Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Pls measure space below undermount Silgranite sink

lisa_a
9 years ago

I've been driving myself crazy, trying to figure out how much room I'll have below my undermount Silgranite Diamond Super Single sink and then it dawned on me; I could ask a fellow GWer to get this measurement for me. Why didn't I think of this sooner?!

Would someone please measure the span between the bottom of their Silgranite sink (the left side, not the right side w/ drain) and the cab base bottom? That will help me figure out how much room I have for a pull-out garbage can system.

I thank you from the bottom of my kitchen-crazed heart!

Comments (10)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I have the Precis, which I believe is the same depth, or very close. I have 21.5" from bottom of sink to cabinet floor.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I just measured mine quickly and perhaps not 100% accurately. And of course, I could only find the metric tape measure---it came to 51 cm.... Which is 20.4 inches.

Just wanted to add that I LOVE my super single sink!!!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ctycdm and heidihausfrau. Odd that your measurements are 1 1/2" off from each other (heidi, unless the Google calculator that I used is wrong, 51 cm to just a hair over 20").

Anyone else able and willing to check this distance for me? I'd like to know whether I have that extra 1 1/2" that ctycdm has so.

Thanks!

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I have a Blanco Performa Medium 1-3/4. The specs say that it is 10 inches deep as opposed to the Diamond Super Singles depth of 9-1/2 inches.
    I have 19 inches from the bottom of my sink to the cabinet floor.
    I do have a rev-a-shelf trash pullout (#4WCBM-15DM-1) under the sink. It is a 35qt. size. The waste basket itself was just a little bit too tall to slide in and out but rather than buy a shorter one I just cut it down about a half inch.
    It seems like you would have no trouble fitting the model I used under your sink because your sink is not as deep as mine.
    The Rev-a-Shelf website does state the clearance heights needed for all there different models. I am sure that other brands would also have information on the specs.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Should have added my counters are 36.5" high, so that could account for at least 1/2" ...

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, yes, that would make a difference, ctycdm! Our counters will be the standard 36".

Thanks, badgergal! I saved the photo of the garbage pull-out that you posted earlier so it's helpful to have the dimension to go with that photo.

I saw the minimums listed on Rev-a-Shelf's site but I thought that was for the cab opening and all the photos showed the cans shorter than the door. But since you wrote that you only have 19" and had to trim the can, then I can safely assume that the 19 3/8" clearance required is for the can clearance.

I'm considering the same thing in a double can, not a single, so you've helped me figure out that it will work. It will be a squeaker but it will work. Yay! It does, however, mean that I can't get the fancy one with the servo drive. Bummer. But it needs 20 5/8" clearance, which would mean cutting the can down by quite a bit. Oh, well. It would have been nifty to have that but it was also expensive so I'm glad of the $$ savings.

btw, did I tell you that I was in Pewaukee in June visiting my aunt and cousin? Do you ever eat at Seester's on the lake? My cousin's daughter worked there over the summer. I always enjoy going back to visit but for once, I wised up and didn't go during the hot, humid days of summer. :)

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Lisa, now that you mention it I recall that you have Wisconsin connections. Yes, I have been to Seesters on more than one occasion. They had a fire at the end of Aug. and were supposed to be reopened by now but went I past it last week and it is still closed. Maybe they should join GW and get some advice on their kitchen remodel.
    Good luck with getting all the details for your kitchen squared away. Is your remodel underway yet?

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, I've got Wisconsin roots. And glad of them. :)

I knew Seesters had closed but I hadn't heard why. How awful.

We haven't started our remodel yet but we hope to soon. Just waiting to hear when we can get on our GC's schedule. Fingers crossed we start in time to be finished by Christmas. I'm so tired of living in a semi-finished home. We had a toilet flood the upstairs 3 years ago (good grief, has it really been that long?) and we're still living with patched drywall, missing carpet and molding. We've addressed the upstairs bathroom but family obligations put the rest of the repairs on hold. DH says he can't wait to get started. I can't wait to be done!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, meant to ask if you think it would be possible to retrofit the Rev-a-Shelf garbage pull-out with the Utrusta servo drive from Ikea. It would be great to push the cab door with a knee and have it pop open when my hands are full of icky stuff for the garbage.

Here is a link that might be useful: UTRUSTA Push opener

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Lisa, sorry I don't know if the Utustra can be retrofit to rev-a-shelf trash pullouts. I looked at the device and saw a picture of it mounted in someone's cabinet. To me it looks like you have to have some space behind the pull out for the unit. The box of my rev-a- motion pullout touches the back wall of my sink base cabinet. It appears that there is no room to mount the Utrusta but I am pretty clueless about things like that. The inside of my cabinet from the back wall to the front edge of the face frame is 22-1/4"

The rev-a-motion has a gas spring that makes it easy to open and it has soft close. I often push it with my knee to close it but that doesn't work for opening it.

Others have said they were able to use the Utrusta in there cabinets so maybe do a post asking what brand of trash pullout they used or if anyone has used the Utrusta with a rev-a-shelf pull out.

Wish I could be more helpful. Hope you find the answer.