Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junicb

Last minute upper layout HEEEEELLLLPPPP!

junicb
11 years ago

I thought that my layout was settled - my partner and I agreed, we sketched out the compromise layout.life was good. Then the GC gives it the thumbs down. Or, at least, he strongly discourages having the range that close to the corner. So, when we try to scoot the range over to the right, it throws off our upper layout (because of the window).

Argh! What to do?!

One possibility is to forgo all uppers on the wall, and have either nothing or some open shelves.

The other is to put some narrow uppers on either side of the range hood. There's room for a 9 inch upper on the window side (to the right of the hood). But 9 inches seems awfully narrow - would they just look anemic and sad? I'm attaching a low-tech mock-up of this, but it doesn't give me a feel of what 9 inch uppers really look like.

I didn�t think a whole lot about the uppers - I just assumed that they would flow naturally once the base cabinet layout was set. It's probably bananas that someone (myself) who reads GW every day just typed that, but it's the truth. We've asked for a few more days to get our act together. Our contractor was understanding (in fact, he suggested we just install the lowers and do the uppers at an undetermined time in the future, but that sounds like a bad idea to me...).

We were planning on IKEA with Scherr's doors, but at this point, we may be looking at mostly Scherr's to get what we want (curse you, limited IKEA sizing!).

Please lend me some upper wisdom!

Comments (4)