Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylace

Show me pics of your microwave in your island

sylace
15 years ago

I am designing my kitchen and wanted to put the microwave in the island but I am now having doubts.

Show me pictures and tell me if/why you love it or hate it.

Comments (33)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Tell me, why do you think having a MW in an island is any different than having it in base cabinet in general?

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Have you thought about the Sharp microwave drawer? I have a friend who has one. She absolutely loves it.

• sylace
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Isn't that SUPER expensive? It sounds great though! :)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

A base cabinet in an island will be the same height as base cabinet along the wall. We do have a MW in a base cabinet, but it's a MW Drawer so the height isn't as much an issue. I would not want a front-opening MW below counter level, though, as you would have to either stoop or bend over pretty far to put/get dishes in/out of it. It would also be more difficult to use the controls. But, I'm fairly tall and the rest of my family is taller, so maybe that's just us. I know that others (Alku05 comes to mind) have put regular MWs below counter.

Picture of Alku05's MW cabinet below the counter:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0814540620045.html

Picture of my MW drawer. I have the 30".

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I have the same thoughts. I don't know why you would want to bend down to get into a microwave. I am putting mine in an upper cabinet. My builder loves the drawers. I didn't want to pay the extra money and I still like the idea of the MW being at eye level.

• User
    15 years ago

Here is my Advantium below counter. You would need a micro that has a bottom hinge so it opens like an oven for ease of use. A side hinged micro would be annoying. My neighbor has the Sharp drawer which is where I got the idea for the Advantium below counter. It is no different than an oven in terms of putting things in and out. My kids can use it safely to reheat without worrying about them spilling hot food on themselves.

FYI Advantium specs prohibit placement below counter height but the GE guy didn't question it when he was here.
    I don't see it as any different than an oven in a base cabinet.

• holligator
    15 years ago

If you have a range, you'll be fine, because it's not as far as bending for the oven in a range. If you went with a cooktop and wall ovens because that kind of bending bothered you, then you won't like your MW in a base cabinet. I went from a cooktop and wall ovens to a range to get more counter space. Bending down for the MW doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm 5'11".

I put the MW shelf in my island. I had the cabinet maker build it to the specs of the Sharp drawer, in case I ever decide to get one, but so far I haven't. I just love having it out of the way and, most importantly, off the counter. I only use my MW about three or four times a week, so that's another factor.

Here's mine...

• natesgramma
    15 years ago

I love having mine in the island. It faces the oven/range and is not in view. It does take a little while to get used to where the button are since they won't be at eye level. The only thing that has been an occasional problem is when bringing something out that is steaming. I just need to remember to back away and not lean over it.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

there have been lots of discussions on this. if you search for the sharp MW draws you'll get more info.

it seems most people want their MW out of the way (depending on how often it is in use). Mine is in my island. It works out fine (pic below). Had I a bigger kitchen with a longer run of countertops, I'd have done something like this:

It is a cabinet that sits right on the countertop (in my opinion the perfect height for a MW:

Here is a pic of my MW in island:

• Buehl
    15 years ago

With a range you pull out the rack and then lift the item out. With a MW, you have to reach inside...there's no rack to pull out.

• alku05
    15 years ago

Buehl, that's a good point, but remember, with an oven, you have that oven door sticking our blocking your way, but with most microwaves, the door swings out of the way.

I actually find the undercabinet microwave very handy- I like being able to pull stuff out and place it on the counter above.

Buehl already linked a thread with my pictures in it, but I'll post them here also just to keep all of this discussion together.

Our microwave is in a highly visable location, so the doors were a must for me. If you choose doors, besure you get the ones that slide in so they don't block the aisle or other cabinets while the microwave is in use.

• shaker26
    15 years ago

Thanks for this post! I am having the same dilemma- and must decide by Monday what to do about a microwave. I just posted our plans and mentioned my microwave problem in another post:
    "Help we are ready to gut our kitchen!"
    In our drawing we have the Sharp drawer microwave in the island. I am not a big fan...I am sure people love it but I think it is bulky and expensive. I also worry with the open and closing mechanism- we will break it in no time.

