Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montclairnj

Advice on Kitchen Plan - Reno + Bump out

MontclairNJ
11 years ago

First-time poster, long-time reader...thanks for all the great advice and inspiration.

We are going to bump out the back of the house for about a 10x20 foot expansion, using parts of the old kitchen for a mudroom, bathroom and pantry (all of which we currently lack). Just as importantly, we want to be able to connect more easily into the backyard and the grill area. The house is set on a hill and at the back of the house, the first floor is about 6 feet above grade.

My question is figuring out the best/right plan - we really want to have more seating/entertaining in and around the kitchen and would like a peninsula or island and a medium dining round. In addition, the kids eating area in the current plan is so far away from the kitchen and it's about a foot or 2 too small to actually function. We want to keep the formal dining room, but open up the choppy back of the house.

The grid is 1x1 foot - and the yellow space is the new addition. I would appreciate any and all thoughts, criticism, best practices and lessons learned. Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Too many places to eat and too choppy a result. You can have all of what you want in the existing space without adding on and save 75-100K. I'm not understanding where the back entry and the back stairs go though to be able to offer up a layout. We also need more of an idea of the adjacent spaces and their relationship to the kitchen and dining areas.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hi,

It is a little hard to understand your layout, since it doesn't have windows and doors.

So, for example, is your stove on the wall that faces your back yard? Wouldn't you want your sink there? Also, you say the new area is in yellow ... but the mudroom and PR also look like you added space? Are you taking from another room?

Is the back entry to the backyard? If so then what are they steps near the round table?

PS I moved from Montclair! Maybe we know each other.

• peridot44
    11 years ago

I'm no expert. But I think I read that it's not ideal to let a fridge interrupt a nice long run of counter. Why? I don't know. It's just something I read.

Also, I think your 7' breakfast room is way too small. A 2-seat table could fit (maybe). But not a 4 seat.

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

I pretty much agree with what everyone else said - except I'm not so sure you can get a good design without an addition.

I see the new steps by the table area, but I don't think an entrance there would work - just not enough space. As someone else said, the space may be too small for the table as well, much less an entry door.

Can you please explain how the slope of the yard works, from what you have done, it looks like the ground drops off toward the lower left hand corner of the house, but is not so low on the right bottom or top left. Correct?

• MontclairNJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks much for all the comments - sorry the excel layout leaves a lot to be desired to understand the flow to the rest of the house and the exterior - which is pretty important. I'll try to lay something out - but basically, the backdoor comes in off the driveway which is at say elevation 0, then there is a first step down into the first part of back yard, about where the steps down are from the EIK that takes you down to -4...to a lower bluestone patio that goes into a walkout basement right below the butler pantry. Then, the backyard slopes down yet again another 4 get to -8 total to the right of the end of the house. I will draw up.

What do you think right min. size is for a 4-top round EIK?

In my "excel" lingo, the black rectangles are doorways and the orange are windows, so the thought was to create a floor to ceiling glassed in EIK, which is the best view of the backyard. (Top of plan is north, so is going to be south facing which is a concern). The door out of the EIK is the secondary access to the backyard - and the grill.

Good point about the location of the refrigerator -
    thanks again for all comments...

• tracie.erin
    11 years ago

It looks like your measurements are off between the Existing and Proposed Layouts. In the Existing it's 18' from DR top wall to Back Entry bottom wall (not including Kids' Eating Area). In the Proposted Layout the same space is 15'. I have some ideas for you if you say the Existing is correct.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio