Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam18420

Broken Hafele Trash Pedal (alku05?)

tam18420
13 years ago

alku05: any updates on your broken Hafele trash pedal? I've had problems with the plastic parts as well and have superglued parts together. But it just broke again today. Were you able to just replace the broken parts?

Comments (18)

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Ours broke (it was that silver-colored curved pedal), and based on reviews online we chose to go with the brown one as a replacement (not do the silver one again). My husband installed it (he did not do the initial install, cabinetmakers did it) -- and it's been great ever since, better than the silver one (has a better foot feel, which sounds insane but it's true). I'll ask him if there are any particulars I should mention ....

• tam18420
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rmkitchen. Any information would be appreciated. We had the silver foot pedal as well and I'm just sick and tired of glueing parts together. Are your cabinets frameless as well? Did you have to make any modifications? Also, does the brown pedal one work similar to the silver pedal one? Are there plastic parts that can break? I tried to find photos of it, but can't.

• robainbinder
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone:

My name is Rob, Internet Marketing Coordinator for Hafele. I am also, an avid home DIYer. The Product Marketing Manager has asked that you post pictures of your broken pedals. We can then work on resolving your issues.

Thanks, Rob

• tam18420
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are pictures of the broken pedal.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• tam18420
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bump

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Bump
    Rob do you have contact information?

• alku05
    13 years ago

I don't make it over here very much these days, and I'm sorry I missed this post. We didn't get a response from Hafele in Spring of 2009. We should have pushed the issue with them, but to be honest we didn't because our first child was born right before it broke, and we were understandably busy.

I do hope Rob will be back. The part that tam184 posted is the same part broken on ours. Sure would be great to get a replacement of just that piece. I can dig out pictures if needed.

• rob_ainbinder_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Sorry for the extreme delay. I wish GardenWeb would email you when you receive a follow-up message. I have relayed the pictures to the Product Marketing Manager. When I know something more I will update.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

In the interest of potential statistical analysis, I would add that when my cabinets arrived last year, one of two (silver) foot pedals was broken, or broke immediately when the cabinets were first tested after installation, I am unclear which. The cabinet maker, Ted Wood, had pre-installed the pedals.

The broken part was the metal flat spring, as I recall. I had the cabinet supplier provide a replacement, which I installed with greater conformance to Hafele's directions and which so far has not broken. However, the non-conforming aspect of the original installation did not appear to me to be a probable cause of the spring breakage.

kas

• robainbinder
    13 years ago

tam184, jejvtr and alku05 we are working out some details on how we can best help you.

• robainbinder
    13 years ago

Those from this topic that have e-mails associated with their GardenWeb accounts have been sent details regarding next steps.

**jejvtr** You do not have an email visible to other forum users. Please email me regarding next steps.

Thank you.

• tam18420
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, Christmas came a few days early for me this year. Rob (diyguy88) worked his magic and the Hafele product manager sent me a new replacement pedal which is supposed to be 50% stronger than the older version. The pedal is so functional and when it broke, I hated having to open the trash cabinet with my hands. Well, now I've got my pedal back and it's been great! Thanks Rob and Hafele for the super customer service.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Bumping this to give Rob (DIYguy88) from Hafele a BIG SHOUT OUT

He visited here, saw some problems & came through on his promise to make sure both Tam & I got replacement pedals - Got mine yesterday
    THANKS ROB - Hafele

• alku05
    13 years ago

I've also come back to extend a big Thank You to Rob for totally hooking us up too with the needed replacement parts. Kudos to Rob and Hafele for coming through for us!!!!

• robainbinder
    13 years ago

tam184 jejvtr alku05: Thank you for coming forward to notify the community (and us) of the issue. I am very glad to hear that you received the replacements! We hope this permanently fixes the issue for you. Please enjoy the trash pedal for many years to come. Rob, Hafele Internet Manager.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Good to know there is an option if ours breaks!

• robainbinder
    12 years ago

Although I am no longer employed by Hafele, I would encourage anyone else with the same issue to contact the company via the 800 number on the Web site.

If customer service can't seem to help simply ask to speak with the Kitchen Product Manager.

Rob

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the Hafele Web site

• buffett
    12 years ago

Rob, thanks. I'm considering this unit for our renovation and your help to others really encouraged me to go with the Hafele product. Too bad for them (and us) you're not still employed there!