Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurenjay_gw

sink protector

laurenjay
11 years ago

I have a new Blanco stainless steel sink. I'm thinking about getting the sink protector for this sink. What do people think of this? It costs $70.00. I know it will protect that sink from getting scratched but I'll never really see the bottom of the sink with the protector in.

Comments (7)

• carybk
    11 years ago

There are previous threads on this. Some love them for drainage, avoiding scratches, being able to pour things out without swamping what is sitting in the sink. Some hate to clean them and don't see the point. I'm in the latter group.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I have the blanco performa stainless sink and prep sink. DH does the dishes and picked out the sinks but refused to get the grid. He thinks its easier to clean the sink than the grid. I've been using the sinks for about 4 months and they are clearly scratched and scuffed all over. It does not bother me.

I had purchased the matching cutting board from blanco that was supposed to fit over the sink. I didn't think to give it to my countertop fabricator and the board did not sit properly in the rim, so I returned it. I also bought the stainless colander, but its nothing special.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

What is the sink protector made out of ? Are you talking about the grid that sits in the bottom ? If so, I have grids in the bottoms of my sinks and really like them. I throw them in the dishwasher periodically to clean them. After the dishwasher is fully loaded, I lay them across the top of the dishes on the bottom rack. Easy.

• labbie
    11 years ago

We purchased one for our stainless sink through Amazon. It was worth every penny (although I almost choked at the price!. Now that we have had it for a while I am so glad we did it.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I have a stainless sink (serves as both prep and cleanup) and it took me several months to make peace with my grid. Yes, there's the silly chasing of food underneath with the sprayer that would be more easily done with a swish of a hand. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. I love being able to stack large things to dry in there, even while I'm prepping other things. As far as cleaning goes, about once a week I take it out, thoroughly scrub the sink and then the top and underside of the grid. I don't care if the sink scratches, so I don't use the grid for protection. It's that it creates a useful second level/purpose to the sink.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Recently I noticed that mine is leaving marks on my white Kohler cast iron sink. It appears that rust is coming through the white coating on it. I kept seeing this odd orange staining on my sink and it was really hard to get off. Maybe I ruined it by putting it into the dishwasher...it looks ok except that it is leaching out orange rust from the broken down coating that is also stained an orange color. It is not from anything that I have used in the sink or poured into it. So I would say if you are going to get one, going with the stainless might hold up better.

I have mixed feelings about it, I only got it to protect the pretty finish on my beautiful new sink and it is somewhat occasionally useful in setting vegetables on to drain but I can't really think of any other reason for it. I'm sorry I spent so much money on something that I have only had a few months and has already failed.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I bought the sink grids (silgranite not stainless sink) - I don't store anything in the sink - so the grid lives above the fridge except when I wash dishes in the sink - but almost everything lives in the DW.

I think the grid is a good idea overall - if you happen to drop a heavy pan - it will injure the grid and less likely the sink but I think if the germs living in the little rubber feet - so I just can't let it live there - directions say - hand wash only - but a recent poster puts in DW - so it might move out from its garage.