Mamadadapaige, I see you have it and it looks good but I do not want the bulk. I do love the option you osted..kind of an appliance garage- or plain cabinet at counter height-for those with the counter space- I love this! (Wish I had the space- we are actually getting rid of the appliance garage in our drawing.)

I also prefer this counter height- for a microwave no need for bending.

I must say, if I am going to put it in the island, I like
    alku05's option. A basic cabinet and basic small microwave that could still be built in the island and used for other things down the road if you do away with a microwave- but with doors that slide back into the sides of the cupboard.

If I do not use the island I am going to try to build one into a cabinet but I am limited to 12" depth. I actually like a small microwave- I have kids, we use it lots, but I will also have double ovens. I am looking at the GE Profile Spacemaker II- it is just over 12" deep.

One Warning!
    My neighbor put a microwave in her island. The appliance contact said she did not need special venting (I am not sure what kind she purchased). Anyway, her island is topped with Brazilian Cherry or teak and warped quickly from the heat.

• shaker26
    15 years ago

alku05-
    What do you store in the drawer below your microwave?

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

shaker26... I am with you on the Sharp MW... it is bulky and expensive. It sort of bothers me a little in my kitchen. I have very little wall space and felt I didn't have another option. Had I seen Alku05's that is probably what I would have done. I like it better than seeing the MW on a shelf but unfitted. For me, it would be worth the hassle of opening the doors and bending over as I use my MW so infrequently.

Anyway, I know there are those that love the Sharp MW draws, but I am not among them, although I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mistake.

good luck

• bethesdamom2008
    15 years ago

I love my microwave in the island! I do not find it too low. It is perfect for serving kids leftovers on a rough night. Just pop food in the microwave and the sever to the kid sitting at the counter.

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

I am having a MW dilemma as well.

I looked at the Sharp MW drawer and couldn't figure out how I would clean it, especially after a tomato sauce explosion. I couldn't fathom how I would get my arm in there and be able to see what I was doing, nor if the mess was between the drawer mechanism and the side of the MW. The appliance guy said I probably could remove the "door" but that seemed like a major PITA and I could just imagine what would happen if I dropped it.... The other thing I noticed is that the MW drawer is rather shallow and I would make sure the containers I use in the MW would fit (I use the Pyrex white cooking/serving pieces with the clear glass lids and from what I could tell in the store, they would not fit in the MW drawer with the lids on).

My current plan is to go with a range and put a single oven and MW in the same cabinet. I don't like to bend down for the oven, but realized that with a double wall oven I would still have one oven low like in a range configuration. So in order to save some $$ I am going for the range and one wall oven and will place the microwave below the wall oven if I like the height or go above the wall oven if it's too low.

I'd love to solve my problem by using 2 wall ovens next to each other, but I think I would lose too much drawer space and the kitchen would seem too boxy.

I'd probably put the MW in my island if I wasn't going to use it for my Rev-A-Shelf mixer.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Our Sharp MW drawer will be installed into the island over the next few days. This was one of those more difficult decisions for me as I prefer to have my microwave up higher. Since we did not have the space, I ended up compromising with the drawer and I'm hoping that once the kitchen is up and running I will really like it. I understand your concern, but I think it is a great option if you don't have the room in your upper cabs.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

We have the Sharp 30" and it is worth every penny! The best part is that you lift straight up out of it, and you can stir things without having to take them out. Or, defrosting, you can move chicken pieces around without having to remove the plate or stand on your tip toes. I find it much safer removing a hot dish as well. And, it cooks better than my old one (3 years old) that had the rotating bottom.

We have our warming drawer below- perfect and out of the way.

The one thing I do think about because of an earlier post where someone said her sister or a friend called it an ovary cooker... I have mine right below my main prep/chop area, and ever since I heard that comment, I have to say, I do think about it....but, I'm done with my ovaries and I still need my brain - so go figure :-)!

