Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vindivino

New cream kitchen will it clash w/ white trim in my home??

vindivino
15 years ago

I am planning a kitchen redo with creamy (SW Alabaster or Divine White) cabinets in my kitchen and butler's pantry. I will have the crown molding and trim painted to match the new cabs. I live in an older home (1912) with clear separation between rooms (although the butler's pantry does enter into our dining room) do I need to worry about the fact that the remainder of my home has white trim and white crown molding? This potential problem is something that did not cross my mind until I read other posts regarding creamy kitchens and exisitng white trim.

Please help!

Comments (7)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I asked the same question, though about a less discrete kitchen, and came away feeling I could get away with white trim (very minimal) in BM "Cloud White" and a more creamy cupboard colour. I won't be sure until I see it but I think it will work. It doesn't sound like you need to be too concerned.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

I did cream crown molding in my bathroom and white crown in the rest of the house. I made the transition in the doorway and no one has even notice yet. Try to make it in a door way or where the molding has to go around a corner so its not being looked at as a color change so much as a room change.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Well, I have the converse (white kitchen with the rest of house's trim so creamy it's actually a pale yellow) and I have to say, it works just fine. Like yours, there is no spot where the two trims have to meet, although our kitchen is open to the family room, so the white is on Full Display. But it doesn't seem odd, because the cabinetry (and the trim in the kitchen / breakfast nook is all also white) is a whole.

Does that make any sense?

Anyway, don't know if that's at all helpful, but living with it these past six months I have to say it has never once jarred my eye. In fact, I kinda like that it's different!

• leahcate
    15 years ago

I have learned that we all worry too much over these kind of small issues. So much just isn't noticed! With paint, the same color can take on different looks from room to room due to the lighting differences in each room. No one remarks on that and no one will notice your kitchen is cream vs. white elsewhere. Been there/doing that:>) Trust me, it's fine, I promise!

• athomewith3
    15 years ago

I have pure white shutters and crown moulding in my kitchen and a cream colored island. No one notices the color change at all and actually opted for them not to "match".

{{!gwi}}

• vindivino
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for setting my mind at ease. I will try to adopt the helpful mindset that leahcate offered and not get so hung up on the small issues!

• Cheryl Davis
    3 years ago

I am so happy to see someone else ask this question! I have the same dilemma. It never occured to me when I chose my kitchen cabinets to give any thought to the trim. I just knew I was afraid of sterile white cabinets at the time re remodeled in 2012. My kitchen is cream but all the trim in the entire home is white. All the mouldings & trim in the kitchen match the cabinets. The door between the cabinets which goes into the laundry room was white with white trim as shown in the photo. I ended up painting that a cream color to match the cabinets because it was so noticeable. I don't have a new picture to include showing it painted but it really made a difference. The backsplash has also been changed to a cream glass subway that matches the cabinets and the paint is blue like in the other pictures of adjoining rooms. However, the adjoining rooms (sunroom & family room) still have white trim. It would be a monumental and expensive job repainting all the trim that is visible from the kitchen, as it is an open floor plan with catwalk etc. so I am learning to live with it. Not sure if it is a mistake but I pretend it isn't. Haha!!