mine because of the odd sizes of cabinets, it was cost/space efficent to have someone make them. Am sure you will enjoy them.

o

We had retro-fitted wooden slide-out shelves in our lower cabinets in our last kitchen. They weren't as good as drawers, but way better than fixed shelves. If I were doing it again, I might go with this sort of thing instead:

We have 3 of the Elfa mesh baskets in our closet that we use for laundry and like them a lot, although ours are part of a whole Elfa closet system. The wire baskets might be better for pots and pans. Those baskets also come in small, med., large referring to the depth, depending on what you want to put in there. I'm not saying don't do wooden shelves, just that these are well made and easy to install. If the pre-made sizes don't work for you though, you might as well hire someone to come in and make shelves for your particular cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Container Store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here