Overall, it's been one of the good decisions in our kitchen! This picture is from during construction and does not show it the best though:

{{!gwi}}

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

mindimoo... your kitchen is GORGEOUS!!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

A bunch of friends rent a house in the Outerbanks every summer, and last year the MW was under the counter in the kitchen. All the women hated it (myself included). We all thought it was very awkward. My GC and KD really wanted me to put my MW under the counter in my peninsula. I ended up using the space for a beverage refrig. I'm very happy with my decision. (PS Don't tell anyone, but I kept my OTR MW that I like.). I guess everyone's different. Good luck in your decision!
    Barb

• annettacm
    15 years ago

I've had OTR and a micro in the island below the counter, so I can judge both. For me, the ideal would be to have it at eye level, but that didn't work into the plan. I didn't find the below-counter any less difficult than OTR. In fact, I liked the idea that I could put a hot dish right on the counter top rather than on the stove top. If I was using the cooktop at the same time as the micro, it was awkward to get to the OTR and awkward to put stuff down.

The drawback to below the counter is that you do have to bend slightly to reach in and out, but no more so than using a regular oven or reaching into base cabinets. I liked the fact that it was out of the way, and I loved having a real hood instead of a OTR.

I took a billion pictures of my old kitchen remodel, but NONE of the microwave. Silly me.

• annettacm
    15 years ago

By the way, in my new house, I'm back to the OTR... I actually do miss my island microwave. Was just using it, and had to reach over boiling water to pull out my hot bowl. Much harder, IMO.

• julie7549
    15 years ago

We love our microwave drawer. Being able to reach into it, rather than stand in front of it and lean down, I find very handy. I like it much better than our old OTR model and find it a lot safer to lift hot foods out of the drawer than taking hot food out at eye level, easier to stir things, too. I'm able to use the countertop as a holding area for foods that are going in there and it's out of the way of the cooktop area. If I had it to do over, I would do exactly as I did.

{{!gwi}}

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

I love having my MW in the island. It really isn't a big deal to bend to get to it.
    It faces my kitchen table, so we can just turn in our chair to take things in or out, too.
    It's very convenient with hot food going right onto the island. I think it would be harder to take hot soup from a MW over the range.
    I like that it is out of the way and not an eyesore.

• sylace
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So many opinions, this is awesome!
    OK, so, the MW drawer is out because it's too expensive for us.
    We are now trying to decide if we want it in the island or on the counter behind doors like mamadadapaige showed.

I think I'm hoping to have enough space on the counter, I have to admit it would be easier in that location. But I'm not totally against having it in the island if we have no choice. I suppose you get used to it.

Thanks for all the replies, this is such an awesome board!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Shaker26-

The deep drawer under the micrwave cabinet holds all of our "tupperware". The counter there is a nice place for packing up leftovers b/c it's in between the rangetop and the fridge. We keep ziplock bags and plastic wrap in one of the narrow drawers right there too.

• xena45
    15 years ago

Mindimoo, what is that beige/tan paint color that you're using? I really like it!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Artteacher and others w/"regular" (not drawer) microwaves:

What model do you have? I'm looking for a compact (probably less than 1 cu ft) as a second microwave to put in my 50" x 39" island.

Thanks

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

xena45 - funny! No one ever asked about my paint color until this week and now this is the second time!

The paint is Enoki by C2 Paints. It's less beige than the photo makes it out to be, at least in my house, it has a gold-green tone to it, maybe a bit more camel?

Anyway, I love C2 colors, they are very drenched with color and use about an average of 7 pigment colors in each paint.

We do like it, it seems to blend with many different colors. However, I have been toying with the idea of a French Grey now that our lovely countertops have been installed. You have to understand, I love change and am constantly updating here and there around my house. If we do go with the FG in the kitchen and family, we will keep the Enoki in the master suite, it's lovely.

Thanks for asking!
    Mindi

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I have had a micro in a base unit undercounter peninsula for 18 years,
    it has never been a problem.
    In my remodel I am planning a micro/conv.
    oven builtin undercounter in an island.
    Good luck!
    vic

• fefifaux
    15 years ago

Hi Mindimoo! I know you've been asked about the wall color in your kitchen, but I'm interested in the color of your cabinets. Mind telling me if you ordered them that way (and, if so, the mfg and color) or if you had them painted (and, if so, what color)? Thanks!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

We have the Sharp microwave drawer, and I love it.

I can't describe exactly why I like it, but I do. I think I would hate a regular microwave in the island, where I would have to bend down to use it.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals