Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1121

Tipping suggestions

melanie1121
15 years ago

Hi,

Ive had a contractor in my house for months working on various projects. My last and final project is the installation of my new kitchen. The "crew" consists mainly of a project manager (the contractor's son) and two men who have been working in the house from the beginning. Has anyone tipped? If so, how much is appropriate? Feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Melanie1121

Comments (14)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I don't tip the contractor or his crew. The only folks I tip are the delivery guys and install guys (counters). The delivery guys delivered and brought in my subzero and french range, which was a chore given a very narrow door and hall. It was two separate trips, each time I gave them 20 bucks each. I also tip movers 50 each (we have five floors...they work hard) but guys like the contractor...I pay mine $100 an hour...that's not tip territory in my point of view.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I stupidly tipped my 80.00/hr plumber, I think I gave him a 50.00 tip, because he and the countertop installers did a good job on a very hot day. He put in the DW, faucet, and Instant hot and put the flange on for the GD. He was not able to finish the GD install because the sink adhesive had to set first. He came back for 15 min work the next day, chatted for another 15 min. and then charged me an 80.00 minimum. I went from being happy with his work to I will not call him again. There was no sense of appreciation at all. On the other hand, the countertop installers who left with a tip, my old preformed pond liner, snapple and ice cream, were very appreciative. My guess is that since they probably make a lot less, they value each additional dollar a little more.

Your experience might be different. Just know it is possible and you can live with it if just gets kind of shrugged off.

Sue

• janwad
    15 years ago

I think tipping in general varies wildly by area in the US.

Most professionals don't expect tips.

The best tips are gift cards from gas stations. It really lights their eyes up!

• weissman
    15 years ago

Unless they did something over and above what you contracted for, a tip is not required. Tipping is fine for waiters/waitresses who are paid less than minimum with the expectation that they will be tipped.

• marabklyn
    15 years ago

I tip almost everyone - I know they get paid but I just feel it leads to a better relationship. Starting with my doorman, then the guys who did my demo and cabinet installation, the appliance delivery guys, the tileman's assistant - who did 95% of the work, etc. I did not tip the electrician or plumbers as they are the bosses. IMO the couple of hundred it might total when the job is over is a minor amount in comparison with the total cost of renovation.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

I generally tip people who are employees, and not the owners/contractactors. I would like to tip the guys who are doing all the heavy lifting, tearing up, etc.

For instance, my GC, whom I like very much and who is doing a very good job, is getting the contracted, agreed upon price. However, I will give something to his very hard-working assistant when the job is done.

• User
    15 years ago

Gas cards and restaurant certificates are always appreciated by those who do much of the grunt work and may not be highly compensated for it. For the bosses the best tip is a letter of recommendation that they can use to entice future customers. Have a copy framed and present it to them at the end of the job if you're really pleased with their work.

• mrs_tlc
    15 years ago

I think it depends on what part of the country you're from. I'm originally from NJ and up there we tipped everyone. It was just expected. I now live in FL and am married to a midwestern guy who says you pay someone to do a job and there is no reason to tip above that. That if they do an extra good job it's their bosses job to reward them. So...... we didn't tip, but the only contractors we had here were the granite installers and the guys who put the new ceiling in and we send that guy ALOT of other work.

• User
    15 years ago

The only tip I'd offer any contractor or person hired to work in my home is by way of words, "Do a good job for us, and we'll give you a good reference!"

• outonalimb_2007
    15 years ago

I am in the middle of a gut remodel (Chicago burbs) and truthfully it did not occur to me to tip anyone. I am paying over $40k to my GC (who is subbing some of the work out), and I consider all of the people who have done work here to be professionals. Would I tip a doctor? A lawyer? Maybe I would have tipped they guys who did the demo, but not the electricians or plumbers etc.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate all of your suggestions. Thus far I have tipped the delivery people but not the plumber or the electrician. I will most likely tip the two workers who have been in my home for months (how much exactly I haven't decided). However I decided not to tip the project manager who happens to be the contractor's son. A nice letter will do.
    Thanks,
    Melanie

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

As a contractor (of a different sort - I have a carpet cleaning business) who goes into peoples' homes & offices, I do, on rare occasion, get a tip. To me it's an oddity - I'm not saying it isn't appreciated, but I'm charging for my services & a tip is simply not expected. If my helpers go over & above with their work on a job, I'm the one who rewards them.

On the other hand, a snack, some fresh produce or a plant from their garden, some small object that I've admired & they have plenty of - that sort of thing is appreciated beyond money, and this is the sort of thing I give the people who come to my house. Fruit from my fruit trees, coffee or tea or cookies freshly made.

Just my perspective :)

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Good question. I tipped the guys working for my contractor, because i was so thrilled with their work. I wouldnt tip the actual contractor (boss) and he wouldnt expect it. not that he expected it for his guys, either, but it was much appreciated and my philosophy is, You never know when you might need one of those guys in a hurry.
    My plumber is his own boss, so while i do not tip him, i usually round up the amount on the check i give him. I had an electrician in, who works for a whole outfit, and i was so happy with his work that i said, I would like to add a little something for you. he replied, "No, please, you dont have to give me a tip, really, i just want you to be happy." ( i gave it to him anyway).
    We have had so many horrible workers that i just feel like i want to sweeten the deal with the good guys.
    I am a concert pianist and though we are NEVER, EVER tipped, i think that if someone said, "you played SO amazingly tonight, i just want to add a little something to your fee", I would be pleasantly surprised. Not that that would ever happen. ( i mean the tipping part, not the playing amazingly part. :) )

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Contractors get new Duramax Diesel pickups. Installers get Spring Break trips to Cancun. :-)

Ya gotta-- it's in the rules. :-)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!