Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Progress! We picked a tile and the vent hood is up

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 20:26

My camera pooped out on me before I could take a picture of the hood, so I'll post it later. Still have to have the cabinet guy put in the front of it anyway.

But here is the tile we picked. I was playing around with it today to see which direction looked best. The flash was on in the middle picture and it shows lighter and redder than it really is, but it also shows the color movement in the tile which I think will hide dirt.

It seems that so many people put wood floors in their kitchen and we considered that but were afraid of the wate issues, and we briefly considered a stained concrete floor but there is just too much damage from the previous tile. We didn't want a light tile and none of the medium colors looked good. We kept going back to wood or stained concrete and I think this look remarkably similar to stained concrete. It's a really good match with both the cabinets and adjacent wood floor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Progress! We picked a tile and the vent hood is up

I really like it - I think it's beautiful! And with the white appliances, wall trim and light counter top it will balance out. Your wall color will probably be lighter too - not too many people put a dark color on the kitchen walls.

boy, soon you'll be done with all of this - that should make you very, very happy! It'll be a wonderful kitchen and well worth all of the work, time, money and stress.

o

The floor tile is really gorgeous. Are you going with square joint, have you thought about a running bond?
Can't wait to see the hood!
Congratulations on all the great progress, you must be so happy.

o

I love that rich tile...nice choice.

o

Probably a square joint localeater. The tile seem to be made so they continue the pattern from one to the next.

Steph, I'm still thinking a blue-gray color for the walls, probably something a little bolder than on that back wall. That was a hodge podge of color to hide the gouges in the sheetrock, left behind from stripping the wallpaper. I never intended to wait this long to do something about it.

o

Ooo. It's pretty!

o

Oh my! That is a seriously beautiful tile!

o

Love it! What is it?

o

That tile is gorgeous! It will look great with the cabinets and counters (they look like mine!).

o

Did that back door ever get fixed?

I saw the demolition pictures, and you don't need a repeat of the moldy wood and cabinet destruction.

Those white fluffy molds, BTW, are not the "toxic mold" you have heard about. It was the common "dry rot" fungus.

o

That tile is really pretty...it almost looks like slate, in the pictures :)

o

Very nice! That's a rich looking tile.

o

The tile is Marazzi Tile, Imperial Rust color. Linked here

lazygardens, we did get the door fixed, and got all that mold/fungus out. I found out the same thing you did, so thank heavens it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Still ruined all the wood so it had to be replaced though.

Here's our hood. Still waiting for the duct though. After getting pricing, dh decided to do that himself. Supposed to be cool this weekend but dh may have other plans. Bummer
Photobucket

o

Beautiful tile, marti! Love the colors--now isn't DH happy to have new tile?

Oh, and I love the way the knotty pine on the range hood ties in with the cabinets. ;)

o

LOL mama_goose. That piece of pine is just temporary until the cabinet maker builds us a front to match the cabinets. We just don't have the tools for that.

Yes, he is happy to have it picked, but would be happier still if it were set and finished. I haven't found anyone to lay it to my satisfaction yet, and am contemplating doing it myself. Dh is NOT on board with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here